The King of the World Throne Room

After all of this wears out you should use Rhys and Fall's map with the larger Europe and other features (just without the swamp or any of the other Rhy map rules)

I've made one with all the Earth18 civs, replacing Rome by Khmer, and, for the sake of political correctness (and resistance to Monty), replacing Americans ith Native Americans here. (Althrough it'a mod, 'cause I did include some RFC rules - the jungles are uncuttable 'till Biology, farming floodplains is not possible 'till biology, and Tundra provides no food.)

Well, the starting positions may not change much, but the UU/UB options will, greatly. A China game with Keshiks will, I imagine, be quite different from one with Cho-ko-nus.

Not really. As Mongolia, you let China found your cities for you, and conquer them and maybe Japan with keshiks, and then war your way through the game. As China, you found your cities peacefully, and conquer Japan and Mongolia with Cho-Ko-Nus.

Rhye's and Fall makes the games so different from that it's not even funny. I've only played two games with Rhye's. The first one was the worst game of civ I've ever played, as I played as Spain, and tried to conquer all of Europe just out of the starting gate and collapsed down to my capital. The second was the best and most interesting game I've ever played, as I actually read the rules, didn't expand as fast as possible, and won a Roman UHV. I'd suggest, since this is just a Earth series, not a Earth 18 series, you at least give it a try.

I like RFC, but I feel that stability is too rigid and harsh and the plague and numerous AI adjustments which cause the AI to build less units are bad for the AI. So, I modified the stability to make it softer and modded the plague out. I also did some other minor changes - I always mod the mods I download.

I don't like some UHV's and go for those that require you to play nearly the whole game to win (like the German or the Japanese one).

Well, I've only played two games, but I can see your point. Plague was a little too widespread for gameplay, and I didn't notice the unit thing. It definitely has some flaws, but I love it. :D

So once I finish the slog that is this OCC, I'm thinking of doing #11 as an "ancient Civs only" map. Maybe something like Carthage, Greece, Rome, Egypt, Persia, Babylon, China, India, Korea, Japan, Maya (the only really "ancient" American Civ, maybe moved to South America), Native Americans (kind of a catch-all term, just so that North America isn't empty), and the Celtics in Ireland. Maybe include Sumeria, though they might make things too messy. Figure everyone who existed by, say, 1 A.D.

I think it would change the dynamic in some interesting ways. Europe wouldn't be an automatic mashup, allowing Greece, Rome, and posibly the Celts to become the scary powerhouses that they never get to be. The opened-up map would allow the AIs to excel at, well, doing what AIs do, which is expanding and building. And the history-buff in me wouldn't cringe every time I see Roosevelt's face in 2000 B.C. Things would take on a more authentic ancient empires feel, I think.

Any thoughts?

Great idea. A ancients game. This would really show the side of Earth 18 map that most people haven't seen. BTW, could somebody make a list of all Civs before 1 AD so Neal doesn't have to?

I like that idea. You could also, ahem, tweak the map, maybe pitch like 1/3 or 1/2 of the european resources so Rome doesn't start with like 4 capitals that others may not be able to get to.

Also, if you don't get 18 from the standard map, perhaps a quick modded extra tribe in? Throw on a Germanic tribe, or the Gauls, maybe. Just to balance it out a bit.

If you do play the map, I'd suggest going with maybe Babylon, which might be a challenge. Fight all your neighbours, or can you beat everyone else to the basic Russian lands?

If you're gonna do a before 1AD map the middle east is gonna become the new Europe. Saladin in the south, Hammurabi in the middle, Sumeria and Persia are all gonna be fighting over there!

Well, Sumeria, Persia, Egypt, and Babylon, anyway. With Greece maybe even making a push. The Arabs as Civ presents them are really more of a medieval phenomenon than an ancient one, so I'm planning on leaving them out. But the Middle East being a crowded battlefield kind of fits in with the "feel" of an ancient empires game, so I think it works. That said, I'm kinda-sorta thinking about leaving Sumeria out of it. And I want to see Rome being an unkillable juggernaut. That's the whole point of Rome, that's usually left out of the Earth maps.

All that said, maybe the next one after that could be a "medieval civs" map, with England, France, Spain, Russia, the HRE, the Arabs, the Incas, the Aztecs, and such. And then maybe finish off with an "Industrial/modern" game with Germany, the US, and all of that.

I dunno. I'm just brainstorming ways to keep things fresh. This France game will be ending soon, one way or another, and I want to know what you all think of this little thought experiment.

What I think:
Sumeria
Babylon
Persia
Rome
Celts in South France
Mayans
Native Americans
Egypt
Carthage
Greece
China

A modern Game would be fun, with America having a whole continent to herself and European powers have the ability to expand into Italy and the Balkans. However I like the idea of an ancient map the best. And if you ever put the Frankish empire in, make sure that Aachen is at least close to its historical location. However that would have to go in place of Germany.

I think an Ancient Game and a Modern Game would be great. Not so sure about the Medieval Game though, looks kind dull.

Some ideas (from Mad Scientist's RPC summary, I'm not sure if Mad is okay with me giving these ideas to you though): http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=255397&page=1

Game 1:
-Your cities must be capitals. You're allowed your own capital and AI capital cities (captured of course, and only the original capital). Other cities must be raised. Interesting empire management decisions ensue. You can maybe have barb cities if it sounds too tough. Basically you'll never build a settler.

Game 2:
-No buildings of any type may be built; No wonders, no national wonders, no shrines, no nothin'! All captured cities with buildings must be razed. Can win by any victory condition.

Another idea (from dualdoc's challenge: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=254455):

Game 3:
-Deity OCC Always War (look at the link for more details)

I think he's trying to avoid turning this into Mad Scientist's RPCs... but on Earth!

I like the idea of an ancient version of the Earth map.
The critera 1AD sounds ok, it may be a bit hard to decide for some civs, for example there were German tribes around but not a civ Germany (which was founded in 1871AD), but not a real problem just go with your gut feeling.
(And it's also not hard to justify leaving out Sumeria, at 1AD there was no Sumerian civ anymore)

I think he's trying to avoid turning this into Mad Scientist's RPCs... but on Earth!

I knew there was going to be some controversy using these ideas. As I mentioned, I am unsure if Mad is okay with me using these ideas. On top of that, they are just ideas that Neal doesn't have to use for whatever reason. I am fine if there are negative reactions as I can understand that perspective.

In other words, don't blame me!!!!! :cry:

Wait, I think people are forgetting that you're giving China the best land in the game ( comparable to Europe IMO) AND you're going to let them expand alone with nobody to stop them!!! AHHH! At least add another East Asian Civ. I don't think Neal wants to see Qin knocking on his door with 20 cities

China's got Korea, Japan, and India to contend with, at least on my list. That's basically the Earth 18 setup, only with Genghis getting swapped out for the (much more effective, imho) Wang Kon.

And, yeah. The closest thing I might do to an RPC is a Divine Intervention game sometime in the future. Settings stuff, like Always War, is an option, but I don't want to set arbitrary "rules" for myself.

Now, I guess the question is, on the "ancient empires" map, who should I play as? India, maybe? That would set me apart long enough to see the dynamics of the new political layout. The Maya or Natives would allow the same thing, though that might be a little too detached. Maybe finally give a Chinese Choko rush a try...

If it's going to be an ancient game, it makes sense to stick you in the breadbasket of civilization... sumeria or babylonia.

So once I finish the slog that is this OCC, I'm thinking of doing #11 as an "ancient Civs only" map. Maybe something like Carthage, Greece, Rome, Egypt, Persia, Babylon, China, India, Korea, Japan, Maya (the only really "ancient" American Civ, maybe moved to South America), Native Americans (kind of a catch-all term, just so that North America isn't empty), and the Celtics in Ireland. Maybe include Sumeria, though they might make things too messy. Figure everyone who existed by, say, 1 A.D.

I think it would change the dynamic in some interesting ways. Europe wouldn't be an automatic mashup, allowing Greece, Rome, and posibly the Celts to become the scary powerhouses that they never get to be. The opened-up map would allow the AIs to excel at, well, doing what AIs do, which is expanding and building. And the history-buff in me wouldn't cringe every time I see Roosevelt's face in 2000 B.C. Things would take on a more authentic ancient empires feel, I think.

Any thoughts?

Actually, I quite like the idea. I would love to see some modified Earthmaps with the following:

1. Ancient Civs (Egypt, Sumeria, Babylon)
2. Classical Civs (Greece vs Persia, Rome vs Carthage
3. Middle Ages Civs
4. Age of Discovery Civs
5. Modern Civs

How many civilizations is appropriate on this Earthmap? (I know 34 is too many and I am thinking more like 14.) How many in each region? Should we start a thread somewhere to build and test various Earth scenarios? (I have not tried my hand at modding yet.)

I'm waiting for the pain of the DeGaulle game to kick in.... seems no one has noticed.

I think a fun game would be an Earth 34 Suleiman or Ghandi Espionage Economy game.. focus on taking out your enemies subtley, while stealing everything your more intelligent neighbor has to offer! Muahaha..

Though the ancient stuff would sound good too.

Also, another idea, is have a bunch of Imperial Age civs, with no civs in the New World. The Dutch or Portugese would be a fun play in that one.

Top Bottom