[RD] The Israel/Palestine Quarantine Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Arakhor, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Absolution

Absolution King

It's actually not such a radical move by Ben & Jerry's - in fact many businesses operate only in legal Israel and exclude the disputed territories.
    Even several international agreements that Israel is signed on, in the fields of sciene and trade - exclude those territories.

Maybe it's the so obvious fact that these two guys are Jewish that caused such a dramatic coverage of it this time in Israel. And yes, it was well covered.

This and maybe also the mere issue that it is a "happy" product, who'se absence can be physically felt in the lives of many families.
    It is also very common among IDF soldiers, fyi...

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    mitsho and Samson like this.
  2. Azem.Ocram

Azem.Ocram King

I love how Republicans are throwing a BF against Ben and Jerry’s, showing once again how racist they are. Anti-BDS laws are unconstitutional.

3. Samson

Samson Deity

Airstrikes in response to protests?

In May, Israel used airstrikes to respond to rocket attacks. Today it seems like they are using them to respond to protests at the border wall, apparently an "undercover sniper" was shot, whatever that involves:

Prime Minister Naftali Bennett said Sunday that Israel would retaliate against anyone who attacks Israelis, a day after a Border Police officer was shot and critically wounded during a riot on the Gaza Strip border.

The Israel border police said a 21-year-old sniper in its undercover unit was critically wounded when he was shot by a Palestinian protester. “His condition is critical and there is a risk to his life,” it said.

“We will settle the score with anyone who harms our fighters and civilians,” Bennett said at the start of the weekly cabinet meeting.
    “During the night, the IDF responded with a broad attack in the Gaza Strip. Last week, I conducted a situation assessment in the Gaza Division with Defense Minister Benny Gantz and [IDF] Chief of Staff Aviv Kohavi, and I can tell you that the IDF, the Southern Command and the Gaza Division are prepared and ready for any scenario,” the premier said.
    Regarding the protests, the TV is saying that they are live firing at people climbing the border wall, including a 13-year-old child who was shot in the head.

Israeli gunfire wounded 41 Palestinians, including a 13-year-old boy who was shot in the head.

The violence erupted after hundreds of Palestinians took part in a demonstration on Saturday organised to draw attention to a stifling Israeli blockade of the territory. The protest grew violent after dozens of people approached the fortified fence and threw rocks and explosives towards Israeli soldiers from behind a black smoke screen spewing from burning tyres.

The Israeli military said hundreds of demonstrators approached one area of the fence in northern Gaza and attempted to climb over. It said troops fired tear gas and live rounds at the protesters.

4. Azem.Ocram

Azem.Ocram King

At this point, I think the US should abandon the whole region and let the Israelis, Arabs, Egyptians, Persians, Kurds, etc figure things out without our interference.

haroon and Birdjaguar like this.
  5. Samson

Samson Deity

Latest devious weapon that Israel is blocking from the Gaza Strip? Chocolate

Israeli Defense Minister Benny Gantz signed Aug. 16 an administrative order to confiscate 23 tons of chocolate bars destined for the Gaza Strip, on suspicion of being used as an alternative currency to fund Hamas.

“Based on suspicions, Hamas operates a wide network to finance its activities by selling basic products, including chocolate bars, to the residents of Gaza, and thus uses the revenues as economic support for its military wing in the Gaza Strip,” the Israeli Ministry of Defense said in an Aug. 16 statement.

haroon likes this.
  6. Absolution

Absolution King

The sights from Afghanistan are a heavy nail in the coffin of the Israeli public's support for a withrawal from any militarily-held territory.

It seems that much of the public influencers are now convinced that a terror regime might rise as a result of any withrawal - as was seen previously in Gaza and now in Afghanistan.

Good job, America?
    At least Biden never claimed that peace in Palestine was in his top priorities...

7. Samson

Samson Deity

More live fire at protesters today, with neither Al Jazeera or Times of Israel claiming anything more violent than burning tires from the Palestinians

Al Jazeera:

Hundreds of Palestinians have demonstrated near the Israeli fence in the besieged Gaza Strip, calling on Israel to ease a crippling blockade days after a similar weekend gathering ended in deadly confrontations with the Israeli army.
    The Israeli military, which had beefed up its forces in advance of the demonstration on Wednesday, said it was using tear gas and live fire to disperse the crowd in southern Gaza. Palestinian medics reported at least nine people were wounded.
    Times of Israel:

Over 1,000 Palestinians demonstrated on the border between the Gaza Strip and Israel on Wednesday, burning tires and occasionally rushing the security fence, though the level of violence was largely kept in check by members of the Hamas terror group’s so-called restraint force.

8. Samson

Samson Deity

Six Palestinians escape from high-security prison in Israel

Is this the great escape? I am not sure how in this day and age of geophysics tunnels work. Six people to a cell sounds pretty crowded. I guess high profile prisoners do not get any special treatment.

Israeli forces have been searching for six Palestinian prisoners who managed to escape from a high-security facility in northern Israel early on Monday.
    The prisoners escaped from the Gilboa prison, which is supposed to be one of Israel’s most secured facilities. Such breakouts are extremely rare.

