The Kasbah

MerchantCo

Merchant
Pros/Cons of the Kasbah? Does it make desert tiles worthwhile?

Hills for sure. With Petra obviously all those previously 0-0-0 tiles suddenly are awesome, yeah!

What was the Kasbah effect again, I think +1+1+1, right? So without Petra it actually isn't really worth it on 0-0-0 tiles.

Better off working a farm after fertilizer since at least that citizen will be food neutral or a trading post with rationalism. I think it needs a bump in the industrial or modern era to make it a good UI, otherwise it's just kind of...meh.

It's great on hills combined with Petra and desert folklore, becoming a 2 food, 3 production, 1 gold, 1 faith tile. Plain desert tiles can also become 2/2/1/1. But if you don't have petra its usefulness dramatically reduces, becoming sort of decent on hills near the start of the game and pretty useless everywhere else. It needs some sort of buff in the later game especially.

It is good on hills and flood plains and I don't think it was ever intentionally designed to be spammed on every desert tile to make it "good".

I could see it being used on Petra-less desert tiles if you're playing wide, though I don't know how wide you can be while still being efficient if you're settling bare desert.

Hehe before this goes any further....Everything is great with Petra

one advantage over the normal tiles is that is has a gold. That in itself is a bonus, but it also means that a golden age will yield a lot more gold since more tiles are effected.

for example (late game) you have a desert hill with mine (4:c5production:) and a farmed floodplain (4:c5food:). Change both to Kasbah and you end up with: Hill 3:c5production: 1:c5food: 1:c5gold: and a floodplain with 1:c5production: 3:c5food: 1:c5gold:. So a net bonus of 2:c5gold: and two more tiles for a golden age yield increase.

So yes, i do feel they are worth it and it's just a matter how much food to production ratio you want, but you always have more gold.

one advantage over the normal tiles is that is has a gold. That in itself is a bonus, but it also means that a golden age will yield a lot more gold since more tiles are effected.

for example (late game) you have a desert hill with mine (4:c5production:) and a farmed floodplain (4:c5food:). Change both to Kasbah and you end up with: Hill 3:c5production: 1:c5food: 1:c5gold: and a floodplain with 1:c5production: 3:c5food: 1:c5gold:. So a net bonus of 2:c5gold: and two more tiles for a golden age yield increase.

So yes, i do feel they are worth it and it's just a matter how much food to production ratio you want, but you always have more gold.

I guess this means they rock??? :p

I build them just because they look nice. They are also good for defense if the zulu happen to be anywhere on your continent.

Gotta remember that it raises defense. Also, synergizes well with the Berber Cavalry's bonuses.

Does the Kasbah alone make plain desert tiles worth it? Probably not.
But, if it's a decent city spot that happens to have a few desert tiles (and no Petra) it helps make the spot better.

I guess this means they rock??? :p

Yeah. They're pretty much always better than the alternative, especially in the early game (because hills would only be +3 production with a mine, instead of +1 food, +3 production, and +1 gold).

if I'm playing Morocco, I nearly always rush Petra + desert folklore; once I've gotten Petra, I'll start plopping down kasbahs. (only exception is if I get a weird start without much desert)

tbh, if I'm playing a desert start Civ and miss out on Petra, it'd probably make me quit the game and restart.

Top Bottom