The inherent problem with building times.

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by sucksforyou112, Jan 19, 2011.

1. sucksforyou112

sucksforyou112 Superman

Everybody knows the early game can- scratch that, IS- boring. There is nothing to do. If you have low building times, like in civ 4, then everything is built before you can research more stuff, so I will have every building, 5-6 units, and nothing to do or produce. If you have high building times, then it takes forever to make anything and as a result there is nothing to play with.

My solution: minigames.

I know this is can be a dreaded word, and many games have been considered worse because of their implementation. And I know most people would think it would be even worse in a strategy game.

But I do not suggest a minigame like the card game in Fall From Heaven II, or the numerous puzzles in games such as Spyro. I suggest games more along the line of...
    Quests.

I realize that "quest" sounds fantasy-ish, and fantasy does not belong in a civ game. Its not as if there are Unicorns! But no, thank God, I do not mean fantasy. I mean realistic activities leaders would have.

These quests would be things like:
    -"Our trappers have been disrupted by barbarians, and they request royal assistance from Your Magesty." You have to go kill 3 barbs in say 20 turns, and if you do this feat, the specific hunting camp that initiated the quest produces double its output for 10 turns. Ie 1 gold becomes 2 gold.

Some of them can be social policy-related, like:
    -"As a result of the social code people seem to be abiding by nowadays, the people wish to have a military to glorify. What is your wish?" You have to build an army of 5 units. So if you just unlocked the honor policy branch, then this quest may occur (maybe 1 in ten chance?) and you are given the quest. Completion would result in 5 extra happiness for 10 turns.

Or they can be related to recent events:
    -"The people applaud our great military victory. They wish to lend to the war effort, but do not know how to. Orders?" You have to build a barracks in the city that begins this, and if you do you gain the basic infantry unit of your era, with the morale promotion.

These quests would not be optional, but as they would only provide benefits (albeit small ones) there would be no point in chooseing not to do them even if there was the ability to do so.

What is your opinion on these ponderings? They came across me as I attempted to play a game of ciV and cIV at the same time. (IV seems less fun now that I have seen all the benefits of V's good improvements, and V is.. V. It is not all it can or should be IMHO right now).

2. ipris

ipris Warlord

I stopped reading right there.

3. sucksforyou112

sucksforyou112 Superman

^ man, that was my intro, it was bound to be a little over the top or with exaggeration.

4. cman2010

cman2010 King

not bad ideas the game needs alot more than this to make it better.

5. madtemplar0

madtemplar0 The Prosecutor

Hey everybody, I'm a long time lurker, and look here, first post! :goodjob:

Anyway, I think these ideas are good but like cman2010 said, they wont solve everything. I would rather other areas of the game be improved, such as AI.

6. Frozensky

Frozensky Chieftain

we have quests already, in the form of city states. it's poorly implemented and they all invariably dead-end with wanting to destroy each other.

can it be improved? absolutely. is it in as dire need of improvement as other aspects? no, so it'll probably be a part of an expansion pack.

7. Bibor

Bibor Doomsday Machine

There's plenty of stuff to do. There are at least 20 decisions every turn from turn 1 that you need to take. However, unlike CIV4 or most other games, you'll see the effects of those decision 5, 10, 15 turns later.

People addicted to online chat speed of getting information might have a problem with CIV5.

8. TPQ

TPQ Cogito Ergo Civ

Good ideas sucksforyou112. :goodjob:

9. sketch162000

sketch162000 Warlord

Really? I could swear that a lot of people were complaining that, outside of war, Civ V is mostly just a long series of clicking "Next Turn" over and over. That's what my experience has been, at least.

10. Polycrates

Polycrates Emperor

If you're bored in the early game, I would strongly recommend trying Raging Barbarians. I've always considered it a must, but in this iteration it's particularly good - and it can be genuinely difficult stomping down those barb camps at times.

11. lordsurya08

lordsurya08 class-A procrastinator

This sounds interesting. Shouldn't be hard to mod in, is it?

12. JohnnyW

JohnnyW Gave up on this game

This is clearly an exaggeration.

1) where to move warrior
    2) which tech to research
    3) which hex to work with your 1 pop
    4) what to build

That's four, not twenty, choices. If you said turn 0 you would have one more choice of where to put your settler.

I can't imagine you need to make twenty choices a turn until you have at least two cities. Probably beyond that (don't feel like thinking it all the way through).

13. War_Pig

War_Pig Warlord

Cheers my good man.

14. Methos

Methos HoF Quattromaster Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Moderator Action: Moved to Ideas & Suggestions forum.

15. jtb1127

jtb1127 Deity

The sound of the word mini-game makes me cringe

16. Truthy

Truthy Chatbot

17. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Something like BtS Random Events would probably be quite good, but I wouldn't want them to have too large an impact on the game. Some of the time you'd draw a short straw. Anything based too heavily on random chance isn't as good as a feature based on strategic skill. This would be too heavily the former, and only the latter as a consequence of the luck of the draw. Assuming, of course, that these quests actually were really important. If they weren't given all that much importance, and were just to add a little flavour, then sure! Could be fun.

18. SpearMan153

SpearMan153 Prince

never been bored in any civ version in the early game - that's the best bit - it's late game that civ has always tended toward the boring (imo).

I guess if you loose your warrior early and can't explore anymore...

I think a pool of semi random, semi scripted world events could be used to spice the game up nicely.

Like:
    Massive barbarian hoard appears on your continent and starts attacking everyone, you and rival civs must team up to defeat them or die. Fame and fortune to be won for victory, death in defeat.

Some real life and death challenge stuff

19. Namaspamus

Namaspamus Warlord

I would welcome more quests or BtS-like random events, and the OP suggestions are good. These things add a lot of immersion.

If building times are so long, it's also because they removed health and religion, and their buildings. If these two features were brought back the hammer cost of other buildings would have to be reduced so we can develop our cities with everything they need, and we would be asked more often what we want to build next.

20. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

For me, this is an example of a very bad random event that should never be included in the game. It is way too unbalancing and unfair. Your survival would be based on luck, and you'd have to rely on the AI, which is never a good thing.