1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

The light's green - GO!!!!!

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by ShakaKhan, May 17, 2018.

1. ShakaKhan

ShakaKhan Chieftain

Found a great city location. It's behind my empire, meaning that I've cut off a corner of the map, building my empire there, and this location is behind my conglomerate of cities, and I'm not trading/selling my open borders to anyone. However, there's an (Arabian) warrior, who apparently was initially sent to scout, standing on that specific tile, and turn after turn, he doesn't move. I finally realized, "aha, he's not moving because he can't make it back to his empire because of the lack of OB- so I gift them OB, wait for a turn, and then another, and he still doesn't move. Aside from DoWing and destroying the unit, is there any way to make this unit move off the tile.

It may factor in that the unit is of a nearly eliminated civilization- Arabia had the misfortune of starting near Sumeria who took all but one of his cities, including his capital. Come to think of it, that may be the problem: Arabia's one city "empire" is completely surrounded by tiles that are now owned by Sumeria. So again, is there any way to make the unit move?

2. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Whispering Walrus

The only other way I can think of to force a unit off a tile is having your borders expand to that tile while not having open borders with that civ. It's not much use in your situation though since you want to found a city there, but that's all I got

3. UWHabs

UWHabs Warlord

I've used the strategy to block an AI settler in the past. Park units strategically so they can't move, as I rush my settler to the location.

But yeah, if he's down to 1 city, then it's probably a smart move to get a couple units there and declare on him. If you're still early enough, the warmonger hit for a basic war declaration shouldn't be too much, and you won't capture any cities. Heck, you might even be able to get some gold out of the peace deal too.

4. ShakaKhan

ShakaKhan Chieftain

Just hit industrial era, so probably not worth the war weariness, and with his one city remaining that isn't the cap, I don't think there'd be much gold. Also need to keep my units where they are- Sumeria is now parking war carts and archers on my borders- shouldn't be an issue, they'd be met with crossbows, knights (well, one at least) and muskets, so they're outclassed, but still need to guard. At this point, I think I'll just settle one tile off, which is not optimal but gets most of the stuff. Despite concluding this particular event, I'd still be interested in thoughts on how to move the unit for when it comes up again.

5. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

kill it is the best way. Sometimes they will move on their own after 20 or 30 turns. I had one allied unit on one of my tiles for a long time and I couldn't improve that tile. But I checked back in another 30 turns and he finally went away (though that's not including the time he first got there which I am unsure of).

6. heinous_hat

heinous_hat Chieftain

I often wonder whether the designer(s) see tile squatting as a valid tactic, or simply as an unfortunate consequence of the strict 1upt rules that they're unwilling to bend for units belonging to different players. To allow rival units to stack when at peace requires special handling when war is declared, but isn't difficult to achieve... it's been solved in several mods for civ5. Just as well, it solves other snafus related to traffic jams and pathfinding. So i can only assume that they see this as desirable.

My question is... why? Tile squatting has to be one of the most degenerate game practices I can imagine.

7. ChocolateShake

ChocolateShake Chieftain

Yup this has to be one of the most annoying ways to generate conflict, right up there with the AI sometimes settling its second city right next to your capital... I can't imagine that's by accident. I do sometimes park my units when I'm too lazy to continue moving them or when I fortify then forget them for a while, but then again I'm human :D

I guess it could be that they don't have a valid goal for that unit, so they just keep them where they are, but they've parked way too often on important resources for me to think it's unintentional.

8. gozpel

gozpel Couch-potato (fortified)

I would wait max 3 turns, if he doesn't move I would take him out. I had this in many games, esp. with religious units, they are not throwing their faith at me, just blocking my missionaries to move.

Kill that warrior and get that city down, you can make peace in 10 turns and no warmongering penalty.

To get that amazing city as you said down earlier, the better.

9. UWHabs

UWHabs Warlord

I think it's an unfortunate consequence. The issue is not related to when the 2 parties declare war on each other, but what happens if you had 2 units on a tile and someone else was at war with one or both of them. So, say you move one of your warriors on the same tile as someone else's warrior. How does it work if someone is at war with both of us? Do they have to kill both units?

I actually ran into this "bug" in my last game, where a Chinese city revolted to a free city, but they didn't kick out the great general sitting in the city. I could bombard it, but I couldn't attack with a melee unit with the "friendly" general sitting on the tile. Thankfully they moved them within a couple turns.

I think it's just the sort of thing that they'd rather not have to code in all the weird special cases, and worry about "kicking out" units from friendly tiles if you declare war, so they simply disable it entirely. I'd guess it's the standard "let's just disable it entirely instead of trying to sort through all the what-ifs of it".

tzu likes this.