Local media reports said the men, who likely shared the same prison cell, escaped through a tunnel and appeared to have received some outside help. The tunnel appeared to have been dug from below a toilet in the cell, from which the prisoners crawled their way out of the facility.
    The prisoners included Zakariye Zubeidi, 46, a former Fatah party leader in the northern West Bank city of Jenin, as well as five Palestinian Islamic Jihad members serving life sentences for involvement in attacks on Israelis during the Palestinian Intifada – or uprising – in the early 2000s.

Qadura Fares, head of the Palestinian Prisoners’ Club, described the brazen escape as a victory against the Israeli security system.
    “We are happy with this escape. We have called a lot for the necessity of liberating all Palestinian prisoners. If the prisoners can free themselves, this is a great thing,” Fares, who spent 18 years in prison, told Al Jazeera.​

haroon and Birdjaguar like this.
  9. Samson

Samson Deity

Some people are in so much trouble, they escaped at 1:30, no one noticed until 3:30:

Israeli guard slept through Palestinian prisoners’ escape

Investigation into the escape of six Palestinians from the high-security jail reveals the guards failed to notice the whole episode.

An initial investigation into the escape of six Palestinian prisoners who tunnelled out of a high-security Israeli prison shows that surveillance cameras recorded the moment the men exited the tunnel, but none of the guards in the control room noticed.
    One of the guards at the Gilboa jail, who was on duty in the watchtower overlooking the tunnel opening, fell asleep during the escape

According to the findings, the six men had entered the bathroom in their cell at about 1:30am. Prison authorities realised they had escaped at approximately 3:30am, it said.​

10. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The long wait

Just go back to selling guns only, eh?

It certainly is the God Money approved approach.

Not even sure I disagree.

11. mitsho

mitsho Deity

Well, I disagree. We have one planet and we need to now move into an Antrophocene where we take care of it. That requires global solutions - and I very much want these to be democratic (Western, Indian) ones, and not the other option there is.

Selling them Guns by the way is also a huge kind of intereference, but I‘m sure you are aware of it. What makes it tricky is that there isn‘t one America - private enterprises act independently from the government - and there is not one West - and the US seem to be losing / abandoning their leadership slowly.

12. Samson

Samson Deity

It is all going on after those prisoners escaped:

Solidarity protests are being shot at:

Israeli forces fired tear gas, rubber-coated bullets, and live ammunition at crowds who were taking part in rallies on Wednesday evening across various cities in the West Bank, wounding at least 100 people, the Palestine Red Crescent said.
    Increased Israeli military presence in the West Bank

The Israeli army said in a statement that in order to try to find the men “it has been decided to extend the general closure” of the occupied West Bank. Israel has also deployed drones, road checkpoints and an army mission to Jenin, the flashpoint West Bank home town of many of the men who were imprisoned for their roles in the second Palestinian Intifada in the early 2000s.
    Relatives are being oppressed

Earlier on Wednesday, the Palestinian Prisoners’ Club said Israeli forces had arrested at least six relatives of the escaped Palestinians.
    The Israeli army confirmed that “several arrests were made overnight”, without elaborating.
    “Holding someone in order to coerce a relative to do something is a mafia-style tactic,” Omar Shakir, Israel and Palestine director for Human Rights Watch, said in a Twitter post.
    Collective punishment in the prisons

“In the prison of Ofer, the only Israeli military prison inside the occupied West Bank, we’re seeing … a targeting of Palestinian Islamic Jihad prisoners,” Fawcett said.
    “As a whole, Palestinian prisoners are being denied what they usually have access to in terms of yard time, time in the canteen.”
    In a statement, the Palestinian Prisoner Society confirmed that Palestinian detainees had set fire to their prison cells in protest of Israel’s abuses and threats against them. The statement said all Palestinian detainees had announced they would confront any punitive measures imposed on them.
    The prisoners group also threatened a widespread hunger strike if the situation worsens.

13. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

This is one of those things I'm definitely reading, but feel uncomfortable using the forum's rather binary "like" system. Appreciate you sharing it, Samson :)

El_Machinae and Samson like this.
  14. Absolution

Absolution King

Two of the PIJ prisoners were now caught, still within legal Israeli territory.
    It is reported that they showed very minor resistence to the police during the event.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  15. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

So what?

16. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The long wait

Right. So back to guns with Iowans carrying them, seems to be the alternative?

17. Absolution

Absolution King

Nothing.
    Recent posts here had some informative character, so I went along.
    As an Israeli am I always expected to carry an arguement beneath my information?

Birdjaguar likes this.
  18. mitsho

mitsho Deity

No, the first thing to note is that there weren't just guys from Iowa, but also from Edmonton, Bavaria and Sicily. This isn't something the US can and should solve on its own. This is a global responsibility, and the democratic world needs to be together.

Then: where did I say that we need guys with guns? We don't. We need a way forward that takes everyone on board. That gives them a stake in the game, that let's them participate, because those are our democratic ideals. And that means to be present, but not mainly militarily.

It's obvious that the US American (!) neoliberal world policeman tactic didn't work. We need something new, and being absent isn't a solution.

I know that this is very difficult due to the way American interior politics work, but we're talking principles here and your dysfunction is yours to solve, same as it's the Europeans task to solve their own indecisiveness.

I've written way too much again, need to get shorter retorts, but I really don't want to argue and so that's it from me.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  19. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The long wait

And we're not... present?

20. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

most words aren't neutral my guy

and when you put a bunch of them in order together...

ehhhh, I thought both "legal" and "very minor" were trying to put your own spin on things