The Invisible Infantry!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Pouakai, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

I was playing as Babylon on Archaepalago, and had captured the three cities on the bottom of Mongolia's subcontinent, among which the capital. Somehow, an infantry unit appeared on one of the tiles in the middle, killed one of my artillery while only taking two damage, then dissapeared. Any ideas what happened?

2. Shurdus

Shurdus Am I Napoleon?

Screenshots?

Ideas: it was a garrison popping out of a city? You did not pay attention? It was rush-bought and used?

Dunno, but the description is so vague that it could be anything.

3. esemjay

esemjay Prince

Ninja's happened.

4. Callonia

Callonia Deity

Display glitch, try filling that area with units so that invisible infantry will be nailed and killed.

Or have ur artillery mouse over hexes til it shows u the combat resoultion over a hex with noone on it.

5. Pouakai

Wasn't a garrison, I had all the cities nearby and had more than two tiles between the border and my artillery.

Couldn't get screenshots, I was too busy being confused. Couldn't have been rush-bought, as I said, no cities. THere were about 5 turns between capturing the cities and killing all the units, and when this happened.

I moused over each hex in the area, no red attack circle. Next turn I moved a worker to where the artillery was and the infantry should have been, and nothing unusual happened.

6. Callonia

Callonia Deity

Well yeah. It moved :p move there during the turn where ur artillery died. not one turn later when it has an opportunity to move again.

If u can't find it again u'll have to wait patiently til it pops out again to attack other unit of yours and squish it, failing that. Wipe out the offending civ for sicing Rambos on you.

7. Pouakai

No, by next turn I mean

Fine_During AI turns Artillery dies _ Move worker

8. basta

basta Prince

Sounds like you'd revealed the map by teching satellites but hadn't yet actually sent a unit to explore those tiles. This is an annoying late-game feature--you can see the target city but can't bombard it, for example--and a good reason to bring some expendable workers to use as sacrificial scouts when you advance on enemy cities.

9. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

Sounds like a display glitch which has been there since release, or at least one of the earlier patches. Try selecting one of your units that could attack it, and then right-click hovering over empty tiles and you will find one of the supposedly empty tiles can be attacked. From what I remember of it, usually the infantry will be showing as being on a nearby tile, possibly even over the top of another unit.

Switching to strategic view might help to spot it too.

10. JoeBas

JoeBas Warlord

I've had this happen twice in 270+ hours myself... toggle in/out of strat view cleared it for me.