The Last Rising Tide Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximus_Light

Chieftain
Alright, just one left, I remember an earlier developer comment on there being two water-based factions and now we've just one sponsor left.
Personally, my money is on (don't hate me) a a reunited Korea combined with Japan sponsor. I know that Korean-Japan EVER working together again completely ignores the last 100 hundred years but considering Firaxis put Pakistan and India back together it seems like something they would do.

he fact that I can't think of another set of nations that are both technological advanced and have a substantial sea-faring tradition helps too. Both South Korea and Japan would have to deal with the rising sea levels based on their geography and I think it's safe to say that both could find a way to survive to that point given their industrial prowess.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Yes to Japan, no to Japan-Korea.

PAC cities already have Korean names, so unless North and South Korea are still split 200 years from now, it seems unlikely we would have two separate factions with Korean elements.

Not sure why some people are so adamant on Japan-Korea being a thing.

Not sure why some people are so adamant on Japan-Korea being a thing.

I think it mostly just stems from the fact that every other sponsor at least implies coverage of a range of countries instead of just one, so people look for something to lump in along with Japan to make everything match up and between Polystralia and the PAC there isn't much to go around in that area.

They could cast Japan as an isolationist nation in post mistake earth and have the fact that they are the only sponsor made up of a single country be something that makes them stand out, or they could just go the same route as American Reclamation Corporation and just have a theme that is not strictly tied down by national borders. It wouldn't be unreasonable for a Japanese company to have branches in nearby nations and possibly even in parts of the PAC (or former PAC, since Rising Tide seems to be advancing the timeline).

Are there any large maritime underwater companies in Japan? Do they have any strong traditions in archaeology?

a reunited Korea combined with Japan sponsor. I know that Korean-Japan EVER working together again completely ignores the last 100 hundred years
only the last hundred years? i think there is a scenario called Samurai invasion of KOREA, basically japan doesnt get along with china or Korea most of the time. but i fell like Japan and some pacific islands are possible,
or a Caribbean nation

Japan has always been known for it's isolative nature. So I'd say for one they would belong just by it's own, which would be pretty cool to be honest.

Out of curiosity, given that the Beyond Earth trailer showed flooded Pyramids, would Japan even exists? how high is it above the sea level? Would it get flooded given it seems like the ocean levels are risen after the Big Mistake?

Oh it's lowlands would definitely be flooded. Do you remember the earthquake and tsunami that took out the Fukushima reactor? The wave set very far inland.

With rising sea levels they would need to develop aquatic habitation or risk being wiped out. Same as with the rest of the world.

It wouldn't be unreasonable for a Japanese company to have branches in nearby nations and possibly even in parts of the PAC (or former PAC, since Rising Tide seems to be advancing the timeline).

I'm honestly a little puzzled by what we've seen so far. The narrative of these new factions is supposed to be that they're wild cards. They're the ones that are only looking out for themselves and bring their own brand of cynicism and survivalist agendas to the table, but so far the only one that really comes close to fitting that bill is Al Falafel.

Then we have the NSA that are working class and naval-oriented and INTEGR that are diplomatic and adaptive/evolving. I think I was expecting something a little more obstinate or extremist or weird, but I guess we'll see.

Out of curiosity, given that the Beyond Earth trailer showed flooded Pyramids, would Japan even exists? how high is it above the sea level? Would it get flooded given it seems like the ocean levels are risen after the Big Mistake?

And if Japan, with or without Korea, became a nation formed mainly by floating cities?

Japan does seem fairly likely. One of the new Wonders has a Japanese name. However, I would like to see a sponsor from a new not currently existent entity made completely aquatic on Earth's oceans, made up of dissident refugees from Earth's hegemony powers.

If all the ice melted, the sea would rise 60-80 meters. Enough to cover some of the world's largest cities and displace billions, but not enough to drown everyone. Here's Japan:

China is much worst:

And Europe:

So, yeah, i can see why NSA went amphibious, and China had a good reason to go the way of floating cities too; i've read an article that said that, right now, 500 million Chinese would be displaced by that much water. As for japan, well going naval fits them, but i wouldn't mind a central american sponsor, someone naval and militaristic to be a rival of Rejinaldo :p

I would consider Duncan Hughes to be aquatic militaristic. His cities have a stronger defense and they can move to attack other cities on the oceans and coasts.

Well i'd say that, since floating cities are supposed to be weaker, and Duncan cities are stronger than that (so ~normal strength), he's more of an aquatic-aquatic leader, since he loses all of his sponsor bonuses while colonizing land.

But yeah, both aquatic (NSA) and militaristic (brasilia) aspects are already covered. Since Al Falah is Projects, and Integr is political, what remaining aspects are there for the last sponsor to cover? industrial (PAC), cultural (FI), growth (AU), expansion (KP), orbital (SF), spy (ARC), trade (Poly) are all covered, so, Science? Something about expeditions? A quest-oriented sponsor (get extra quest choices on building quests etc)?

But yeah, both aquatic (NSA) and militaristic (brasilia) aspects are already covered. Since Al Falah is Projects, and Integr is political, what remaining aspects are there for the last sponsor to cover? industrial (PAC), cultural (FI), growth (AU), expansion (KP), orbital (SF), spy (ARC), trade (Poly) are all covered, so, Science? Something about expeditions? A quest-oriented sponsor (get extra quest choices on building quests etc)?

Given the new content of Rising Tide, I'm inclined to believe the 4th sponsor will have an expedition/artifact focus.

Japan has always been known for it's isolative nature. So I'd say for one they would belong just by it's own, which would be pretty cool to be honest.

they would, which is why them or the caribbean are the other perfect aquatic sponsor

floating cities are supposed to be weaker, and Duncan cities are stronger than that (so ~normal strength)
are you sure they are weaker? i thought they were more vulnerable being on the water because[navel units are faster and sometimes stronger and since terrain doesnt get in the way there is no shield to stop a Fleet from surprise attacking] thats what i thought but you might be right

The way they said on the first videos gave me the impression that sea cities are indeed weaker. Something about, "we can get a lot done on the water, but we can also lose everything very fast", i can't remember the exactly quote.

Today featurette video shows a bunch of size 1 land cities (strength ~20), a size 5 land city (strength 27); also some sea cities (size 4/strength 14, and size 19/strength 27). Well i don't know what buildings are in each city, and that was definitely only a promo video with fog-of-war off, but that's my evidence :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom