1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Issue of Animals

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Fafnir13, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Fafnir13

Fafnir13 King

Will this ever be addressed? Every game I play in where any significant amount of open territory is involved, the only animal I see roaming around in any abundance are bears. Boring! FF2 has all these nifty animals which would really liven up the place.
    Theoretically, there are ways for the other animals to keep existing. Wolves grow into wolf packs which can spawn more wolves, lions can grow into lion packs which can settle down into a lion dens and spawn more lions, and giant Spiders can spawn baby spiders which can become more Giant Spiders. I don't think I've seen these event happen more than once or twice. They all get killed by rampaging AI's and the world is left with bears...
    Is this how it's supposed to be? I know, they're just animals. Nothing major to the game, but I would rather that they didn't just add a little flavor then disappear. Apparently(haven't played more than one or two games in it), Fall Further has made it so animals will spawn throughout the game. It would seem like a simple enough fix with plenty of flavorful benefits to it. Would other agree that it would be worth it or am I the only one who's seen enough of the bears?

2. WarKirby

WarKirby Arty person

have ye tried turnin it off and on again?

No, but seriously. Have you tried enabling the Wildlands option ?

FF seems to have a focus on less, (but far more powerful) animal units.

3. Fenboy

Fenboy King

See, I always assumed that the lack of non-bear animals was due to the AI aggressively hunting them. Maybe tone that down, and we'd have more.

4. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

It's not so much the AI hunting them, as it is the fact that they stop spawning early in the game when the Barbs start up.

5. xalien

xalien Prince

Bears keep spawning for the entire game if there are any dens left, so why not other animals?

6. Monthar

Monthar Deity

I have yet to build the grand menagerie due to the serious lack of appropriate animals. Especially since, by the time I can get scout type units that are capable of capturing them, they're all gone.

7. JonathanStrange

JonathanStrange PrinceWithA1000Enemies

It is practically a bear jamboree right now; and most animals do disappear before I can capture 'em. Only when I've sealed off a territory and left an elephant or spider alone until I can capture them, do I see anything other than bears. However other than wanting to build a menagerie, I've not missed their absence. It sort of seemed like the retreat of the wilderness as our nations grow. But if they stuck around longer, I'd like that, probably would enjoy it.

8. cvlowe

cvlowe King

I see plenty of bears, wolves, elephants and spiders. Tigers are pretty rare, and I've only ever seen one gorilla in a game- out of over 10 games taken past the barbarian stage (not counting the grand menagerie scenario).

I do agree animals should spawn longer- by the time I research animal handling and get a scout upgraded to catch animals most of them are killed off and barbarians are spawning instead.

9. phaeton426

phaeton426 Chieftain

Is this a petition to increase the longevity of animal spawnings? If so...

/signed.

I also have only ever seen one gorilla.

10. cvlowe

cvlowe King

If it's not, it should be!

11. Kyroshill

Kyroshill Huh?

Ditto.... unless I'm playing Svarts I never run the recon line early.... which means no Animal Handling until too late to catch much of anything.

I'd like animals running around later in the game... although I cry early when bears and spiders keep eating my scouts and warriors LOL

12. Tielby

Tielby Prince

/signed for later spawning animals. : )

13. Avahz Darkwood

Avahz Darkwood Emperor

Well maybe make the dens spawn randomly like the barrows(?); permanently spawning animals (one for each type dependent on area) until you raze it. At the moment it is auto razed. (was this tried b4 but removed due to a bug?)

14. WarKirby

WarKirby Arty person

I think animals should always be able to randomly spawn

Spawning inside player territy should be much less frequent than spawning in uncontrolled areas, but it should happen, I think. Animals don't just magiocally vanish becuse thre's a settlement nearby

15. ICanHasName?

ICanHasName? Warlord

They dont magically vanish they get eaten by the locals XD

Seriously though, with just a few AI units wondering around all non bear animals die, and then stop spawning. I imagine it would be quite different with very large maps with few civs, but micromanaging tons of cities gets old fast.

16. Revolutionist

Revolutionist Chieftain

I was playing Vanilla recently, it was a real shock to the brain to realize that the animals wandering around were completely useless. It's one of those things that really enriches the game without you realizing it consciously.

But yes, I've noticed that I always end up positively swimming in captured bears. So many so that I usually end up with more of them than I have cities. I send them along with my settlers. Every new town has a dancing bear in the town square.

Sometimes I have a similar abundance of lions and wolves. Gorillas are pretty rare. And I don't think I've seen a wild tiger since Fire. Do they even spawn anymore, or do you need to go FoL?

For my part, I'd like to see the spawning extended too. Except it'd be nice if the animals upgraded too. Dire Wolves or Worgs or something replacing wolves, which you can still settle for wolf cages. That kind of thing. Or an occasional magical beasty spawning instead of orcish barbarians. But I think I'd settle for more gorillas and tigers. Maybe give them a lowish chance of spawning in the non-pine forests, too?

17. Lade

Lade Prince

I actually had one fairly interesting game where a large amount of territory (two cities on the west side, four on the right) remained barbarian as I conquered everyone else that wasn't cut off by mountain ranges. In the late game, a beast master managed to go through and get quite a load of animals. (and enough exp to get Acheron thanks to a great general :p) And guess what? I still couldn't complete the Grand Mengarie...

The only way I've EVER gotten a gorrila was from the hunter event.

Yea, I definatly agree they should spawn longer

18. Kyroshill

Kyroshill Huh?

Can I just say that I was completely dumbfounded a couple weeks ago when in the middle of an MP game, NeOmega actually built the Grand Menagerie. So apparently it IS possible... even without cheating. :goodjob:

19. Revolutionist

Revolutionist Chieftain

And one hour after posting that I haven't seen a tiger in months.

:sad:

20. Kyroshill

Kyroshill Huh?

Ha! Definitive proof that you do NOT play enough FfH :lol: