The Immortal Challenge Lineup - Game #1

Gustavus Rex

Prince
The Immortal Challenge Lineup - Game #1

Welcome to the Immortal difficulty version of the biweekly The Deity Challenge Lineup-event.

The setup for this is exactly the same and since I'm a poor writer in english I saved myself the time and shamelessly stole DingleBirdys beautiful choice of words below. :lol:

ICL Game #1
You - Japan
Total Civilizations - 8
Total City States -16
Map – Shuffle
Settings – Quick quick combat(turn it back on if you would like). Everything else is set to default.
Game Version -
Downloadable Content – G&K, BNW, Conquest of the New World Deluxe, Genghis Khan's Mongolia, Harold Bluetooth's Denmark, Isabella’s Sapin and Pachacuti's Incan Empire, Kamehameha's Polynesian Empire, Nebruchadnezzar's Babylon, Sejong The Great's Korea, Wonders of the Ancient World. The map pack are intentionally excluded.

This is where you start:

Game #1 - July 23th as Japan

Information & rules cut, pasted and slightly changed from The Deity Challenge Lineup:

All games in this series will be set to IMMORTAL difficulty. User civilizations, maps, and opponents will change each game, but the pace will always be set at standard and the starting era will always be ancient. We will try for a variety of starts, and not just having a crazy warmonger as your next door neighbor (although there will be that too). This isn't a competition so there will be no predefined victory conditions. New challenges in the series will be posted every other Wednesday.

Who can play?
Anybody can play. The more the merrier. Even if you normally don't play immortal games you are still welcome to try. The games can become great learning resources for the player trying to improve. Even if you don't finish the game, we are still interested to hear about your experience.

Do's and Don'ts
We are going to be using the honor system. Feel free to restart, reload, play the same game multiple times, but don't use the science overflow exploit. Also please don't edit the game in IGE. If you do chose to cheat, please don't share your results in the comments. Also, please use the spoiler tag if you post a picture, comment about neighboring civs, close by wonders, or locations of ancient ruins.

Also, please tell us about your Build Order, Social Policies, Tech Order, and what type of wonders you went after. I know a lot of this stuff seems pretty mundane to the experienced player, but the details are incredibly useful to people trying to learn.

Future Games in the Series
I want users to submit saves from turn 0. Preferably the person submitting the game has played enough turns to know the map is either difficult, fun, or unique in some enjoyable way. Write a short description as to why it is special and email the save to immortalchallengelineup@gmail.com

Important
If you submit a game for the challenge, you must have the DLC map packs disabled. Not everybody has them and they are honestly kind of useless. Having them disabled will allow more participants.

Results:

Cultural: Glory7 t145, dragonxxx t180

Science: Fireorb t308, Arathlo t325, Nigel_Tufnel t358

Domination: Grendeldef t206 ,Mutineer t???, Acken t169

Attachments

• ICL #1 Japan.Civ5Save
    685.9 KB · Views: 469
starting spot looks sweet. what exactly is shuffle map?

Shuffle is more random then random. Temperature, weather, luxuries, landmass etc. All random.

But the main thing I like about it is that you can't see what map-type it is and adjust your game based on that from turn one. You have to explore!

Oh, this had to be posted on the day I actually decide to give the Zulu DCL a shot, didn't it? :crazyeye: Maybe I'll pause the Zulu game for a short while and give this one a go, since it's so recent.

Shuffle is more random then random. Temperature, weather, luxuries, landmass etc. All random.

But the main thing I like about it is that you can't see what map-type it is and adjust your game based on that from turn one. You have to explore!

Sorry for asking, but what do Temperature and Weather affect, exactly? Tile yields?

Sorry for asking, but what do Temperature and Weather affect, exactly? Tile yields?

I don't know but my qualified guess is that hot maps has more desert/jungle, cold tundra snow. Wet got many marshes rivers and lakes, arid got less. Etc.

If you want to roll a desert with flood plains you might want to choose hot/wet

weather and probably affects the % of terrain type - like more desert if it's hot, and less tundra/snow.
i am more interested in the effect of world age.

i am more interested in the effect of world age.
World age should mainly modify mountain generation; more for a younger world, and less for an older world.

I am sure if I search I could find out, but I will ask anyway. How do you load the map into your steam game after you down load it?

I am sure if I search I could find out, but I will ask anyway. How do you load the map into your steam game after you down load it?

Just put the file in the folder with the other single player savefiles.

Don't know your exact directory but mine is

aspyr/civilization/saves/single

You'll find it ;)

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

My save file is located

C:\Users\yourusername\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Saves\single

Well i just played this not very focused and eating / chatting meanwhile so im not very fond of the finishing time but i didnt want to stress something.

