The Immortal Challenge Lineup - Game #2 - Poland

Gustavus Rex

Prince
The Immortal Challenge Lineup - Game #2

Welcome to the Immortal difficulty version of the biweekly The Deity Challenge Lineup-event.

ICL Game #2
You - Poland
Total Civilizations - 8
Total City States -16
Map – Continents
Settings – Quick quick combat(turn it back on if you would like). Raging barbarians is turned ON. Everything else is set to default.
Game Version -
Downloadable Content – G&K, BNW, Conquest of the New World Deluxe, Genghis Khan's Mongolia, Harold Bluetooth's Denmark, Isabella’s Sapin and Pachacuti's Incan Empire, Kamehameha's Polynesian Empire, Nebruchadnezzar's Babylon, Sejong The Great's Korea, Wonders of the Ancient World. The map pack are intentionally excluded.

This is your beautiful starting location:

Schedule:

Game #1 - July 23th as Japan
Game #2 - August 6th as Poland
Game #3 - August 20th
Game #4 -

Information & rules cut, pasted and slightly changed from The Deity Challenge Lineup:

Spoiler :
All games in this series will be set to IMMORTAL difficulty. User civilizations, maps, and opponents will change each game, but the pace will always be set at standard and the starting era will always be ancient. We will try for a variety of starts, and not just having a crazy warmonger as your next door neighbor (although there will be that too). This isn't a competition so there will be no predefined victory conditions. New challenges in the series will be posted every other Wednesday.

Who can play?
Anybody can play. The more the merrier. Even if you normally don't play immortal games you are still welcome to try. The games can become great learning resources for the player trying to improve. Even if you don't finish the game, we are still interested to hear about your experience.

Do's and Don'ts
We are going to be using the honor system. Feel free to restart, reload, play the same game multiple times, but don't use the science overflow exploit. Also please don't edit the game in IGE. If you do chose to cheat, please don't share your results in the comments. Also, please use the spoiler tag if you post a picture, comment about neighboring civs, close by wonders, or locations of ancient ruins.

Also, please tell us about your Build Order, Social Policies, Tech Order, and what type of wonders you went after. I know a lot of this stuff seems pretty mundane to the experienced player, but the details are incredibly useful to people trying to learn.

Future Games in the Series
I want users to submit saves from turn 0. Preferably the person submitting the game has played enough turns to know the map is either difficult, fun, or unique in some enjoyable way. Write a short description as to why it is special and email the save to immortalchallengelineup@gmail.com

Important
If you submit a game for the challenge, you must have the DLC map packs disabled. Not everybody has them and they are honestly kind of useless. Having them disabled will allow more participants.

Attachments

• ICL #2 Poland.Civ5Save
    647.5 KB · Views: 585
Not much of a challenge if you ask me; literally everything you can ask for on a start.

There must be a covetous warmonger next door.

On turn 132
Spoiler :
I have 8 world wonders and am number 1 in score. I got forward settled which provided a shield that the bad men could not penetrate.

no matter who's next door, unless there are Shacka and Alex from both sides, this doesn't scream challenge to me. And even then - the capitol is in very well defended position, you just have to move one tile to the southeast ...

no matter who's next door, unless there are Shacka and Alex from both sides, this doesn't scream challenge to me. And even then - the capitol is in very well defended position, you just have to move one tile to the southeast ...

Or do what I'm going to do and follow Bud's lead and just have fun :king:

Start scream tradition, hmmm...

But first time appearances could be deceiving.

Turn 1-82.
Spoiler :
After moving on desert hill next to mountain I settle there. Start exploring.
Got culture ruin early on but after counting food ties in capital decided to go liberty.

Seeing there a lot of space to explore build 3 scouts-granary-monument
After I meat Darius first and steal worker from him.. could have been a mistake as I meat shaka next. Decided to make peace with darius and contain shaka. Seeing how mach potential land around if I Contain neighbors and darius slightly delayed by first worker steal I decided to go my liberty-piety route. Idea of strategy is to Grow capital to size 6, build library there and then non stop settler spam ignoring happiness (the only criteria of stopping is running out of space or danger of getting below 10 happiness. I do not intend to got SS, on immortal it is too risky, no idea is to get happiness religion abilities and use that.

So, my next policy was honor opening (too many barbs around), then next 2 into liberty until 50% to settler and then 2 into piety.
When growing capital to size 6 I build 3 archers shrine monument and library and caravan. Now it is turn 82, shaka contained to one city ( he spamm like 6 settlers who Now working my land, It does feel that I have too many workers. I have 7 cities with 2 settlers running around, I think I stop at 10 cities. Do not have religion yet, but will soon.

Turn 82-118
Spoiler :

Basically building cities, all together finished with 9, may be I should have put more, there are space for 3-4 reasonable cities left.

Cities were building: Monument- shrine- temple- any happiness buildings available( Colosseum allays available).

Trun 108 is a good milestone because I got reformation and took Jesuit education.

In my experience for this strategy building sci buildings take too long and use up to mach production. It is biggest bottleneck.

Research went, (after finishing all workers tech and construction - philosophy- theology.

Grow is not bottleneck, 9 cities can consume any amount of available happiness in a few turn. Bottleneck is happiness and happiness come form having as mach faith as possible and staying in middle-eval age as long as possible.

Now start most dangerous time as everyone, even one city shaka is in medieval age.
trick is try not to get dowed and build some composites to hold if anyone one decided to dow.

Turn 118-168

Spoiler :

Just as I sad I better not to be dowed, in a few turns shaka some how build a few impies and try to go at me and Darius dow me.

Had to buy 3 composites to hold. Shaka impies soo powerful, half dead impi kills my fortified composite across river.. darn.

