1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The King of the World Throne Room

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Neal, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Coffee Mug

Coffee Mug Chieftain

Welcome back!

Have you ever played around with the Earth 1000 AD scenario? It's not terribly well thought out, but the Vikings are tons of fun to play (and are definitely behind the 8-ball at the start), especially if you tweak the save to Epic or Marathon speed.

2. Harv

Harv Emperor Supporter

First of all, welcome back, Neal! I am sure everybody is glad to see you alive and well. There no need to be worried about losing interest in the Lincoln Game.

Personally I find the Huge Earthmap games to be very exhausting and I seem to remember you mentioning real life every once in a while. I am chronic with never finishing games. As time elapses since the last turnset I find myself less inclined to finish.

Have you looked at the Earth Challenge? It is on the General Discussion Forum and available in Standard and Huge sizes.

Here is the Earth Challenge on Huge Size

Here is the Earth Challenge on Standard Size

3. Pieman

Pieman Prince

Sweet, it's The Return of the King!
    Personally, I really enjoy Civ V - sure the changes can be disconcerting but I like what they've done with it, at least after all those patches. That being said, I think Neal's following would drop by two-thirds if he took up V so best to stick with IV :p
    A Rhye's game might be cool, though I'm not sure what everyone else feels about that, including Neal. All that said, it's entirely up to him to decide what to do - it's his game series after all

4. dankok8

dankok8 Elected World Leader

May I suggest playing the next KOTW with the starting locations mod. You load the mod, go to Custom Scenario, load the sr neutral Earth map and you can play with 18 random civs in the world. Makes it more interesting when you don't know who shows up! :)

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=17413

The mod does not change anything in the game accept it sets the starting locations for every civ.

5. bobbyboy29

bobbyboy29 I was saying boo-urns...

Welcome back Neal! Your brilliant series and writing style have been sorely missed. I'm really excited for this game. I wouldn't mind seeing a European AW (Greece or Germany?) or maybe a south-east asia start.

6. Sian

Sian Emperor

find a map with everyone on and run that, if you haven't done allready ... optional with assorted extra civs from assorted mods

7. WelshGandalf

WelshGandalf King

WB Neal!

I'm a relatively recent addition to the forum, but I've read most if not all of your KOTW games. They're a fantastic read & would love for you to do more, don't really care if you use the orinigal Earth18, or other Earth maps, or these mods people are suggesting etc.

8. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Hey, neal is back :p

To be honest I like the idea of running a E1000AD game just to break it out. It is a very interesting scenario especially because you have to get out of the hole in most of the civs. I already runned 2 SGs with it ( Inca and Japan ... first space win ( quite easy IF you push the colonization up and evade a European or Asian invasion ) and the second by conquest ( just start by grabbing China before they can get their act together )...

So I would sugest maybe the Byzantines ( their UU pwns everything in the game start and Saladin is up for the grab ) or the Arabs ( lots of possibilities of expansion, but also a lot of danger with the Christians all in gangbang on you since game start... and the nice fact of losing cities even before you play :p ). If you want to go more exotic :/ the Khmer or the Koreans ... both start in horrible positions for war and unlike the Inca you can't make it by mindless expansion

9. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Good to see you back, Neal. I'd love to see more games by you, for Civ4 or 5. :)

10. Neal

Neal King of the World

Okay... So I'm closer to a resolution. Everyone's saying either "Civ IV!" or "Either one," so I guess Civ V is out :) I own V, but I never got around to installing and learning it, so it's probably for the best. Then again, I haven't played IV since the abandoned Lincoln game, so I'm thinking I'll do an easier scenario to ease my way back into things. Right now I'm torn between China on Earth18 using the Real Always War mod and try to keep my head above water as the world burns, and tearing it up with some Cataphracts in 1000 A.D.

11. madscientist

madscientist RPC Supergenius

I think it's easier to get back into the swing of things with the always war mod. Less concern for diplomacy that way.

12. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Which is a roundabout sneaky way of saying "Play the Real Always War Mod" dammit!!! :lol:;) (umm.....that would have my vote as well - just in case that didn't go through :D)

13. strijder20

strijder20 Wallowing in irony

Well, it obviously has my vote too, as I proposed it :p
    Would be nice to see a game with no diplo involved.

14. Neal

Neal King of the World

Grr... Well, it appears that my copies of Civ IV, Warlords, and BtS somehow disappeared between my two moves in the past year and a half (part of the "real life stuff" that got in the way). So things will be delayed by at least a few days while I order up a replacement. The best deal I can seem to find is a UK import for about $8.50. That'll work, right? There's no real difference? I mean, if I should spring the $30 for the U.S. edition, I guess I will, but I don't really see the point...

15. Sian

Sian Emperor

i'd guess if you look a bit around you should be able to find a complete box in a bargage bin in a computer shop for 5-10£

16. Fleme

Fleme Obey the Kitty!

The UK Edition replaces Spices with Tea and the tech flavor texts for tech discoveries are read by Ian McKellen instead of Nimoy but other than those and a few other minor things such as a few graphics modifications and what have you it should be the same as far as I know.

17. madscientist

madscientist RPC Supergenius

What!!?? Tea instead of spices!!!! I aint following this!

18. vranasm

vranasm Deity

I think they are sales on steam too. 30$ looks like a lot of money to me for the game of this age.

19. Gwynnja

Gwynnja Deity

You were playing 3.19 right? You shouldn't need the disc so long as you didn't delete it from your computer.

20. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Yup, if you have BtS installed just patch it to 3.19 ( if you didn't already ).