The Immortal Alphabetical Game #3 - Assyria

Gustavus Rex

Prince
Welcome to The Immortal Alphabetical Game #3

Rolled a map since nobody else seemed to show any interest and I wanted a nice immortal game for the weekend. I haven't tried the map out for more then a couple of turns so I hope it's not a complete disaster!

Have fun!

Game #3 Assyria

Map type & settings:

Spoiler :
Frontier/Continents, standard size, standard time, sparse luxuries & raging barbarians turned on.

Achievements:

1p: Conquer an AI-capital using a Siege Tower.
2p: Get 10+ technologies from conquering cities.
3p: Get more than 6000 in final score!

Starting position:

Attachments

• IAG #3 Assyria.Civ5Save
    683.5 KB · Views: 160
Spoiler :
Achievements
1. Conquered two capitals with a Siege Tower (Persepolis & Delhi).
2. Stole 13 technologies total from conquest.
From Egypt: Thebes (Sailing), Memphis (Bronze Working)
From Persia: Ecbatana (Drama & Poetry), Susa (Theology), Persepolis (Chivalry), Pasargadae (Physics), Tarsus (Banking)
From India: Pataliputra (Acoustics), Delhi (Gunpowder), Varanasi (Architecture)
From Venice: Venice (Archaeology)
From Shoshone: Moson Kahni (Electricity)
From France: Chartres (Railroad)
3. Got a final score of 6397!

3-city Liberty CB rush (semi-failed)
Finding Persia on the continent T111 (lol)
Rush buying happiness buildings every single turn with 500+GPT
49 cities and the win!

Note: I suggest going H-C-A this game

Civ5Screen0015.jpgCiv5Screen0020.jpgCiv5Screen0034.jpgCiv5Screen0035.jpgCiv5Screen0037.jpg

Note: I suggest going H-C-A this game

Not sure about that, getting 6k score requires an extremely wide empire with high pop and I'm not sure Autocracy is enough, especially if any culture civ gets to modern and get another ideology up. It is difficult to keep that many cities prior to ideology anyway.

I think the happiness from Autocracy and Commerce allows a very wide empire.

I am half way through this game and so far the happiness is ok. I cleared the initial continent and just found the other guys (somehow in my game the AI didn't like exploring much, I only new one other civ at a time, after I found them and I was at war with them the entire time). But I only kept 6 conquered cites (plus 3 founded). I don't think I will be reaching the 6000 point score though, I count that DanQuayle has at least 17 cities on the original continent, so unless I start planting cities at T200 it probably won't happen.

I think in this game Order with Resettlement would be a fun thing to do, to get your score up.

I'm trying Order as one strong culture AI already picked Order and will kill my happiness otherwise. My conquest speed on the 2nd continent is also extremely slow to take advantage of the UA, and to let AI settle more cities.

Not sure about that, getting 6k score requires an extremely wide empire with high pop and I'm not sure Autocracy is enough, especially if any culture civ gets to modern and get another ideology up. It is difficult to keep that many cities prior to ideology anyway.

Autocracy policies can actually get you more local happiness per city (max 12) than Order (max 9) or Freedom (max 6). All ideologies also have Universal Healthcare. Hydro Plants (Order), Observatory (Order) and Mints (Freedom) are also terrain dependent. Courthouses can only be built in annexed cities, but most of your cities will be anyway.

Spoiler :
In my game I went L-C-A and only had an happiness bottleneck before reaching Protectionism due to late guilds (around the time I reached India). I suggest going Honor because in my game I literally killed maybe 50 barbarian units if not more. I forgone a lot of potential culture by going Liberty and getting policies is key to getting more happiness. Also, since the game will be long, you will need to upgrade a lot of units and Professional Army will help. Building Barracks, Armory and Military Academies in half time (happiness buildings) would also have helped.

Also most of the CS are on your continent. You can get easy alliances by killing barbarian camps. Most of the CS on the other continent will be bought out by Venice. You can thus easily control the World Congress by passing your own ideology. In my game, only France and Japan had the time to reach Ideologies and both picked Order. Due to my massive culture output by winning World's Fair, both were Unknown to me and had zero Tourism ideological pressure.

Yes, theoretically autocracy can net me more happiness, especially if I build Prora, but problem is there is one AI that went Order, managed to build every modern era tourism wonder, and going autocracy would get me -40 at a time where it is crucial to stay happy due to many more cities in the path of conquest. Actually Freedom is also competitive for happiness due to Universal Suffrage, and it is also possible to transfer happiness from capital to other cities if going tradition, but its effect is slower for smaller cities. Problem with Autocracy also relies with annexing cities at a time where I have a huge amount of puppets. In order for it to do well, you need courthouses, military buildings, and defense buildings, which I usually don't build if I started war with archer/CB. I've found that going Order is the best unless there is no other strong tourism producing civ where I'll go Autocracy for the higher happiness ceiling.