Decided that all 3 AI on my continent have to go, preferably before other continent find me. So, composite build program was instated + 2 swords and 2 horseman were build. I took Shaka with composites, research crossbow, upgraded my composites to crossbows and took out darius. Now my army moving in direction of rashid. I am still in med age and plan to stand that way as long as possible, even slow building units in my cities, because I still need a lot of cities to convert to my religion before entering next age. Currently on 13 cities, no one find me yet. My faith production hit 140 and rasing.
(even my own religion has only 1 faith building, darius and rashid found there own religion and spread it to me. Every one of this religion has 1 religious building. Some of my cities have 3 religion building now.

Turns 168-187
Spoiler :

Finished my continent. Unlucky me 2 civs found me 1 turn before, so I got some witnesses Of arab death. As you can see I produce 200 faith and about same reseach turn. So now it is just how to finish.

Spoiler :

187-240

Spoiler :

Basically grow, in industrial age, +40 happiness, 1000 research/turn.

I am thinking I just build ironclads, arty and cav and go kill .

But had to spend time to grow, as my army and production power were absolute and I was behind in tech, Now I am probably ahead, did not checked demographic.

I Just moved up to Immortal difficulty recently and of the 3 games I have played one was a Polish salt start next to shaka. This is like deja vu. :confused:

Challenge yourself for a fast finish then :p

You are maybe saying this tongue-in-cheek, but that's pretty much the mindset (IMHO) you should have going into some of these games. In the deity version of these challenges I plan to use each leader at least once. The issue with doing so means there will be games as Poland, Babylon, Maya, Shoshone etc etc. Playing as an elite civ won't really "challenge" the top tier players regardless of starting position or neighbors. Sometimes the challenge is just to make yourself better. If a certain game doesn't appeal to you, skip it, and wait til a more demanding one comes along. Not every game will appeal to everyone.

My hope is most of you will like to play this powerful civ on this beautiful map!

For the "challenge" part - why not try something diffrent if you are a top player? Skip tradition, liberty and rationalism? Maybe try to build all wonders?

Or better yet - send a good, truly challeging map of your own to immortalchallengelineup@gmail.com ;)

Looking forward to see your results!

I'm having a blast so far, even if all my Polish games end up the same: Trad>Pat>Military conquest.

This time I dropped the Honor tree (except for the 2 picks) in favor of Rationalism.

I waited at 2 cities until Shaka started the AI Great General Land Grab BS. I saw it coming and did a pre-emptive DoW. Then I just killed the city the had Cerro de Potosi and planted my own.

Shaka has killed Persia and is working on Arabia who has cultural aspirations. Therefore, Shaka's forces are split which is good because I have exactly 4 land units. I was gifted a Merchant of Venice and Tyre will soon be mine.

My goal for this game is to demand tribute from Shaka while my words are back by nuclear weapons. I will post a screen shot if I can do it.

Spoiler :
Wow, does Immortal seem easy after Deity - especially Immortal Shaka! Even though he had the biggest military, I took his cap on t95 without planning it. My "plan" was to build a strong defensive stance and go 4 city Tradition. Settled desert hill, then built Settler at pop 3 to nab Potosi. Settled the plains river NW of it - plan was to use the mtn and the 2 forested hills to stop Impis, and kill with range from behind. Was late to scout N of cap, and Gibraltar will be mine whenever - Mombasa won't expand to it. 3rd city went on hill near Florence to get 2 more faith Salt and 2 pastures (if I'd settled there 2nd I would have had 2 horsey tiles too).

BO - Scout, 1/2 worker (decided not to worker steal this game), shrine, finish worker, settler, granary, worker, 4 archer, bought worker. Ruins gave culture, Spear upg, camps. I considered stealing an unprotected Zulu setter early, but he had 3 melee nearby, and barbs were roaming hard E/SE of Potosi. So instead I tried to slow his progress. I finally got some archers to join the fun, and I attacked his settler/warrior. Just as I got the warrior dead he built Nomamba. So it took a lot of finesse to not lose any units as fresh ones and a GG made it to the front. Took it and had to change my policy choices to nab Oligarchy to help beat down his decent size counter-attack force. It is still puppeted and at size 6 has a whopping 2 production.

Decided that was so easy, maybe I should try to attack 22 defense Ulundi. Ended up with 4 CB and a Spear, late-comer CB, Spear, and Chariot. Lost my better-promoted Spear and green Spear would have died next turn had the last CB and Chariot not arrived the turn they did. Now have SOZ but really don't feel like going domination.

My policy plans have changed many times. Only my 2nd Poland game, and they just keep coming. Was going to do middle 3 Trad, then go to Consulates ASAP (considered left side of Honor). But my faith was so strong, finished Trad and went 2 deep into Piety, then took Patronage open. My happy is butt-hurt (have ToA, HG soon) so I will get Theocracy next (25% gold Temples) to combine with my 2 happy Temples follower. Was first to religion t72 - Mosques and Tithe, not sure of Enhancer belief - may try Reliquary (50 faith/GP expended) for funsies. I always like Itin Preachers...

Tech order has been sloppy as heck - prioritized finding iron and horse for settling (yet new cities have neither!), then went Philosophy for Classical when Construction would have helped so much earlier for CB. Still no NC, as I keep building wonders and the odd mil unit. Will do that next, I promise!

I have nearly 4 CS allies - the quests are so easy, lots of barb camps and barb workers released. Early trade routes quests too, and some of those beautiful cascading lux quests where A gets you B gets you C. I'm going to plant at least 3 more cities - so yet another Wide Tradition game for me, LOL.

Attachments

• 2014-08-06_00001.jpg
    2014-08-06_00001.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 3,282
Going to run this up tonight, is it really considered OCC if you don't have the box checked?

Top Bottom