The latest african AIDS conspiracy....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Che Guava, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Eran of Arcadia

Eran of Arcadia Stormin' Mormon Retired Moderator

The Sunshine and Lettuce Capital of the World
    Like I said, you seem to be missing my point. Abstinence is the most effective way to avoid HIV. Just because many people are unwilling to do something doesn't mean it is not effective at what it is used for. The fact that most people (at least in the US) dislike public transportation doesn't mean that it isn't an effective way to reduce pollution and traffic congestion.

2. ParadigmShifter

ParadigmShifter Random Nonsense Generator

They should give out sex prescriptions then, but they'd have to put "keep out of reach of children" on the bottle.

3. BaneBlade

BaneBlade Prince

I had similar thoughts. I'm all for historical responsibility and mutual help, but i think it is really, really hard not to see that Africas problems today are largely housemade.

4. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

Anyway, what wise words could be expected from a "celebration to mark 43 years of independence" of a country that has been independent for 32 years?

African elites continue committed to their war against reality... :rolleyes:

5. Taliesin

Taliesin Puttin' on the Ritz

I think this is more likely to be cynical strategising than earnest foolishness.

6. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

I hope it is just foolishness. And I've seen people who actually believe in even more absurd theories, so it is not impossible.

7. Stapel

Stapel FIAT 850 coupé

:lol:

Ah, that line really gave me a big laugh! I almost choked in it.

8. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Depends on how you define 'effective'. It's not going to convince many people, since sex is so natural and it's what our bodies were 'built' for. We just NEED to have sex.

It's effective if you manage to abstain, sure, but as an effective HIV prevention mechanism on a large scale, it fails miserably.

9. ParadigmShifter

ParadigmShifter Random Nonsense Generator

If everyone abstained from sex completely the AIDS problem would go away for good within 100 years or so.

10. Elta

Elta 我不会把这种

:confused: :confused: :crazyeye: :crazyeye: :scan: :scan: :D :D :eek: :eek: :king: :king:

11. Eran of Arcadia

Right, actual abstinence works. In fact, it works absolutely, and if everyone really did it AIDS would not be a problem. Like I said, applying it to other people has its limits, which is why I said we need to take several approaches. But there is no way you can say that actual abstinence (as opposed to, 'telling someone else to use abstinence") isn't effective.

12. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I just don't think it makes sense to look at it on that level - you've got to see whether it will work in practice, with large groups of people, before you can call it effective.

13. Eran of Arcadia

Well, it is effective because it works. The fact that people aren't using it does not mean it doesn't work.

And I am not by any means saying that this is the only way we should look at the problem. Of course, education and access to prophylactics are going to do the most good at a large scale. But on a personal scale, if an individual wants to really avoid getting HIV, abstinence is a better way to do it than anything else.

14. Damnyankee

Damnyankee Honest Abe

How you get all the HIV onto the condums. What, would you have a sperm cannon spraying them, lol.

15. amadeus

amadeus ▲ Quiddity Crunch ▲

I think I know who South Africa's next health minister is going to be!

16. Damnyankee

Damnyankee Honest Abe

Robert Mugabe:lol:

17. Godwynn

Godwynn March to the Sea

I also think HIV cannot survive outside of the body. Making this conspiracy, effectively Busted.

18. mrt144

mrt144 Deity

you have to think about this from an african's perspective. white people have not done a lot of good for you, historically and here comes whitey again, telling you what to do, about your health. given the history why should you trust whitey?

also when you dont have the educational facilities to encourage individual thought, then you're doubly screwed.

19. Damnyankee

Damnyankee Honest Abe

Oh, I totally agree. I will wager to say that the only thing the west has done for Africa is screw them over again, and again. And the few good things done are because of a Politically Correct Version of the White Man's burden.

20. mrt144

mrt144 Deity

And really 20-30 years of the west not explicitly exploiting africa doesnt make up for the last 500 years. I think Howard Bryant hit the nail on the head (in terms of race relations in the US. it does have some applicability to africa US though.)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=bryant_howard&id=3035358

it's a really good read.

also I think part of the problem is that while we have issues domestic, we actually believe that we are more generous than we really are. We think that we give a lot to africa, and while in absolute terms relative to our individual net worth we do, as a % of our total economy we don't. That is all well and fine unless you use the argument that we already give so much as a reason not to give more.

On the large scale, I think most western nations, and western people look at africa as a necessary nuisance. It doesnt really provide anything besides raw materials to the west. It doesnt have developed enough economies to provide manufactured goods or low-cost services to compete on the world scale. sure, we cry out about the humanitarian problems of africa but how do they really affect us on a day to day basis?