1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

The Kingdom of Hyrule 0.2.1.1

Adds the Kingdom of Hyrule, led by Princess Zelda, to Civilization VI.

1. MisterChau

MisterChau Chieftain

I'm loving this mod, so nice for some early Culture thanks to Temple of Time GM points! Very versatile as well with Hero of Time and Faith generation. As empresskiova noted though, Temple of Time doesn't let me get Apostles (tested Mahabodi and it didn't give Apostles :\) and sometimes Hero of Time doesn't heal at all whether it be fortifying until healed or standing on a Fairy Fountain. Hopefully modding will get easier soon for Civ 6.

2. decster584

decster584 Chieftain

Ha oh dear, that is pretty game breaking :D I'll get a patch out ASAP. With regards to HoT healing, did you notice this with any other units?

3. MisterChau

MisterChau Chieftain

No, all my other units healed normally. I haven't tested whether or not the Fairy Fountain works on them though.

4. decster584

decster584 Chieftain

5. Camiata2

Camiata2 Chieftain

Created an account just to commend you on a job well done! I haven't downloaded the mod as of yet, but I'm eager to give it a spin. I did a Twilight Princess civ for V with Midna as the leader that I never posted to the workshop, so I'm anxious for the SDK to release so I can work on one for VI as well. I'll probably even make it available this time too to get feedback from the community.

6. decster584

decster584 Chieftain

Hey, thanks a lot! That sounds amazing. I'm thinking of doing a Hyrule map + scenario with a few other Zelda races (Gorons, Zora, Gerudo, maybe more) and if you're interested further down the line would love to collaborate on that.

7. Camiata2

Camiata2 Chieftain

Absolutely! The Zora civ sounds fun too.

8. empresskiova

empresskiova Chieftain

Got though a full game, first up review and second bug reports. I'll give my current balance thoughts too.

Map was Standard sized Shuffle (Came out as Low Sea/Hot/Dry I believe). I began rather isolated with access to 2/5 of the sacred stones. This gave me plenty of time to focus on infrastructure. 8 total civs, the AI on Prince. Took the game on Culture (my predetermined goal). The Civics tree was a couple turns off from being completed, while i was just approached info era Techs. All in all, nothing felt broken. I had a lucky start after all.

I had a load of Great Works, ranging from Music to books to artifacts to arts. Had a ton of wonders too.

There were a few bugs, but from what I can tell most of them should be minor/barely affect gameplay.

-You receive copies of Hero of Time even if you don't have Iron Working. I don't know if this was intended or not, but I learned this to be true.
    -Hero of Time can crank out 3 Fairy Fountains. Again, not sure if this was intended or not.
    -Holy Site graphic glitched out after reloading a save. It still worked fine however.
    -Cannot purchases Inquisitors despite launching the Inquisition. Defensive Apostles prevent this from being a total deal breaker at the moment.
    -Can construct Temple of Time prior to building Shrine.
    -Fairy Fountains do not grant Tourism upon reaching Flight (or whichever Tech/Civic grants Tourism from Culture improvements). This barely matters, fortunately.
    -No Background Music, though I won't be surprised if this is out of your hands right now. :)
    -Hero of Time cannot be Upgraded. Not sure if this was by design or not.
    -You can still train Warriors after Iron Working, but you cannot upgrade them into Musketmen. Warriors hit obsolensce by Muskets.
    -Warriors can upgrade into Hero of Time for obscene amount of gold.

Balance-wise: Woah this was a fun Civ to play. Zelda led Hyrule is a unique mixture of Rome, England and Russia taking small parts from each and incorporating it into a very strong culture game. Of those 3, Russia is the closest comparison, with her Lavras pumping out GPP like nuts. However, unlike Russia, Zelda actually has somewhere to stick those musicians.

From turn 2 you can already see that Zelda is in the game (just look at the GPP), so that does reveal who you are immediately. This is only notable to human players, but I thought it was a neat quirk.

