The Innocent Excitable PBEM: Get Set 2 Months Ahead!

how long is the turn timer on pitboss?

Edit: Oh and btw sign me up:

Rule Britannia: England

how long is the turn timer on pitboss?

Edit: Oh and btw sign me up:

Rule Britannia: England

The civ4 version lets you set it as low as 1 hour and as high as 999 I beleive, between 10 and 24 hours and pretty standard though.

CS

Yeah, and if I were to be in a longterm Pitboss (akin to a PBEM), anything less than a day for the turn timer and it would be far too demanding. I think it's a really cool way to play (when I first heard about Pitboss I wass overly excited about the concept), but does not necessarily replace PBEM, in my opinion. I could see myself playing both types simultaneously, given a more laid back turn timer.

Simultaneous turns is completely against what CIV is all about..

Well we will have to agree to disagree on that statement. Civ is about what ever each individual player wants it to be about within the programmed game mechanics.

That's what makes Civ so much replay value.

CS

I agree, although I'm not sure if it's the way pitboss works, can anyone confirm?

Pitboss in Civ4 was just an extension of normal MP, and therefore had both turn based mode and simu turns. Though I have never seen turn based mode used in pitboss that would take a week for every player to take a turn if the turn timer was set to 24hours for instance.

CS

So, if I understand the above post correctly, there is an option in pitboss to use sequential turns instead of simultaneous (of course I mean Civ4, we don't know what it will look like in Civ5). If so (and if it's available in Civ5 too), I think we can use it instead of pbem, if someone is willing to maintain a server (me not).

I don'y mind waht we use, email's fine, just as long as we don't have simultaneous turns.

Simultaneous turns are the big draw of Pitboss, so since we're not going for that, email fits our bill just right ;)

By the very design of PBEM you can't have simu turns it has to be turn based, though the big problem with PBEM is reload cheating to get the combat outcome you want.

CS

So Civ4 (and probably 5) doesn't have any countermeasures against reloading? (The AoW series has them.) I hope combat in Civ5 will be less random than in 1-4.

So Civ4 (and probably 5) doesn't have any countermeasures against reloading? (The AoW series has them.) I hope combat in Civ5 will be less random than in 1-4.

Well Civ5 PBEM hasn't even been designed yet so who knows maybe they will build something in. But Civ3 and Civ4 PBEM did not and it was a large issue especially in some Intersite Democracy Games.

I"m not sure how you can make combat less random, at some point after all the mechanics and modifiers are calulated their is still a dice roll required.

CS

I would also like to join in this game. My time zone is GMT -9. If you guys would like, I could host a Pitboss server for this game. I would like to play as France as I am intrested in taking as much advantage of the new social policy system as possible.

Edit: 1000th post !!:)

I"m not sure how you can make combat less random, at some point after all the mechanics and modifiers are calulated their is still a dice roll required.

CS

Well, I heard that it's possible that both units will survive the battle, only being damaged. This sounds less random than having one unit always eliminate the other. Maybe it's like Fantasy Wars/Elven Legacy, where the actual results can be only a bit different than the predicted ones.

well civ 4 had that checkbox for keeping the randomly generated stuff the same on a reload, i'm sure civ 5 will have it to.

Well, I heard that it's possible that both units will survive the battle, only being damaged. This sounds less random than having one unit always eliminate the other. Maybe it's like Fantasy Wars/Elven Legacy, where the actual results can be only a bit different than the predicted ones.

Yes from the articles I have read, units are more expensive in Civ5 and will withdraw rather than die if they can. But that is just a mechanic, who wins or loses a battle is still going to have a element of randomess.

CS

well civ 4 had that checkbox for keeping the randomly generated stuff the same on a reload, i'm sure civ 5 will have it to.

Yes that came out in a later patch, hopefully Civ5 will have a similar option when they code PBEM.

CS

Even with it it's still possible to manipulate the combat results by changing the sequence of battles (which units attack first).

Congrats on the 1000th matthewv!
So having the possibility for pitboss, we should go with what the majority is most comfortable with (I'm fond of PBEM, for one :D). So it should be a while till we come to a decision.

Also be sure to suggest how many AIs we're to have, as well as any other of the settings (as put in the first post). And for those who haven't please post your timezone (relative to GMT) and PM me your email address.

Top Bottom