The Korean Strife

Gooblah

Heh...

----

A storm was coming. Word had reached the ancient capital of the Korean Empire that the Mongol hordes had been organized under the leadership of Genghis Khan...and that their wrath was directed towards Korea.

The aged leader sighed, and pressed his fingertips together. The northern city of P'yong'yang, the second largest in the Empire, controlled several important chokepoints. If it fell, then so did the Empire. It lay on the Taedong River, which had been used for centuries to control commerce in Korea, and after the hard-fought battles of the Unification, only now had all Koreans begun to use it. Wang Kon turned towards a window, gazing upon his illustrious city. He had began life as an infant in the richer district of Seoul, son of a well-off merchant who controlled much of the Yeasong River trade. Instead of following in his father's footsteps, however, young Wang had darted out from his gilded lifestyle to join the military of Gung Ye, leader of Taebong.

His skills at organization, command, and tactics proved their worth when he was elected general by Gung Ye. His methods destroyed the bandits and clans that threatened the stability of Taebong. When Gung Ye took full control of Taebong, Wang Kon was his right-hand man. However, the absolute power of Gung Ye corrupted the once-noble prime minister, and his harsh rule prompted rebellion in the empire, which reached its pinnacle in the year 918. It was then that Wang Kon was elected Prime Minister and King by four generals, and swiftly resumed control of Taebong. The army, now loyal to its ruler, and followed Wang Kon north to retake Ballae and the ancient capital of Gorguyeo - Pyongyang.

It was on this fateful expedition that a soldier left for dead by the king managed to crawl, kneel, and finally stand long enough for a sword to be driven through the heart of the king. While the battle raged on, the Royal Guard had quickly removed the body of Wang Kon from the field to ensure the ultimate triumph of Taebong - now Korea. Yet he had survived, miraculously, and Wang Kon determined he was blessed - he was immortal.

Such thoughts swirled around his mind until he shook his brain clear.

"General Yusong!" A sharply dressed man ran into the hall, his sword drawn.

"My liege," he knelt, forehead pressed to the floor. "your orders?"

"Take the City Guard and the Seoul Militia and send them north. They must meet the threat posed by the Mongol Hordes." He waved his palm as if to forestall any questions. "Do not worry about me, your Guard is superbly trained to protect me, and I am no weakling." The general, now standing, looked uncomfortable. After a suitable pause, he sheated his sword, and answered, "As you wish, your majesty." There was a whirl of cloth on stone as the general turned, and then proceeded to leave the room.

Good story!
I'll be following this one closely!

BTW, is this an Earth 34 civ map?

No, I think this is the BtS 1000 AD map, with Korea, Khmer, Vikings, Byzantium and HRE (instead of Germany).

Top Bottom