1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Korean War Redux

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Scenario League' started by McMonkey, Jun 11, 2017.

1. McMonkey

McMonkey ----Evertonian---- SLeague Staff

For ToTPP v0.13
    Version 1

NK.PNG

The Korean War Redux is a collaborative project between Patine and I, with playtesting credits to Tootall. Designed with advanced of veteran Civ2 gamers in mind, this scenario will challenge you! Think hordes of bugle blowing Chinese infantry swarming through your lines in vast human wave charges. Mig 15s going up against your Sabre jets and North Korean T-34/85s smashing through hastily prepared defensive positions.

We have borrowed several concepts from Tootall's excellent Vietnam scenario, as well as ideas from many other Test of Time classics to try and recreate the intensity of this often overlooked war.

Please see the readme pdf for a full description and enjoy!

CH.PNG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    Mati1465 likes this.
  2. voltar

voltar Drunken Russian

Hmm why tottp v13?

14.1 seemed to work well in your Spanish Civil War scenario?

3. McMonkey

I'm sure it will work just fine with v14.1 too. I believe each ToTPP version was backward compatible. I just happen to have been using v13 to build this one. I think I may have read, correctly or incorrectly, that v14 had a few minor bugs. I will test with v14, but I'm pretty confident it will work fine with that version too.

4. techumseh

techumseh Emperor

I'm looking forward to playing this!

5. McMonkey

I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of it. I have a feeling it will be the kind of challenge you will enjoy, though it is quite a large scenario with long AI turns. I would expect it would take most players a couple of weeks to complete unless they spend many long nights obsessively chasing that elusive 'one more turn'!

6. Patine

Patine Deity

Bravo! After all these years. Downloading it now.

7. McMonkey

Enjoy Pat. It has been a pleasure to work on this project. Thank you for allowing me to tinker with your project!

I would urge anyone panning to play to download the ReadMe pdf and take notes on the critical points. This is not an easy scenario to master and small errors of judgement can have long lasting consequences. Thorough planning will be required, as well as an appreciation for the different historical stages of the conflict. Knowing when to preserve your strength and when to strike hard and exploit the situation. I can't stress enough the importance of trying to capture all of the northern KPA cities before the Chinese intervene. This will leave your forces strung out over a large area and very venerable, but not taking this risk will mean a harder game in the long run. Cut off KPA units in the south and west can be screened off and dealt with later on. Push north with everything you can muster and stop for nothing!

8. tootall_2012

tootall_2012 Prince

Hi McMonkey,

Congratulations on releasing your Redux version of Patine's Korea project.

Having had the pleasure of play testing the scenario I can definitely confirm that this is a great effort. The quality of the graphics and design are simply first rate.

For those looking for a real challenge look no further, as the AI will not ask for nor give you any quarter!

9. techumseh

techumseh Emperor

There seems to be a number of errors in the events text, specifically the names of certain units, eg. the provisional marine bde, US 2nd Infantry. I'm surprised that these weren't caught before it was released.

10. techumseh

techumseh Emperor

US units are labeled "infantry divisions" in the summer rules, and just "divisions" in the winter rules and events. Are the events available in the standard format? It would be easier to modify.

11. Patine

Patine Deity

I will admit, due to my rusty actual playing skills, the significantly increased difficulty of McMonkey's version 2.0 update is such that I have not successfully yet won a playthrough, but been soundly defeated by the AI for all my tries thus far (though I'm still determined to beat it). Thus, I hadn't become aware of these errors due to lack of successful playtest progress.

12. McMonkey

@techumseh
    That's really strange. The scenario has been thoroughly playtested by myself and Tootall and neither of us picked up on this error. Perhaps I managed to get something mixed up with the final upload. I will look into this right away!

@Patine
    It is a beast of a scenario. The AI is brutal and progress after the Chinese intervention will not be easy. I have always enjoyed tough scenarios much more than walkthroughs. Working out how to finally outsmart the AI after multiple tries is what drives me on to succeed.

13. McMonkey

I have worked out what has gone wrong. I changed the names of a lot of units after Tootall noted that they were too long to fit into some of the advisor screens. This was done after testing was completed and was a purely cosmetic change. I completely neglected to duplicate these last minute changes in the summer rules file. The original rules and winter rules are OK, but when you go back to summer again the changes are the old files. It is an easy fix (just copying and renaming the original rules as summer rules) and I will upload it now. To fix it in game just copy and paste the updated winter rules in and everything will work. Apologies for this oversight. It is the classic schoolboy error! :blush:

Files to follow shortly!

14. McMonkey

Fixed summer rules. Please extract then copy and paste into the Korean War Redux scenario folder.

Attached Files:

15. McMonkey

Here is the complete fixed scenario. I have also updated the upload in the OP and will upload them to the Wiki.

Attached Files:

16. techumseh

techumseh Emperor

It's a common mistake with multiple Rules files. The final changes were made to the Winter Rules and the Rules Rules, but not to the Summer Rules. When you run the Bat. file, it replaces the Rules Rules with the unchanged Summer Rules. Follow? :crazyeye:

17. McMonkey

18. techumseh

techumseh Emperor

I'm up to the Inchon invasion, and enjoying the scenario very much. The new McMonkey version is a significant improvement over the original.

Here are my comments and suggestions:

1. IMHO, the design is mainly hampered by the map, something I've raised before. The lack of depth from north to south limits the tactical opportunities for the UN player and forces the progress of the scenario to be more predictable than it might have been. In particular, the flood of UN reinforcements in the turns following the PRK invasion means that the Pusan perimeter is readily defended unless the human player makes a serious error in the first few turns. Nothing to be done about it, I know, but there it is.

2. While it's early going for me, it seems that the events follow the historical campaign rather closely, rather than allowing a fuller range of options for the human player, or creating more unpredictability in the PRK (AI) strategy.

3. PRK air power is vastly exaggerated. In fact there were only 132 PRK aircraft at the beginning of the war, and they were largely destroyed by the end of the first month. F-51 Mustangs played a role in this, and should also have the fighter flag.

4. Check your @Sounds field. Some air units have the wrong sound, and the T-34/85's in particular have no assigned sound.

Regardless, I find it an excellent scenario and lots of fun. I'll carry on and provide more comments as I progress.

19. techumseh

techumseh Emperor

With respect to my 1st point, since reinforcements are determined by researching technologies, could the game be made more difficult by slowing the research rate? I research 1 tech per turn at the start, and by the time I'm down to the perimeter, I still get one every 2 turns, resulting in a steady stream of reinforcements in the first several months.

20. techumseh

techumseh Emperor

Having a challenging time. First game, I busted out of the Pusan perimeter to link up w. Inchon forces but was surprised by the attacks from the cut-off forces in the south. So I reloaded and set about systematically eliminating PRK forces south of Seoul. Now I've missed the chance to knock out North Korea before the large scale reinforcements and the Chinese counter-offensive. Those MiGs are quite a shock! I'm bogged down now, and taking heavy casualties. Time for a second reset I think. Very challenging and enjoyable.