The Immortal Challenge Lineup - Game #11 - Germany

How did all of you deal with *****?
Spoiler :
POLAND - If you read my entry from Dec 13, some of what I did is explained. I got Teotihuacan in a peace deal, which was highly defensible - so an OK forward base of operations. I also got some CS Allies nearby to take some heat. The key was to hit him hard before he got WHussars. I think I burned 3 Citadels just to get close to Warsaw, and I was super lucky that he expo'd 6 tiles W of Warsaw just before (ZOC helped vs the GW, and as a base for Citadels). Also, at first I kept most of my units behind the W river for a couple turns, so his overwhelming foot-soldiers and Knights couldn't get my more vulnerable range units. Also, later I knew I would never offer peace, as 1-2 WHussars are fine/turn, but I knew he'd come back with 8+!

it seems I just let him live too long then. I figured I could take him later, but he became the runaway.
Spoiler :
I took Aztec cap first. Left him with his one expo. Then took Busan and Seoul. Then Salzburg and Vienna (happiness was becoming an issue now, last to ideology hurt). Went Autocracy and got Prora...Took Siamese cap and Si Satchanlai because it was a good staging point to attack Poland, but had to give it up to Denmark to avoid losing Seoul from revolution....it had a ton of wonders and I am ashamed to admit, I reloaded to avoid that....at this point, I knew I had blown it. I am definitely not quite Immortal level yet, as this round proved. Will go back and try it again after some more experience at Emperor. I must say, I have learned a lot from reading these,so thank you.

Spoiler :

I went three cities and killed Monty who was without an expo, so the genocide made everyone hate me. The growth has all kinds of crap but picking up finally, I planted 2 more cities, one up north and one south of Monty and citadel bombed the FoY for the lulz.

Economy is in great shape, I have so far bought 4 city states and will work on adding more before I start teching and get Panzers :)

I have been invaded by Poland twice, Siam twice, and Korea and Austria once each. I could have stomped them all perhaps but I really want to get Panzers out and crush and kill everything.

Full Liberty and now dipping into Commerce. I'd like to get some of Honor but probably won't have the time for it. The UA means you can field a pretty good army and not get bankrupt. Speaking of which, I'm trying to make the most out of UBs, the production bonuses stacked with Workshops are quite nice, I can get a Crossbow in 3 turns already :)

But let's wait until Panzers, hopefully the deserts (missed Petra by a lot though, wanted to GE it) have lots of oil buried under :)

Turn 206 resign:

Forget it, constant war ain't my thing, the game would take literally forever

It sucks some of the fun out of the game for me when diplomacy gets too limited, such as when I start off and stay a pariah due to an early war. It's not like they were live blogging in 200 BC!

Pretty much. There was absolutely no diplomacy throughout the game, everyone was like "you're a warmonger because you fought so many wars" and I was like, I wouldn't fight so many wars if I didn't get attacked by everyone at the same time.

One guy, friendly, no grudges stuff, and I'm like alright, it's been forgotten, next turn covet my lands, menace, denounce.

Geez... I guess it's Tradition turtle power to Panzers and then off you all go

Spoiler :

A Tradition game is unsurprisingly much smoother. My HG+Petra capital has quite the potential to sky rocket. I got some Commerce as well and I wonder if I'd lose out on technology much by skipping Rationalism entirely or just having to pick at least Secularism to stay competitive.

The biggest difference though is that diplomacy is now very much a thing, I actually have a DoF with Austria, Monty is out fighting with Ramkhamtrollface and I'm not sure what the Koreans are up to, let's see if they can be involved in a war of their own. Nobody hates me and once I deal with more immediate issues, I'll start spamming Knights and Pikes. BTW did you know Barb Axe upgrades to Knight for 135 gold :)

I went with 3 cities, forward settling Aztecs and Korea a bit, tee hee. The internal caravans are doing their thing, the rest will be used to power the Hanses

Turn 254 Selfie :)

Spoiler :

That was really vicious genocide :lol:

Observations for people who haven't played as Germany. They are absolutely ridiculous! Definitely upper tier

Phase 1 is rounding up the barbs for defense and growing your tall cities as usual. Three good ones is enough. make sure there's plenty of rivers to farm.

Phase 2 is buying all city states using Hanse gold. Also use the Hanse ability to get the production to ludicrous levels. It doesn't matter how you distribute the trade routes, as long as X of them go to city states, ALL cities that have a Hanse will get a X times 5% bonus. Make sure to grab Mercantilism, Big Ben, Porcelain Tower and have a couple Engis ready.

Phase 3 is bulbing your scientists, using Engis on Brandenburg Gate and saving Oxford for Combined Arms. If you have another Engi ready, make Pentagon. Make sure to get Combustion first and start cranking Landships rather than upgrading Cavalry, which is also not bad but not terribly efficient.

Phase 4 is finishing Commerce and getting Blitzkrieg. When I started, my happiness was around 80, which was enough of a cushion to never stop. By the time I got to the negative, a city went out of rebellion so I instabought every happiness building and Autocracy has a lot of them.

All being said, Alhambra, all three promotion buildings and Brandenburg Gate meant Panzers start with an extra attack. Since Blitzkrieg allows them to move freely, pillaging is super easy and they will never run out of health, you just pillage heal them back. So much unfair

Attachments

• germanys.jpg
    germanys.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 145
Tried to use Germany's CS benefits to plough the Diplo furrow. Worked fairly well, but I messed up with the voting pattern which added 10 unrequited turns to the game. The Hanse is a very strong UB and I built up a solid land army with the UA. I played peacefully so did not require the UU. I used full Tradition and Patronage, the latter being very strong for this game. Freedom again for Ideology.
Spoiler :

Top Bottom