The Isle of Man is still at war with Germany...

diablodelmar said:
It also does have the longest existing parliament (called Tynwald) but how on earth did you know that Plotinus?

Well, it's a well-known fact, I'd have thought. Of course, like most people I think that anyone who doesn't know stuff that I know is very stupid, while anyone who knows stuff I don't know is a genius, so perhaps I'm wrong.

As for the cats - I've been wondering recently about Malaysian cats, which all have short tails with a kink in them. I assumed that these are natural, and Malaysian cats are sort of half-like Manx cats, but then I had an argument with someone who said that they're normal cats that get their tails docked. I wonder if anyone here knows the answer? Could there be mysterious historical links between Man and Malaysia? Even the first two letters in their names are the same! Probably something to do with Atlantis. I bet they had weird cats too.

It is really surprisingly: We started about if Germany is still at war with the isle of Man and now we are soon discussing Atlantis and if the cats there were unique! Did Platon mentioned them?

Adler

Plotinus said:
As for the cats - I've been wondering recently about Malaysian cats, which all have short tails with a kink in them. I assumed that these are natural, and Malaysian cats are sort of half-like Manx cats, but then I had an argument with someone who said that they're normal cats that get their tails docked. I wonder if anyone here knows the answer? Could there be mysterious historical links between Man and Malaysia? Even the first two letters in their names are the same! Probably something to do with Atlantis. I bet they had weird cats too.

But wait! There's something else that begin with Ma - Mary-Magdalen! (and BOTH names begin with MA, too!).

Therefore we can conclude that, whatever the link between Man and Malaysia cats, the Catholic Church is involved in the cover-up.

Oda Nobunaga said:
But wait! There's something else that begin with Ma - Mary-Magdalen! (and BOTH names begin with MA, too!).

Therefore we can conclude that, whatever the link between Man and Malaysia cats, the Catholic Church is involved in the cover-up.

Curses! You have guessed the subject of my next great opus, with which I plan to make a bucket of cash and retire early:

The Cat Code - exposing the greatest cover-up in history: Jesus failed to follow RSPCA advice about neutering household pets, and as a result the bloodline of the Messianic Cat still exists to this very day...

Plotinus

From Cat World by Desmond Morris:

"Victorian Zoologist St. George Mivert, discussing the various breeds of domestic cats known to him in 1881, comments, 'In Pegu, Siam and Burmah, there is a race of cats-the Malay Cat--with tails only half the ordinary length, and often contorted in a sort of knot, so that it cannot be straightened...Its contortion is due to a deformity of the bones of a tail...'

"Judging by the description of the tail, it seems likely that the Malay Cat was related to, or identical with the Japanese Bobtail Cat. It is thought that the Bobtail originally arrived in Japan from China about a thousand years ago. Burma borders Western China and it seems likely the stump-tailed breed was originally found right across the region."

I'm surprised he doesn't consider the possibility that Chinese traders might have taken the cats with them. The Japanese Bobtail is naturally bobtailed and is featured in Japanese art and is a popular breed in Japan. They don't seem to be closely related to Manx.

Plotinus said:
Curses! You have guessed the subject of my next great opus, with which I plan to make a bucket of cash and retire early: The Cat Code ...

You mean you aren't retired yet? I thought my twenty bucks might have put you over the top.

And as for the cat code, I wonder if there are any cats in a movie whose name I won't mention and don't plan to see. :mischief:

Plotinus said:
All right, no doubt this is OT, but how can this possibly be true? What of Iraq?

It's true. The last time the U.S. formally declared war was during WW2. There hasn't been a formal declaration of war anytime after that.

Make of that what you will - but it's true!

On the Tynwald: Actually, the Løgting of the Faroes is generally accepted as the oldest of the three Viking parliaments of Man, the Faroes, and Iceland. The Icelandic Althing is also fourty-nine years older than the Tynwald. Admittadly, the Tynwald can be concidered the oldest continually existing representative body of the three. However, the San Marinese republic was founded in 301 CE and its representative government has never been interrupted in its one thousand, seven hundred, and five year history. This makes it the world's oldest, and longest continuous, representative body, beeting the Tynwald by several centuries.

Aern't Russia and Japan still technically at war? Also in theory couldn't Germany have got supplies form America but.....

1. They had no overseas bases to lease to the USA to pay for stuff.
2. They had no merchant navy worth mentioning to pick equipment up.
3. The Royal navy.

The downside of preparing for a short continental war and ending up in a world war.

Yes, both nations are still at war, there is only a cease fire! Juristically seen. There are nevertheless negotiations but since the Japanese demanding back the three islands of the Kurilen, which belonged to them, still no treaty made. And with an eye on East Prussia I can understand the Japanese...

Adler

Germany wants East Prussia back? Or the remnant sandwhiched between Polad and Lithuania?

Well, officially Germany doesn´t demand it back from Russia. That was only my personal opinion. However: What for use do the Russians have from? It is an enclave between Nato and EU states. It is worthless in times of war. And historical claims does not exist. So why don´t they "sell" it to us?
But that is only my opinion.

Adler

Maybe the people who live there want to stay Russian. Gibraltar isn't much use to Britain, but most Gibraltans would rather have their fingernails pulled out than become Spanish. They're more British than the British!

The Third Punic War between Carthage and Rome started in 149 BC. It theoretically ended when Rome burned the city of Carthage to the ground, destroyed it's walls and harbor, supposedly spread salt over the area so nothing would grow, and put up a sign up saying it was a capitol punishment to spend the night at the site in 146 BC. However, in 1985 AD the mayors of Rome and Tunis signed a symbolic peace treaty, ending the war 2133 years after it started.

I went to Carthage College and remember hearing about this on the History Channel as the longest war ever. (on a technicallity)

Adler17 said:
Well, officially Germany doesn´t demand it back from Russia. That was only my personal opinion. However: What for use do the Russians have from? It is an enclave between Nato and EU states. It is worthless in times of war. And historical claims does not exist. So why don´t they "sell" it to us?
But that is only my opinion.

Adler

Several problems with that theory. The people are no longer German and assuming the Russians did want to sell it Poland at the least would object. Having a country split in 2 is never a good idea. The territory should really go to the Poles or Lithuanians assuming Russia wanted to get rid of it.

Well I have to disagree, as these states do not have any claims. However I am biased. Also I just saw a documentation in the TV about North East Prussia. Many Russians also living there would rather live in a German East Prussia instead in a Russian. However I admit I do not know the percentage of population. Concerning the population living there it would be a problem indeed if the Russians wanted to sell it. However that problem is not acute as well as the Russians still do not want to sell it. But since it was a crime against humanity to displace the Germans living there and that annexions are against international law, this also has to be considered.
But that would be thread jacking here, if we continue.
So back to topic. When is a war ended: After the peace treaty was made, sure. But also when the other state was totally destroyed. That happened with Carthago. So no, since 146 BC the war was over.
OTOH Berwick upon Tweed is still at war with Russia although the mayor made peace with them. But he did not have the authority to act so. Only the Queen or the PM could do so. So IMO this is a good candidate for the longest war.

Adler

Top Bottom