1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Journey to the North

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Demo Game V: RPG' started by MSTK, Sep 10, 2004.

1. MSTK

MSTK Chieftain

Something about me likes RPGs that are nice and organized. I’m not saying that none out there are, but most are merely social places where you interact with others, with usually no cumulative plot, and things happen and unhappen right before your eyes, with the occasional perk that allows for different styles of socializing.
    Keeping in mind that I am not suggesting in any way that these social RPGs are bad or unwanted. In fact, I like them. However, there is a certain style of RPG that this forum lacks.

I will try my best to bring it here. I cannot guarantee that I will do it successfully. But hopefully, it will draw the attention of those who can improve upon it.

The style I am suggesting is one with a plot and one with a set goal. A “mission”. Be it to survive, to strive, or to compete.

-----------------------------------
    The Journey to the North
    -----------------------------------

The town of Osgiliath started up for a hard day’s work as the sun rose to the east. Morning dew barely disturbed, groggy and sleepy laborers trekked on towards the hills and fields near the town to make their day’s wages. In this state of mind, Myein set up the military camp to the southern border, where the makeshift roads entered the city Zojoji. The foreboding forest looming ahead, Myein set up the large posters that he had prepared the night before prior to nodding off into sleep.

Recruits needed for mission to the arctic tundra. Treasures beyond imagination promised. Profit will be split equally.

Just last year, Myein’s espionage missions to the Babylonian wastelands gave him insight on a black substance that burned profusely. If harnessed correctly, it could be a good source of heat and energy.
    (( OOC: Technology has not progressed to the point of utilizing oil correctly, so don’t worry. There will not be any black treasure this trip. And besides, oil can be found in deserts too. Shows how technology really is needed. ))
    In his entrepreneurial mind, the perfect application of this black sludge was to sell it to the government. It was also slippery. It could be used as lubricants for the armor of the new Samurai unit. Who knew? Something in Myein’s mind clicked. But the sludge was not plentiful enough in Babylon. There had to be more. (( OOC: I don’t know if there is any oil at there at all, but for the purposes of this story, there is. ))
    Common sense led to the tundra. This “oil” was found there. Where else was there tundra? In the north, the arctic, there was snow as far as the eyes could see. That is where this black gold could be harnessed.

It was the alure of riches that sparked the expedition. Something in his mind wished that all this guesswork could be true.

Supplies in hand, he opened the stand, awaiting patrons. The journey to the north had begun.

2. Noldodan

Noldodan 2 years of waiting...

Have you looked at the Omo thread? Sure, about half of it is social interaction, but the other half... For goodness sakes, my character was just betrayed by the head of Japanatican Internal Security! There's plenty of plotting going on there.

3. Ankka

Ankka Chieftain

The Omo goes way too fast. I couldn't keep up with it.

4. MSTK

MSTK Chieftain

Noldo, I agree that there are already these kinds of thread. I just wanted to start my own, with a definite goal at the end.

5. Noldodan

Noldodan 2 years of waiting...

Gotcha. Just making sure.

6. MSTK

MSTK Chieftain

I guess I failed :(
    I'll give it a few more days, I guess.

7. Ankka

Ankka Chieftain

Ankka wonders what the posters are talking about, something called black gold... but isn't gold yellow - ish?

So, he decides to join the small group that may be leaving to go to look for some.

8. RegentMan

RegentMan Chieftain

Hydrino grabs his bow and a couple packs of arrows and attempts to rendezvous with Ankka and Myein.

9. Ankka

Ankka Chieftain

Ankka notices someone with a bow coming towards him and Myein.

"Who are you?" he asks

"Hello folks, I'm Hydrino, the bowman. I came to join the merry party." replies the not-anymore-stranger.

"Well, that's cool. I wonder when Journey Master Myein was gonna start the trip..." says Ankka, looking around for Myein, who propably just went to do some normal things behind a tree.

Seeing Hydrino's bow, Ankka starts wondering if he would need some kind of weaponry too, as the North has been told to be wild and dangerous, with white bears and birds that can thrust dung to over half a meter away.

"Any idea on what weapon I should start training on, to get good enough in handlilng it to be a real use in defending the camp if needed? Would a bow be good, or a stone club, or some sword, or even a cool long spear+" he asks Hydrino.

10. RegentMan

RegentMan Chieftain

"Well, Ankka," Hydrino says, "It depends on you and what you want. If you enjoy hand to hand battle, I'd say find or make a sword. If you prefer to fire at the hostile beings from a distance, I could fashion you a bow."

Hydrino pulls out an iron blade from his knapsack.

"Well, I see some good bow trees. But a sword might be more useful. What's your decision?" he asks Ankka.

11. Ankka

Ankka Chieftain

"I was thinking that perhaps a bow would be better, I've never been too string so I doubt I would really do any good in a man-to-man battle.. Bow would propably be good", answers Ankka after thinking for a moment. "The problem is that I've never been into weapons, so I don't really know how to make and use a bow... any chance you could give me some assistance in getting started? I'll propably learn fast."

12. RegentMan

RegentMan Chieftain

"Very well then," Hydrino answers. "I will help you fashion a bow from this lovely wood here." He takes the convienently placed wood and begins to fashion a bow. After a few hours, the task is complete. "Alrighty then Ankka. Here, watch as I fire some arrows." Ankka watches and then tries his own luck at the shot. The arrow goes a lengthy eighteen inches (45.72 cm). "We've got some work to do." With that, Hydrino and Ankka begin to shoot arrows into the distance, with Ankka getting better with every shot.

13. MSTK

MSTK Chieftain

Waking up from a nap, Myein notices the two people gathering. Silently, he watched as the two helped each other with the bow. Nodding carefully, satisfied, he got up. "So, are two interested in the treasure hunt?"

14. RegentMan

RegentMan Chieftain

Shocked by this man's sudden entry, Hydrino nearly shoots his arrow into Ankka. "Hey! Watch it!" says Ankka. "Sorry, but it appears we have another comrade," Hydrino refers to Myein. "Are we ready, or shall we recruit some of the local folk?" Hydrino asks.

15. MSTK

MSTK Chieftain

Shrugging, Myein replies, "I think we can wait for a few more recruits."

16. Ankka

Ankka Chieftain

Ankka was really excited about the Treasure Hunt and learing the way of the Bow.

Seeing Myein enter and say that a few more people would be needed, he sighed and hoped a few more people would really join.