The Innovian Atlas

Veera Anlai

Southern Belle
I think it's about time we get some of the major landmarks of our homeland named. I just don't like saying "We should build this city next to that big water thing, near that tall mountain on that long river." Let's have some pride in our nation! Let's name our territories before other nations name them for us!

Some places that need to be given names:
The Western Ocean (Hot Pink)
The Eastern Bay (Yellow)
The Big Lake (Red)
The Jungle (Green)
The Desert (Purple)
The River (Red Line)
The Mountain (Green X)

Obviously there are more landmarks, but I'm thinking these are the most important right now. Let's just discuss for a while, toss out a few ideas, and once there are some suggestions or consensus, we'll run a poll. Afterwards, I'll put out a decent map so our citizens can keep their geography straight!

The Western Ocean: The Big Waves
The Eastern Bay: Mare Nostrum
The Big Lake: Loch Wheel
The Jungle: Valley Green
The Desert: The Zenplains
The River: Zen
The Mountain: Mt. Capitol

The Western Ocean: Sea of Dreams
The Eastern Bay: Canasim Bay
The Big Lake: Hastew Lake
The Jungle: Hiirstang Jungle
The Desert: Plains of Anguish
The River: The Endless Stream
The Mountain: Zarod el Marh

I'm game for any of them. Doesn't really matter what we name them to me. As long as it makes the discussion (where's it been) easier. BTW, that () is at me too :(

The River: Silf the Lifegiver

One really cool thing about Civ4 is that we can plant an actual signpost with our chosen name for a feature. It works best with short names, so if we choose anything long, have an abbreviation or nickname.

As for actual names, I'm partial to names with roots in great discoveries and inventions. No immediate ideas available, I'll have to consider the possibilities.

Well, I lean towards naming places after important people, places, and events. Also, having it easy to remember is a plus. So here are my suggestions...

Theoden: I don't understand what a lot of the names you suggested mean. Or what language they're in. Some of them sound good, but are they Arabic?
Dutchfire: Are you sure we should call it the Zen River and Zenplains? Innovia doesn't practice Buddhism, which is the religion where Zen comes from. We're Hindi. And if you want to call it the Green Jungle, we can call it the Akdar Jungle. Akdar is Arabic for Green.

Innovia Bay - Simple, accurate, easy to remember, and makes a big statement to our opponents. This is *our* bay, stay out!
Lake Wheelville - I like Dutchfire's name, but I think we should use Lake, not Loch, since we're not playing as the Celts.
Mount Saggioun - Named for our Wise Leader, of course.
Westerly Ocean - Once again, simple name, but not too bland, and easy to remember.

Didja know that Gobi, as in the Gobi Desert, means 'Big and Dry' in Mongolian? And that Sahara means 'Desert' in Arabic? And the Outback in Australia is named just because the desert is 'out back' from the cities. The human race doesn't seem to be terribly original when naming deserts.

Veera Anlai said:
Theoden: I don't understand what a lot of the names you suggested mean. Or what language they're in. Some of them sound good, but are they Arabic?
Half of them are English. The rest aren't in any particular language, as I thought it would be cool if we gave our nation a unique flavour by coming up with names no one has seen yet. Afterall we represent innovation. The general inspiration for the names is from latin and elvish, though.

btw, how do you add a signpost to the map?

Theoden said:
btw, how do you add a signpost to the map?

Zoom out and some buttons replace the scoreboard and i guess it was the most left one that displayed the menu to draw on the map and create signs. Just zoom out and you'll figure it out.

Alright. By cartographer fiat, I've come up with names for the local landmarks. If we don't like 'em, we can change 'em later! I just think we need to get these important ones out of the way. My criteria for these was pretty simple: if it's easy to remember, I picked it.

Mount Zarod
Wheel Lake
Westerly Ocean
Innovia Bay
Hiirstang Jungle
Silf River (Silt? Silf? Makes sense to me)
Saggioun Desert

I'll put up a map later, if we can agree on these names.
As for future names, for small landmarks, like individual hills, small hill ranges, peninsulas, and the like, I'll go first come first serve. For big landmarks, we'll have a waiting list. First person on the waiting list will name one landmark, the next person will name the next, and so on. Sound good?

Top Bottom