1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

The "Let's Figure Out Sicily" thread

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: Europe' started by TheMulattoMaker, May 19, 2017.

1. DC123456789

DC123456789 Chieftain

The Crusades kind of are? Still quite different though, I'll agree. It looks like AbsintheRed is favourable towards some sort of scripted event to give Sicily to Aragon anyway though, since we all know it's never going to happen naturally.

2. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Well, that's an option. Not yet sure what will be added for it when we get there, I only wanted to point out that there are many possibilities.
    Btw adding a conqueror event is actually easier to code.

3. cmakk1012

cmakk1012 Chieftain

Conqueror events are neat because there's a chance you can defeat them as the defender as opposed to a predetermined loss. How much fun would SoI be if the Mongols just flipped Persia? Not very

DC123456789 likes this.
  4. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

I did, dont like it, meh

5. cmakk1012

cmakk1012 Chieftain

SoI is fascinating to me in examining a historical period that's really overlooked in the West along with its depth and strategy. I'd give it props for plausibility too but I just won an Armenia domination victory so I'm not so sure about that part ;)

gilgames and QManNL like this.
  6. The Turk

The Turk Chieftain

I'm not sure how you are comparing a civilization with a UHV. Further in 1060 the Normans were little more than mercenaries, so its not as if they can't be portrayed as mercenaries or barbarians in game.

It would look like Sicily without the 2 Rogers. What would "Normandy" be without the Rollo and his successors? The territory is literally named after them, and yet we don't depict the Duchy of Normandy, even when it was nominally independent within the Kingdom of France.

Needless to say, this does not need to clash with my stated aims. If you want to portray the Normans, have them spawn in Apulia, and have them try to conquer the rest of Southern Italy, including Sicily. They shouldn't simply flip the entire territory. Sicily should remain up for grabs by a variety of actors.

The Normans, who you claim you want to represent, didn't begin in Sicily, they began in Apulia (as mercenary barbarians - as their neighbours considered them).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_of_Apulia_and_Calabria

They were counts, and then became Dukes. Something you might want to explore in the future is a "title" system, where you can "upgrade" your title. You can use the base of it from SoI, to be able to claim the "Kingdom/County/Duchy etc. of X", based on territory held, which would give you certain bonuses (and even perhaps some malus').

7. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Ehh, this is getting annoying... I already told you like 5 times that the Norman Kingdom of Sicily does not equal the Sicily civ, it's only part of it.
    Thus I'm comparing the first UHV (or maybe first 2 UHVs, not yet sure) of the Sicily civ to the first UHV of the Arab civ.

I would even argue that representing the period up to the Sicilian Vespers in 1282 is even more imporant for the Sicily civ than representing the Umayyad conquests for the Arab civ. (from a gameplay point of view)
    There is not that much to portray after 1282 for Sicily, you want to take out the most interesting part.
    What are you talking about? How can you consider this a valid example, or relevant in any ways? :dunno:
    Sicily is planned as a full civ. Normandy is not.
    If we would have a Normandy civ, it would surely start with Rollo and the Duchy of Normandy.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  8. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Sure, but in my example I only meant that mechanics for an AI controlled Sicily.
    Whatever will be chosen for this in the end, I definitely don't want to make it a predetermined loss for the player

9. cmakk1012

cmakk1012 Chieftain

Oh, for AI Sicily a flip is perfectly fine. That's a historical change that needs to be modeled IMO

10. cmakk1012

cmakk1012 Chieftain

Just to bring this subforum back to life, and on a topic relevant to 1.6, I'm curious what the stability map for Sicily would be. Core of Calabria and Apulia, Sicily itself either Core or Historical, mayyybe Historical on Arberia as well? Otherwise Contested on Ifriqiya, Arberia, Epirus, Morea, Malta. Given Charles II tried to march on Constantinople (but failed), should areas farther East like Thessaly, Macedonia, Thrace, and Constantinople be Contested also?