The King of the World Throne Room

I would play at least one more normal style game before going divine intervention. Perhaps the Americans to turn the tables on the evil aztec. Or maybe the Sumerians/Babylonians in an ancient civ game (with the arabs preferrably).

---

If and when you play divine intervention you will need to ensure a set of limits and balances are in place to prevent major divine idiocy in the game. Like blocking off a civ in a little corner of the world with mountains or other major terrain changes for example. Little things like altering plains to grassland and tamping down singular mountains would be acceptable along with influencing religions and granting a few military units. The points system would be good, but you should also specifically prevent/ban certain actions and as someone suggested put in a supervisor god to temper some of the more irrational divinities.

Well, the idea isn't to have a "no-holds-barred" DI game, like most of the ones I've read. The gods would be hand-selected before the game, given specific domains over specific faiths, and be rather limited (by, say, a points system or just good old-fashioned common sense) in their actions. It would be much tamer than the usual free-for-all, but still with the opportunity for some surprises.

It sounds fine as long as it's properly organized. Some of those DI games I've seen were very chaotic and I couldn't figure out who did what. God points sound like and excellent idea.

Actually, it would be interesting to try and make a land bridge in the Bering Strait. Or from Japan/England to the mainland. Or from Spain to North Africa.

Another brainstormy idea: As we all know, on the standard Earth18 map, the big dogs are usually Qin Shi Huang, Cyrus, and either Catherine or Frederick, with the Aztecs rolling over the New World and setting up their own inconsequential fiefdom. Huayna Capac, Genghis Khan, and Isabella, meanwhile, get to languish at the bottom of the scoreboard until someone else either wins or puts them out of their misery. So how about a musical chairs, nature vs. nurture game? Keep the standard roster, but mix'em up a little. How will China fare in the Peruvian highlands? Will the Indian subcontinent be the center of an aggressive empire with a madman like Montezuma spawning Jaguar Warriors all over the place? How would North America fare with Mansa Musa and Louis XIV at the helm? I think it could be fun to find out. What do you all think?

Another brainstormy idea: As we all know, on the standard Earth18 map, the big dogs are usually Qin Shi Huang, Cyrus, and either Catherine or Frederick, with the Aztecs rolling over the New World and setting up their own inconsequential fiefdom. Huayna Capac, Genghis Khan, and Isabella, meanwhile, get to languish at the bottom of the scoreboard until someone else either wins or puts them out of their misery. So how about a musical chairs, nature vs. nurture game? Keep the standard roster, but mix'em up a little. How will China fare in the Peruvian highlands? Will the Indian subcontinent be the center of an aggressive empire with a madman like Montezuma spawning Jaguar Warriors all over the place? How would North America fare with Mansa Musa and Louis XIV at the helm? I think it could be fun to find out. What do you all think?

That sounds like an interesting idea. You should put the computers in starting situtations that are very different from where they normally start (i.e. China in crowded Europe and Isabella in wide open Africa) to see how they fare.

That would be really interesting, especially if you don't know where the AI's start (i.e. someone else does it).

Take out the greeks and go to Australia for as little intervention possible?

And 1 Australia start isn't enough, just so you know :p

Another brainstormy idea:...

You sold me. It'd be fun to see what happens and things won't be nearly as predictable. You might even have to step it back down to Emporer difficulty to stay in step with the randomness! I'd like to see you start from Russia's normal spot, although you don't necessarily have to be Catherine or Peter.

I like the idea of swapping the terrain-shafted civs with terrain gifted civs. Although I'd risk it to say Monty might just languish in jungle hell if you stuck him on the Indian subcontinent. I say stick him in Africa with Caesar :mischief:

You sold me. It'd be fun to see what happens and things won't be nearly as predictable. You might even have to step it back down to Emporer difficulty to stay in step with the randomness! I'd like to see you start from Russia's normal spot, although you don't necessarily have to be Catherine or Peter.

