1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

the joys of whipping (communism)

Discussion in 'Civ3 Strategy Articles' started by rysingsun, Feb 16, 2005.

1. rysingsun

rysingsun Chieftain

well ok now that i have conquests and i actually have a use for the communist government type ive rediscovered the strategy of whipping my citizens to rush-build.

lets get the disadvantages out of the way first: it costs population and it make the remaining citizens unhappy. ok, so when do we whip and why?

mainly it occurs in newly conquered cities. there are some very annoying characteristics ive noticed about conquered cities. for one they seem to often have a large proportion of foreigners in them. and those foreigners are often unappreciative of all im doing to better their lives! they protest the war! they are unhappy! sometimes they even revolt back to their initial civilization! another annoyance of newly conquered cities is their infrastructure is often not up to par with my more enlightened core cities. and in some games i even find that the surrounding land is not well improved by their workers.

matter of fact if i conquer a large city i frequently find that once i get rid of those pesky resistors i have to have so many entertainers that i end up with a food deficit. now some will say to me that this is quite ok because their intent is to starve the city down to size one anyway. what im suggesting is to whip them to size one rather than starving them.

i like to whip temples or marketplaces because the happiness these provide balances the loss of happiness from the whipping. but i also love whipping settlers. you can really drop that population in one big hurry that way. consider also workers or libraries or whatever you like.

now this goes on for just a little while and when the dust settles this is what you usually find yourself with: a size 3 city that can grow every few turns because of its nice small food bin and typically at least a little bit of railroaded irrigated squares by it. and this city may have one native and 2 foreigners. it may also have a marketplace and a temple and if it started as size 11-12 likely it got a free settler squeezed out of it as well. it got all this within about 8 turns of being acquired. thats a production rate worthy of a core city! of course its small now but as it grows it will have almost all native population which really helps a ton on that war weariness and revolt problem. the temple and marketplace will largely offset the whipping unhappiness. the whipping unhappiness will expire too right about the time that the city is getting big again and needs a happiness boost. the temple will provide for border expansion and reduced flipping chance too.

2. thunder

thunder Chieftain

That was actually a lot of fun. Nothing like a good whip to get the job done, ay. I miss those days. Now i like to stick with being a Monarch rather than commy. My hurry method is coin, and i have no WW. It's really nice. You should try it.

3. niiru

niiru Chieftain

Not sure how many people realize this but when you try and rush build something 'expensive', for example a temple, the game will sometimes tell you that there aren't enough citizens to do it. If the city size is a 5 or 6, you can usually still do it by rushing something really cheap (city walls for example) and then rushing something in between (a library for example) and then (assuming the city size is still 2 or more) the temple.

Long live the whip. :)