The leader most difficult to negotiate with?

Who is the most difficult leader to negotiate with?

• Montezuma

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • Alexander

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • Tokugawa

Votes: 87 52.4%
  • Genghis Khan

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Kublai Khan

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Louis XIV

• Napoleon

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Julius Caesar

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Catherine

• Peter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Isabella

Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Cyrus

• Huayna Capac

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • Victoria

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Elizabeth

• Frederick

• Bismarck

• Mao Zedong

• Qin Shi Huang

• Mansa Musa

• Total voters

Falken65

Chieftain
I'm finding that one of the leaders less open to changing their attitude to your civilization by bribery (technology gifts for me, although some others may use money) and giving in to their demands (canceling deals with another civilization) is Tokugawa. It seems that no matter whether he is near or on the other side of the continent, he is the only leader to refuse open borders from the beginning while in a "cautious" mood.

So, any other AI civ leaders that have their own peculiarities that make them difficult to negotiate with? Post away :goodjob:

Note:poll taking only allows 20 options (there are 26 leaders in game) so I'm going to have to use my judgment to cut leaders that I think that are not that difficult to deal with

all of them, even if I try to leave them with their last city they still think that giving up an advanced tech is too much for them..

I voted for Tokugawa, because I've never gotten crap from him. However, Isabella can be extremely annoying if you have a different religion from her. She'll crusade against you eternally (to her own ruination, usually) and theres nothing you can do about it without switching to her religion.

Tokugawa because he's a total isolationist. Then Isabella, since I usually have a different religion. Also Saladin and Alexander can be very annoying.

I had to vote for Huayna Capac. Every game I've played with him, we usually get along quite well for a while, but then he starts to get greedy. He starts holding back on me, and starts demanding things for free. If I go along with him and give in to his demands, he starts to get more powerful than me. If I don't give in, relations suffer and war erupts.

So I say Huayna Capac.

Toku by far for me. If you can be of the same religion he might become more accomoding, but that needs open borders and he won't accept it.

I've got to go with Tokugawa also. His idea of negotiating is for you to show up, leave your best tech on his doorstep and go home. :rolleyes:

Tokugawa of course, since he's programmed that way. He's an isolationist SOB because he's supposed to be an isolationist SOB! Supposedly Japan was like that in his time period so it makes sense.

You forgot one option: me! :p

Tokugawa is just an isolationist ****, leave him sulking in his little corner.

I did get open borders from Toku once, he was my best friend for a game, so i would have to say Monty. You just know that no matter what deals you make there will be war soon.

alexander!!!

Twice he has been 'friendly' and then launched a sneak attack on me.

At least isabella lets me know she hates me for being a heathan ;p

Tokugawa all the way. He's a total jerk, and always hates me. Except when I spread my religion to him, and he adopted it. That wasn't so bad.

Yeah, historically, when the Tokugawa shogunate ruled Japan it was entirely closed to basically all foreigners. The only exception was a tiny man-made island in Tokyo called Dejima where Dutch traders were allowed. Most of this was due to the influence of Christian missionaries; once the leaders got wind that this was the precursor to conquest (missionaries always preceded the Western expansionism) they started slaughtering Christians and closed the borders. Probably not the best idea in terms of future economic growth, but many of the uniquely Japanese cultural institutions we see today were a product of this time period.

Isabella for me. I can usually work with Toku, but not always. Isabella remains at best cautious, usually annoyed. Last game I gave her techs, since she was so far behind, traded several resources for resource, and gave her four resources annually for centuries, and she never got over being just cautious.

Jotakami said:
Yeah, historically, when the Tokugawa shogunate ruled Japan it was entirely closed to basically all foreigners. The only exception was a tiny man-made island in Tokyo called Dejima where Dutch traders were allowed. Most of this was due to the influence of Christian missionaries; once the leaders got wind that this was the precursor to conquest (missionaries always preceded the Western expansionism) they started slaughtering Christians and closed the borders. Probably not the best idea in terms of future economic growth, but many of the uniquely Japanese cultural institutions we see today were a product of this time period.

I figured the "closed door policy" also has to do with this in addition to what you stated... (regarding Perry and Japan)
http://www.history.navy.mil/branches/teach/ends/opening.htm

Genghis Khan seems to be always against me.

Top Bottom