Obviously, the solution is to remove the offending culture powerhouse. Eliminated AI don't have ideological pressure.

Obviously, the solution is to remove the offending culture powerhouse. Eliminated AI don't have ideological pressure.

I've been trying to do that for at least 50 turns, and still can't get to his capital. Of course he has the Great Wall, most defensive wonders, and units that can eat my artillery before I get bombers/fighters. Therefore it wasn't efficient to clear him out and it's better to follow his ideology and kill him later with superior units.

I tried the HCA strategy and it worked ok, but I think tradition would have helped me a lot more here, as in the beginning I was deeply in negative GPT, and this lead to finishing the NC at turn 123! Got achievements 1 and 2.

Spoiler :
The start was pretty standard for honor, settled 3 cities and started building some archers and siege towers. I didn't get to steal workers but found some in barb camps. I also build some of my own. After construction I attacked Egypt with CBs, archers and siege towers. They fell pretty easy, as most of their expos were weak. I lost one siege tower but not any other units. I got 5 techs from them, oddly all 5 were techs that I was currently researching. I deliberately did not research philosophy in hopes of getting it for free, but that did not happen. My research was very low due to negative GPT so I took advantage of the money I got from egypt conquests to upgrade my archers and research philosophy without penalties. I only kept 2 Egyptian cities, the other 3 were razed because I did not have enough happiness. After completely eliminating them, I search for a next opponent, Mt. Kilimanjaro bonus was really helpful for marching my army and finding Persia.

Oddly Persia did not expand at all, they had 2 cities, and didn't really explore the area. They had the GW but the culture borders around the capital were so poorly developed that that did not bother me that much. Took the capital with 3 siege towers and 4-5 CBs then the expo was pretty easy, since I could upgrade the CB to XB. I found India in the mean time, and they fell pretty easy. I added a knight to my army (CS gift) and conquered all 3 of their cities with only one casualty, a siege tower was lost while attacking Delhi but I still had 2 left that survived the entire game.

After clearing my continent I used the army to clear barb camps and do a bunch of cs quests. I had the patronage opener because Icould not open commerce with the 7th policy, so that helped a lot. At about that time I found the other continent and saw that the AIs were actually at about the same techs as I was. Only japan was in industrial, and I had just rushed industrialization with a bulb.

I was first to ideology (got it with 3 factories), and after getting total war from autocracy, rushed an army of 3 range frigates to start the conquest of the other continent.

I realized I couldn't make 6000 points, but I kept the original plan of completely whipping out the AIs, first France then Venice then Japan and last the Shoshone.
By the time I got the Shoshone capital I was using artillery, infantry and bombers.

I conquered all capitals with siege towers, and got a total of 11 techs form the ai (5 form Egypt, 2 from Persia, 3 from India and 1 form France). In the end the total score was little above 3000. I tried settling some more cities, but it was pointless. The AIs on the other continent didn't have a big number of cities either, so even though I kept every city, it still wasn't even nearly enough. I think a tradition commerce order strategy would have worked a lot better for getting the number of points.

The crazy thing about this map was the huge number of barb camp quests, that lead to being allied with all the CS on the continent without any effort.

Attachments

• 2016-02-07_00001.jpg
    2016-02-07_00001.jpg
    477.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 2016-02-07_00002.jpg
    2016-02-07_00002.jpg
    460.8 KB · Views: 116
  • 2016-02-07_00003.jpg
    2016-02-07_00003.jpg
    430.8 KB · Views: 131
Turn 328 SV, zero points.
5 city tradition. I was going to use my one siege tower to get a small city but it got one shot. Oh well.

1p: Conquer an AI-capital using a Siege Tower.
Took 2 capitals on starting continent with Siege Towers.

2p: Get 10+ technologies from conquering cities.
Total of 13 technologies before running out of tech to steal:
Writing, Trapping, Horseback riding, Civil Service, Education, Printing Press, Economics, Navigation, Rifling, Archaeology, Biology, Electricity, Radio

3p: Get more than 6000 in final score!
Wasn't clear if OP wants adjusted score but was close nevertheless with 5912 adjusted and 4320 raw. Probably another 20 turns would be enough but ran out of patience to wait for it. Took every AI cities slowly so that AI has a chance to grow and plant more cities, never razed a single city and still wasn't enough, maybe needed to take CS.

Classic liberty CB rush with siege towers.

Spoiler :

Top Bottom