The Immortal Alphabetical Game #6-B - Augustus Caesar

Welcome to The Immortal Alphabetical Game #6B!

Map type & settings:
Spoiler :
Pangea, Raging Barbs, hand-picked opponents - this game was super-easy IMO (and fun!)
Achievements:
The Glory of Rome -- 20 points
- Cannot buy buildings in expos. Cannot construct a building in an expo unless it is first present in Rome (except Walls and Barracks line, or if it requires a unique Rome lacks - like a Circus or Hydroplant might).

All Roads Lead To Rome -- 20 points
- Only Legions can build roads

Augustus, Wonder Whore -- 1 point for each World Wonder built

Citizenship, not Enslavement
Subtract 2 points for every CS Worker captured and kept, -4 for every AI Worker or Settler captured and kept (you can delete them next turn)

Cultural Victory -- 10 points, plus:
No conquest -- 20 points (no keeping/selling/razing captured cities - only Liberation)
Civs Recalled to Life -- 5 points each
AI Cities Liberated -- 5 points each
CS Liberated -- 5 points each

(The goal is to win a self-created CV, where wars are not used to capture Workers, Wonders, and GWorks, but are used to profit from AI aggression through liberation. Don't worry, there will be blood! Also, you get no points for Liberation etc. if you don't win a CV.)

Starting position:
Spoiler :

Super map spoiler, don't read if you want to play like I did, blind:
Spoiler :
The N coast is landlocked. I typically hate ice blockages, but for this game they and the mountains allow for a super secure homeland, allowing wonder-whoring galore and allowing your army to do what needs to be done elsewhere.

Attachments

• Augustus_b-m-367.jpg
    Augustus_b-m-367.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 740
  • IAG_6-B_Augustus_Caesar.Civ5Save
    839.6 KB · Views: 98
  • IAG-6-B_Augustus_Caesar_Start.jpg
    IAG-6-B_Augustus_Caesar_Start.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 728
Build wonders, don't steal workers, and don't be aggressive. So, basically play the way I did when I first got the game, before I learned to play better on this forum? Got it. Sounds fun!

There are plenty of challenges posted that deal with fast turn times and/or domination (optimal play). Hope you enjoy those!

BTW, I chose to steal Workers, in part because I didn't have all the Achievements finalized when I started... I also built roads without Legions because I became impatient... I would be interested to see if anyone can get all the achievements.

Played about 70 turns, and I like it so far! Just to clarify, one achievement is no conquest (keeping or selling captured cities). This means you can capture and immediately raze cities, though, yeah? If that is allowed, you should be able to snag a few great works, moving them out before the city burns down.

And I already captured one cs worker. And I kept an AI settler I rescued from a barb camp. I just couldn't help myself, and I REALLY did not want to give a settler back to that AI. But aside from the workers, everything else seems doable.

Started this game and enjoying it immensely so far, great map, thank you for this one! :)
Spoiler :

Couldn't resist stealing one CS worker and keeping Japan's stolen settler though.

Opened Tradition and Honor to make use of the enraged barbs. Went full Tradition and left side of Honor, got ToA, Oracle, Petra, Notre Dame and a couple more wonders so far. Rome is twice as big as any AI city though. And oh man, my amazing scarcher (a soon-to-be crosscoutman) with altitude promotion now almost has range/logistics, looking forward to that :)

I didn't settle any expos because I didn't see any city spot worth the trouble. Which might be why I also couldn't resist starting a tiny little war which ended in capturing Dido's capital. Then I somehow found myself in a war against Assyria, Denmark and Mongolia all at once but things are going rather well. Keshiks in the hands of AI are rather useless.

I don't think I'll earn a lot of achievement points but I don't really mind since I'm having a blast with this one! :)

Played about 70 turns, and I like it so far! Just to clarify, one achievement is no conquest (keeping or selling captured cities). This means you can capture and immediately raze cities, though, yeah? If that is allowed, you should be able to snag a few great works, moving them out before the city burns down..
Nope! :D All Great Works need to be your own. You can only liberate cities in my mind, but feel free to post about your game as it unfolds for you - this isn't really a contest...

I ended up stealing 5 CS Workers (ouch) and 3 of an AI's later in war, as I had forgotten that objective. :blush:

Started this game and enjoying it immensely so far, great map, thank you for this one! :)
Glad you are enjoying it!
Spoiler :
I will post some of my game images in a few days, if I was to replay it I would setlle my cap differently. I did a typical 4 city Tradition (with Honor open, of course).

This a fun
Spoiler :
builder
map!

Spoiler :
Plenty of room here to just grow without fear of attack from AI. They are to busy fighting CS and each other.

