The Immortal Alphabetical Game #2 - Alexander

t248 DomV - 4 points
Spoiler :
I enjoyed the Achievements, but forgot to re-read them, so I started annexing cities like crazy once I got Autocracy's happy policies. :rolleyes:

Wine - 1pt - after whacking Poc he planted a late expo near the S wine (I had a Settler on the way). I started bashing his city, but miscalculated and left it with about 1 hp. Dido had a Knight 2 tiles away, but didn't take it (?), so Belgrade took it and puppeted it (all the N CS allies razed cities). So I had to delay victory a few turns to knock it down enough after I DOW'd my full-game ally. :cry:

Women - 0 pts - Like I said, I annexed about 2/3 of captured cities.

Song - 3 pts - For good measure I did 2 tours on Dido the last turn after yet another DOW.

Roleplay - 0 points, lost Oracle by 3 turns, and didn't have the right policies anyway.

This game got way too easy way too fast. I just pumped out units until the very end. I bought a Pub School in cap for the heck of it - I don't think I even had more than 3 Factories. A very silly game, I've never had such low beakers this late in a game.

Maria was kind of hard to get at, of course. I had 2 Arty NE of her cap and just slowly wore her down. Even Germany with the GW was a piece of cake, he was still only fielding XB and Muskets on t226.

Full Trad, 3 Liberty, full Commerce, 6 in Autocracy. I ended with Big Ben, Brandenburg, and Pyramids in Athens. It was nice to pump out Range Frigates with Heroic Epic, etc.
Spoiler :

Spoiler :
Achievements
Wine: I settled cities near all wine luxuries, except the one at the south of the mountains. I got Belgrade in a peace deal with Venice. I annexed it, bought a few tiles until the next border growth would be on the wine.
Women: I started my push on Moson Kahni and then Venice. These were the only two capitals I annexed. I puppeted all other capitals. I didn't bother to conquer and then raze all the women's other cities.
Song: I sent a musician to the nearby city I had left Carthage with.
The Roleplay: This really was the trickiest achievement to get. Not going full Tradition meant delayed Aqueducts and not going full Liberty meant no free GE to rush NC or Oracle (when you have to build both).

Mistakes
1. Not enough culture: The Roleplay achievement requires even more culture than a normal game due to added policies (detour). However, as is the case in most of my Domination games I neglected culture a bit. I don't think I was friend even once with a cultural CS all game. I also decided to farm some workers from Bucharest which is a cultural CS.
2. Dealing with Dido: Unlike some others here, I didn't block Dido from reaching the rest of the continent by settling SW or SE of the mountains. I also didn't farm any workers from here. Dido also went Honor this game which meant early Great General and the ability to climb over mountains (UA). She did a nasty 4-city push in the early 100s against Athens. Since she had no limitrophe neighbors, I couldn't bribe any other civilizations to go against her. I had to build many CBs and a wall to hold. The terrain near Athens was still really favorable despite her UA. Carthage was the only capital I took pre-Artillery.
3. Religion: By settling near the two faith Natural Wonders, I thought I would get the religious edge this game. I was in error. The Celt built many if not all the faith wonders and was spamming missionaries and prophets like crazy. I should have bribed Germany (which was my buddy) to DoW the Celts earlier to stop their religion spreading. I also decided to try the Just War enhancer for this game, but it's really not helpful for an artillery push. The +20% only applies to their low base damage (and not +200% bonus against cities). For an XB rush, maybe it could have been a more appropriate strategy.
4. End game: I hit Dynamite T178 which is a bit late. I should have only built units from then on, but got distracted by building too many buildings (banks, military academies, factories, etc.) Germany just had discovered Flight before I ended the game.

Civ5Screen0013.jpgCiv5Screen0014.jpg

1pt: Wine: Controlled all except 1 during initial expand, popped a city for the other one at the south later with free liberty settler.
2pts: Women: Puppeted all women's capitals, but left most of them alive, did not annex a single city.
3pts: Song: I have 4 musicians ready but only 1 needed for CV.
4pts The Roleplay: Turn 94 Oracle used to get monarchy from tradition, having previously gone representation from liberty. The hybrid liberty tradition approach slowed early game a lot. It is impossible to also get free settler from liberty and get to monarchy in time with oracle. Finished full tradition afterwards, and liberty after the initial conquest phase.

Peaceful game until eastern neighbor backstab but it came late as I was already in modern era already with airplanes and artillery. Land army was basically tanks and rocket arty and battleship/carriers for navy. Immortal AI tech so slowly that the war was quick and easy, I just delay winning due to wanting to get a CV instead of straight DomV. In the end, got full tradition, full liberty, patronage opener, 4 in rationalism, 4 commerce, full aesthetics, 6 freedoms, so tons of SP.
In the end, in addition to a CV, I played 1 more turn and captured the final capital for a true domination victory.

Spoiler :

T306 Diplo V

Spoiler :
I know little about DV but had to try it with this civ. Venice, of course scooping up CS was a nuisance. I just managed to scrounge up my 37 votes allied to all remaining CS and getting 5 votes from Diplomats and two from World Ideology which I barely managed to pass thanx to Germany choosing Freedom 2 turns prior to the vote.

A for women I slapped Dido silly until finally a ship from Kabul (it could have taken my boot camp Utique 75 turns earlier) ended her life.

Shoshone was gearing up to attack, but I had enough good units and he thought better.

Full Liberty, Patronage and Rati and some Freedom.

Decent and very useful religion as clobbering Dido prevented her spread and Boudicca never got going well in the north and was wiped out.

No achievements, I just tried win earlier than last game's T421!

T297 Domination Victory 6pts
Spoiler :

Decided not to go for Roleplayer.

3 city liberty composite bow rush after seeing Backstabby Dido. By the time I had finished Dido (declaring war on her three times) everyone hated my guts. 2 or 3 man DOWs were par for the course, but that didn't really do anything because I have too many units.

Germany built Red Fort and Great Wall, and I was faced with a 90 defense city when I had just got to Industrialization. Eventually teched to Artilleries, Landships and finally Bombers to get rid of Lisbon behind the mountains.

Top Bottom