1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The inhumane conditions of Bradley Manning's detention

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nikosison, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

Some more details about what actually occurred, and why those decisions were likely made:

WikiLeaks suspect Bradley Manning moved from maximum to medium security

LA Times: Soldier's inhumane imprisonment

2. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

Both of those are opinion pieces.

3. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Oh man with straining like that you'll give yourself a hernia :goodjob:

4. MeteorPunch

MeteorPunch #WINNING

I saw on MSNBC this morning that Representative Dennis Kucinich has been trying for months to get a face to face meeting with Manning, and the military keeps giving him the run-around, delaying his visit and telling him to report to different branches, basically just keeping him out. This guy is a Representative in Congress, he should definitely have access if Manning's people okay it. Manning is at the moment, completely innocent of any wrongdoing.

Also a UN delegate wanted to investigate for accusations of torture and was denied. Someone who is right has nothing to hide, and I'm sure they haven't plenty to hide about the way he's been treated.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20039445-503544.html
    http://www.bradleymanning.org/news/...inich-renews-demand-to-visit-with-pfc-manning

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/wor...r-denied-access-to-bradley-manning-54547.html

5. MobBoss

Has Mannings people okay'd it? Not sure if there is any evidence of that. In fact, its Mannings legal team that keeps asking for the delays of the hearings, which is part of the reason its taking so long.

And the UN has no business in this issue. At all.

6. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

@MeteorPunch- Assuming that is true, I can't disagree. That said, MSNBC is a dubious source.

7. Patroklos

Patroklos Deity

I repeat my earlier postion, so far every accusation of wrongdoing against this guy has fallen flat on his face. Now we find that the instant a shiny new up to date prison opens he is one of the first to go. Obviously this is a form of torture.

Please, bring on the next wave of manufactured angst.

8. Holycannoli

Holycannoli Deity

People still care about this? I'm happy they're giving him better conditions, but I didn't care that he had worse ones.

9. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

I would advise staying away from that kind of logic as that is the exact same type as McCarthy used to blacklist people.

10. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

We should put CCTVs in everyone's houses because the innocent have nothing to hide only the guilty will object :rolleyes:

11. MeteorPunch

MeteorPunch #WINNING

I agree that when used as a broad statement, it can be a wrong statement, but it's fine within the context of this story - the government doesn't have the right to spy on us for no reason, but the people should know what the government is doing, especially when they refuse a representative.

I never insinuated actions here, but I stand by it as a broad general truth.

12. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Good to see the cut and run from the original detention scheme.

13. MobBoss

Yeah, now if we could only get his defense team to stop cutting and running from a hearing we might get somewhere...

14. JollyRoger

Looks like things have already improved for Manning without a hearing, so we are getting somewhere.

15. MobBoss

Ah, thats more likely due to him keeping his mouth shut about killing himself than anything else you may attribute it to.

16. JollyRoger

Proof please.

17. bathsheba666

bathsheba666 Fast 'n Bulbous

It's good to see the UN trying to keep tinpot regimes to a reasonable standard of behavior, wherever those tinpots arise.

18. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

I really don't see how they denied this completely natural and quite obvious request for confidentiality, which is supposed to protect the possible victim from the alleged perpetrators of these sorts of heinous crimes.

19. bhsup

bhsup Deity

For the first part, about the UN...stuff the UN. They have no business nor right to investigate crap in the USA and if they don't like that, they can pound sand and gtfo out NY.

For the second, that's a very dangerous ideology. You are, with that attitude, advocating the nullification of the 5th amendment.

20. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Why should they not have the ability to investigate possible human rights abuses? Or are you saying human rights abuses should go uninvestigated?

Last I checked the 5th ammendment doesn't apply to the government as a sovereign entity.