I opened full Liberty>Oral Tradition, free GE at t90 made Parthenon. Then left side commerce, then piety. Very slow science. It doesnt matter that you cannot buy a building in your expos. What matters is cash buy in Rome to free up turns for wonders. You see that I will have cash to buy the Public School in Rome, then the others can begin to build it.

Here is a picture of my turtle empire on t208.
Spoiler :
Antium has just finished Pisa so I can get another wonder.

So far I have obeyed all the rules. My only regret is some of my expos could have used a stoneworks and Rome cannot build one because of resources. I stubbornly did not build any in the expos although it is allowed. I might go on a Liberation rampage now.

T205 update
Spoiler :
What a wonder-full map! Went Tradition- but didn't settle my 4th city until very late. I've managed to live in peace by first bribing mongolia to attack carthage, and then carthage to attack japan.

So far I have 13 wonders, including ToA, HG, and Petra in the cap, which makes for a crazy strong wonder factory. I built SH first to get a religion, getting Sun God and Feed the World first, followed by monasteries and evangalism (because I built Mosque of Djenne, so I said why not?)

Now Aztecs are starting to steamroll, so I should probably put an army together to get some of those liberation points.

@Puhi - your capital location is where I realized mine should have been...
Spoiler :
I settled the river hill NW of your cap, and expo'd NW of the incense - holy cow, did that expo kick butt with Petra! I think I had 13 wonders just there. It was weird, Japan never settled my peninsula like he did in your game.

T338 CV 87 points

Spoiler :

The Glory of Rome: Completed, 20 points
Buying buildings in the capital helps.
All Roads Lead to Rome: Completed, 20 points.
Made a Legion specifically for that.
Augustus, Wonder Whore: 17 points
Rome: Borobudur, Broadway, Cristo Redentor, Eiffel Tower, Hanging Gardens, Leaning Tower of Pisa, Louvre, Oracle, Porcelain Tower, Sistine Chapel, Statue of Liberty, Uffizi (12)
Antium: Globe Theatre, Hagia Sophia, Petra (3)
Cumae: Mausoleum of Halicarnassus, Sydney Opera House (2)
Total: 17 wonders
Citizenship, not Enslavement: Completed, 0 points.
Cultural Victory: Completed, No Conquest, 30 points

Total Points: 87

Comments:

Peaceful CV, warmongers don't really build wonders early so it's easy to wonderwhore for things like Mausoleum and Petra outside the capital...I basically got every wonder I wanted. I was friendly with everyone.
Then for some random reason, a while after I sent archaeologists out, everyone suddenly hated me and denounced me/became hostile etc. I bribed them against each other for a while but that did not stop Harold and Oda double DOWing me around when I had Radar. Unfortunately for them, bombers and artilleries destroy cannons and frigates.
They became friendly again after I got nukes...but by then I had over 800 TPT and had won already.

T281 CV

Spoiler :
I think 84 points. I built 20 wonders, stole 1 cs worker, kept an AI settler from a barb camp, won CV and did not conquer any cities; roads were only built by legions, and expos only hard build buildings already existing in Rome.

I was just focused on CV, so I didn't build an army to go liberating- there was plenty of opportunity to do so as the Huns, Mongolia, and Assyria all got wiped out, and several CS were taken over. I may go back and, instead of buying 2 GMs (never got to use the 2nd as the 1st gave me the CV) buy GS and see how many cities I can liberate. Probably wouldn't had much time, though, as I just finished NVC and Internet, and my religion was made world religion, so my tourism was through the roof. Never made it to International Games.

I played peaceful the whole game, bribing AI when needed so I could spam wonders. I ended up settling a 5th city to the east to grab aluminum, though the only use I got from it was buying a hydro plant in Rome. A couple turns from victory, Dido DoWd me, but I just rush bought a coulple great war bombers and that was the end of her attack.

Fun game having a capital with ToA, HG, and Petra. I think I may be spoiled now. Thanks for the map!

Spoiler :

Sorry after checking screenshot title is supposed to be 235 CV. Thanks to Nigel_Tufnel2 for putting in some work and making it an interesting map and challenge!

Spoiler :

It was a fairly standard game, I'll just mention what was out of the ordinary.
- Petra game for cap and settled NW with 1st expo. With all those wonders Education was super late, around t112.
- With all those culture CS, I focused a lot on solving CS quests. That meant early units, which set tech back even more.
- I also went Piety, and for once I think it worked. 2 religious buildings and SS to start generating tourism early. In the end I don't know it it's worth it. The policy cost is so high that science is slowed down a lot, and most of the tourism is made in the last 4-5 turns anyway.
- I rushed Radio after founding WC so I could propose IG for the 2nd. In the end Hotels did a lot of the work, but winning the games is a good backup in case of a runaway.
- Aztecs were the runaways, so I nudged others to attack him and he was actually wiped out.
- Surprise DoW from Dido, but it didn't really matter as I had units parked. One long expedition with legions south to liberate cities. I managed to ressurect Mongolia, but he was later wiped out again:(
- The 2nd expo turned out well, with 3 quarries and MoH.
- 18 wonders. After some mistiming I disobeyed the first rule to rush buy science buildings, the game would have been A LOT slower if I hadn't.

I would think if you liberate it from a second civ/CS you do get points, always. If It is just re-taken by the same civ, later liberations probably shouldn't count.

Yeah, I suppose if a different civ killed him off each time... You've certainly got the neighbors to do it!

t295 CV (102 points), but disqualified!
Spoiler :
So when I wrote out the final achievements, I went from memory, as it had been a couple weeks since I had played my game. It turns out I kept 2 AI cities in peace deals - no razing. That was one of my original rules (more painful to get a full-sized city), so when I saw the same Achievement in IAG 5 I thought, damn, it's gonna look like I copied it! Anyway, those forward cities made everything easier, so my numbers don't count.

All Roads...: 0
Wonders: 24
Citizenship: -12
Civs Recalled: 10 (Assyria, Khan)
AI Cities Liberated: 25 (Nimrud, Assur, Horsens, Karakorum, Hsia)
CS Liberated: 25 (Prague, Bratislava, Mombasa, Milan, Wellington)

My assumption for this map was that Khan would do his usually 2-3 CS sniping, get DOWd by everyone, and get eliminated mid-game. I was surprised he got 5 CS, and was not being held back very much until I entered the fray. Attila was always warring but never did much. Monte got kind of beastly, and almost took out Denmark, who I had a DoF most of the game. Dido stayed remarkably friendly until Ideologies, she took out Khan's original cities which I later recalled. Oda never did much all game except be a whiner and lose units to Dido.

If I play this again I definitely will settle the mountain river hill.
Spoiler :

Attachments

• IAG-6-B_Rome_CV.jpg
    IAG-6-B_Rome_CV.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 382
Spoiler :
The Glory of Rome: Completed, 20 points
Not particularly hard to achieve, but very annoying when you are building a lot of wonders in the capital. Also, delayed roads reduced the amount of money available for building rush buying.

All Roads Lead to Rome: Completed, 20 points.
Only made one late Legion (after Education). Took a while to connect all cities.

Augustus, Wonder Whore:
Rome: Chichen Itza, Sistine Chapel, Globe Theater, Uffizi, Louvre, Broadway, Cristo Redentor, Neuschwanstein, Hubble Space Telescope, Great Firewall (10)
Antium: Oracle, Hagia Sophia, Angkor Wat, Porcelain Tower, Pentagon, Big Ben (6)
Cumae: Colossus, Mausoleum of Halicarnassus, Machu Picchu, Sydney Opera House (4)
Neapolis: Hanging Gardens, Petra, Leaning Tower of Pisa, Taj Mahal, Eiffel Tower, CN Tower (6)
Total: 26 points

Citizenship, not Enslavement: Completed, 0 point.

Cultural Victory:
Cultural Victory Achieved (10)
No conquest (20)
Civs Recalled to Life: Cartage, Huns, Mongolia, Aztecs, Denmark (25)
AI Cities Liberated: Cartage, Qatma, Hippo Regius, Karakoroum, Attila's Court, Tlaxcala, Texcoco, Tenochtitlan, Theotihuacan, Calixtlahuaca, Ribe, Kaupang, Aarhus, Copenhagen, Viborg, Xochicalco (80)
CS Liberated: Zanzibar, Wellington, Budapest, Mobasa, Bratislava, Milan, Mogadishu, Kabul, Malacca (45)

I purposefully delayed the culture victory to liberate as many cities as possible. I also had to be careful each World Leader vote to not give myself an early victory after liberating so many civs and CS. I liberated Zanzibar and Cartage from Japan and the rest from Assyria. When first engaging Assyria, they had about 2.5x my amount of troops.

No Internet, No International Games, Rank of Augustus Caesar

Civ5Screen0038.jpgCiv5Screen0042.jpgCiv5Screen0076.jpgCiv5Screen0077.jpgCiv5Screen0080.jpgCiv5Screen0087.jpg

Wow! That's a lot of points! It looks like you settled in a unique way, and had a different military runaway than was typical. Well played!

Top Bottom