LA: Goddess' Harp: +2 Music Points isn't that awesome, but it does pretty much guarantee you a Musician by Medieval. (Weak)
    NA: Sacred Stones: +3 Faith from 5 of the luxuries isn't bad. It won't fuel a religion run, but it can help you protect yours. Also acts as Valletta fuel very nicely. (Weakish)
    UU: Hero of Time: Free copies of Link is great for defense, but he can't war on his own. His maintenance is also heroic, but you learn to deal with it. Fairy Fountains rock for early culture boosting and for holding out against barbs. Because of a very high Faith cost, he ain't spammable. (Good)
    UB: Temple of Time: This is the sexy that makes this Civ rock and allows it to be reasonably competitive. Having 2 Music slots on top of a Relic slot and then still giving a little bit more Music Points (+1 per turn, each) more than makes up for everything else this Civ is poor at (Science, Drawn out Wars versus competent foes). It makes the Broadcast Center pointless to construct, but then again, you can't guarentee you'll have tons of room to expand like I had. This building alone allows Hyrule to compete with Russia. (Spectacular)
    UB: Fairy Fountain: Myriad Culture amounts and a full heals. You'll find yourself ignoring these once your Culture game takes off. Makes it pointless to take the Healing Patheon or build Forts, but most Civs do. (Weakish)

I'd wager that this Civ is pretty balanced. It really only has one Gov't path (Republic, Republic, Democracy) and one reliable victory path (Culture), but to be fair just about all of the Civs. Great job!!!

9. decster584

decster584 Chieftain

Wow, this feedback is incredible. Thank you so much for going into such detail!

To respond to some of your points:

- Receiving HoT even without Iron Working is intentional.
    - I originally intended on only one fairy fountain build, but I put it up to three to do some testing. I found that 3 seemed to be better balanced anyway so left it that way.
    - The music is unfortunately out of my hands at the moment. :(
    - Hero of Time upgrade is not by design but something I am aware of and have not been able to fix yet. I believe it's because we're replacing the swordsman it gets pushed into that upgrade tree and it messes up everything around it. There will be a fix though, I just need to figure it out.

I'm also very pleased that you completely got my entire vision and reasoning for all the traits and balance. Seriously, thank you so much, replies and feedback like this make the whole thing worth it.

10. Eltoshan

Eltoshan Chieftain

This is very awesomely done. Can you possibly point me to any custom art asset creation tutorials or instructions? I have a mod I've been working on and I'd love to be able to customize some of the icons/images as you have (spectacularly btw)

11. decster584

decster584 Chieftain

You're giving me FAR too much credit there - the Zelda artwork is from Hyrule Warriors, the fairy fountain is just a shrine with some fairies on top. I'm the wrong person to ask about art. The only thing I can recommend is to use GIMP and its DDS plugin to export the files in the correct format, and then you need to export them all in the correct sizes. I'm actually having trouble with the art on the leader selection screen at the moment - I need to convert the mod to a ModBuddy mod I think so I can figure out what I'm doing wrong, but I don't have enough space on my hard drive for the big asset download and no time to sort it all out at the moment :(

12. Camiata2

Camiata2 Chieftain

Update: I've started to piece together my ideas for the Twilight Princess mod. I originally started out with just the idea of the same basic tenants of the one I created for V, but then I became a little ambitious in scope. Now I'm planning on having two leaders for this civ (Midna and Zant) that offer drastically different play styles.

13. decster584

decster584 Chieftain

That sounds awesome. I have to admit that I've not actually touched this mod since the update, since I need to make room on my Windows partition for the dev assets - I'll pick it up again in a bit I'm sure.

14. Palavos

Palavos Chieftain

hello and thanks for the mod :). I firstly downloaded it from steam workshop but it does not have any picture of the leader of the civilization. Then I noticed that here the version is updated (0.2.1.1 instead of 0.2.1.0 from workshop).

So I canceled my subscription on the workshop and then downloaded the mod from here and extracted it into C:\Users\johnp\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods

But when I run the game and go to additional content, it still show the previous version from the workshop :(

What am I doing wrong?

15. Camiata2

Camiata2 Chieftain

Yeah, I haven't done much with it as of yet. My attention has been focused on other things at the moment, but it's on my "to do" list.

16. papaguss

papaguss Chieftain

Funny thing. Game loaded nicely but when the map showed up not a unit in site !!?? Not on the whole map Empty??

17. papaguss

papaguss Chieftain

Found Answer:Hyrule Civilization will not work with>YnAMP+Cordiform Earth+DLC Compat. mods(all ynamp mods)

18. TyrannusRex

TyrannusRex Chieftain

@decster584 How did you get the blank template for the leader and diplomacy screens?
    And what software did you use? Just high-end Photoshop?
    I'd love to make screens like that, but I don't know how.
    (PS: Do you know the name of the font they use?)

19. TyrannusRex

TyrannusRex Chieftain

@decster584 Also, I don't know if you already have music in this, but I thought it'd be cool to hear how Hyrule's theme changes over the ages.
    Here's some rough ideas of what I imagine:
    Ancient Era:

Medieval Era:

Industrial Era:

Atomic Era:

(Something referencing the original 8-bit track is a must here. I would cut out Navi, though...)