I like the idea of swapping the terrain-shafted civs with terrain gifted civs. Although I'd risk it to say Monty might just languish in jungle hell if you stuck him on the Indian subcontinent. I say stick him in Africa with Caesar :mischief:

Monty in Europe! :lol:

Suggested starts, using our normal 18 CIV leaders

Julius Caesar of the Aztecs
Khan of the Americas
Isabella of the Incans

Elizabeth of the Mali
Hyuna of the Egyptians

Roosevelt of England
Toku of Rome
Catherine of Spain
Qin of France
Saladin of Germany
Cyrus of Russia

Fred of China
Hatty of Persia
Monty of India
Alexander of Japan
Mansa Musa of Arabia

And I agree, I would like to see you play in Russia,.

I forgot, Lou of Mongolia

Well, I seem to be getting some solid feedback on the musical chairs idea... Done, then. I'm gonna wrap up the Caesar game tonight or tomorrow (assuming I can make the Apostolic win happen), then I'll do what needs doing to set up a mixed-up Earth map game! I can't promise anyone who'll go where, but mad's list seems like a solid starting point.

Oh, and re: Australia- I was dragging my feet on that for a reason :) I might decide to start a game down under one of these days, but it won't be anytime soon. Consider the Picard game the definitive treatment of the subject for now.

This is actually a good idea. I've experimented with this kind of stuff a lot, Louis XIV in Peru actually does a lot better than Huyana, hell I put Saladin on the west coast of America (Washington State start, moved the top deer 1s, no other mods to his start but I put some seafood in for Los Angeles) and he actually won all of the wars Montezuma started with him and ended up being the dominant power on the continent, and above all old world powers except for Catherine. He ended up vassalizing Montezuma and tech trading between him, Roosevelt, and Huyana put the continent at tech parity with everyone in the old world except myself.

I've also put Mansa in Roosevelt's start and he does a much better job in that position. I once put Montezuma in China but he got stomped, probably because I start Toku in Korea rather than Japan and I tend to place a civ in Indochina.

I'd recommend doing it so that the civs usually dead last in score would switch places with the civs that are usually first. China, Russia, Persia and The Aztecs would start in Peru, Spain, Mongolia and Japan and vice versa. The Inca could certainly mess up the game in China.

consider playing next war scenario in ur next game

King of the World #17: CLASH OF THE TITANS

it will be way cool:cool:

I'm wanting to cap off my time on Emperor with a France OCC... I'm just torn between Earth18 with Louis and Earth34 with De Gaulle. I gotta say, Charismatic is a bit more useful than Creative in an OCC, and Earth34 has a lot more cities to fall to Paris' insidious culture. But "The Glories of Paris" just screams Louis to me...

Oh, and CivMan, don't worry... America is coming sooner rather than later.

Is one year sooner or later? ;)

If I may suggest an idea for a future game, why not have King of the Classical World? Basically, play one enormo Med. map as any classical civ(Rome, Persia, Greece, Celts, Carthage[and debatably Babylon, Sumer, Egypt, and Eastern Rome?), give Alexander Macedon?, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe use Babylon and Sumer as fillers for other states? Bismark the Germanic? Boudica on Britain and Brennus in Austria? Have Zara start in Axum? Turks in the Caucasus? Have Isabella/Joao represent the Iberian tribes? You could really do whatever you wanted with this type of game.

My wishlist:

Saladin in Mexico (resourseless horse UU for a horse-less Americas)
Caesar in America
Mansa in Peru (with the open mountain pass)

HC in Egypt (wonder and tech whore that he is OMG)
Asoka in Mali (fast workers for the jungles of the Dark Continent)

Qin in England
Khan in Greece
Cyrus in Spain (early horses... might off one of the neighbors quickly)
Hattie in Germany
Cathy in France
Fred in Italy

Rosy in China (come on Rosy, if you can't do good there, you just suck!!)
Isabella in Japan
Monty in Persia
Louis in Mongolia (suck tundra, fatty!)
Alex of Arabia
Toku of India
Liz/Neal in Russia ftw!

Top Bottom