Finished Turn 308 with Science

Spoiler :

To the game itself

Spoiler :
Its the usual snaky shuffle map with quite a big landmass for shuffle maps and very low water, so there is not so much jungle and forest (had shuffle maps with nearly 80% jungle :D

I did go tradition and was building 2 settlers when my cap had 4 pop and forward settled Songhai in his face. He stayed on one city for ages..

I met everyone Turn 52 so i could trade easily. The start of the game is a bit slow due to the lack of decent tiles to work. When getting up all the internal trade routes the growing gets a bit better but still far too much water for my taste...

Hit Education around t110 which is quite late but understandable due to the massive water and was Turn 144 already tech leader
Random screenshot
Spoiler :

Due to the fact i was not very focussed i tended to build useless wonders and not grow as fast as possible (Notre-Dame...)

Around T170 i decided to add another city to get more internal traderoutes to Kyoto and Tokyo and T190 won the worlds fair which led to absurd amounts of Culture (were high even before due to the Fishing boat bonus and a lot of Cultural CS allies)

Spoiler :

Got Plastics T230 and just clicked Next turn mostly^^

Spoiler :

Got Dow'ed twice by Songhai, first time i only defended with gifted units from CS (got 3-4 Elephants) and 2nd time around T260 i had some gifted Infantry and Rocket Artis and just took his capital so he would shut it.

Otherwise very sloppy game, i missed 100 Turns WLTKD because Salt got Embargo'ed and all my cities wanted Salt and i did not pay attention to reverse the Embargo. I build numerous useless wonders (Notre Dame, Eiffel Tower, Broadway) and did some weird tech choices but all in all a very peaceful and easy game.

Domination would have been a LOT faster but takes too much effort and DV was not possible because Attila killed 3 CS and Venice got another 2.
CV would be an viable fast option but i am too lazy to get all the theme bonuses :D

Well i just played this not very focused and eating / chatting meanwhile so im not very fond of the finishing time but i didnt want to stress something.

Finished Turn 308 with Science

Spoiler :

To the game itself

Spoiler :
Its the usual snaky shuffle map with quite a big landmass for shuffle maps and very low water, so there is not so much jungle and forest (had shuffle maps with nearly 80% jungle :D

I did go tradition and was building 2 settlers when my cap had 4 pop and forward settled Songhai in his face. He stayed on one city for ages..

I met everyone Turn 52 so i could trade easily. The start of the game is a bit slow due to the lack of decent tiles to work. When getting up all the internal trade routes the growing gets a bit better but still far too much water for my taste...

Hit Education around t110 which is quite late but understandable due to the massive water and was Turn 144 already tech leader
Random screenshot
Spoiler :

Due to the fact i was not very focussed i tended to build useless wonders and not grow as fast as possible (Notre-Dame...)

Around T170 i decided to add another city to get more internal traderoutes to Kyoto and Tokyo and T190 won the worlds fair which led to absurd amounts of Culture (were high even before due to the Fishing boat bonus and a lot of Cultural CS allies)

Spoiler :

Got Plastics T230 and just clicked Next turn mostly^^

Spoiler :

Got Dow'ed twice by Songhai, first time i only defended with gifted units from CS (got 3-4 Elephants) and 2nd time around T260 i had some gifted Infantry and Rocket Artis and just took his capital so he would shut it.

Otherwise very sloppy game, i missed 100 Turns WLTKD because Salt got Embargo'ed and all my cities wanted Salt and i did not pay attention to reverse the Embargo. I build numerous useless wonders (Notre Dame, Eiffel Tower, Broadway) and did some weird tech choices but all in all a very peaceful and easy game.

Domination would have been a LOT faster but takes too much effort and DV was not possible because Attila killed 3 CS and Venice got another 2.
CV would be an viable fast option but i am too lazy to get all the theme bonuses :D

Good game and congratulations for being the first ever Immortal Challenge Lineup winner! :goodjob:

Nice to see another series of games starting up. I have been playing diety games this past month and have been wanting to go back to see how much an improvement since the leap. I was just about to go back to try the 1st challenge in the to other one but I will do this one instead.

:lol: deceptive map... would've killed Askia but suddenly the whole world showed up with their scouts... dangit.

Spoiler :

but my strat worked... now that I took a city in a peace deal I'll DoW again and this time I can plant GGs from Tomoboucto... I also go a range+logistics CB in the process too... and then I'll expand to my starting location and I'll have quite a nice 3-city empire.

Top Bottom