The list of easy fixable/moddable problems (not about gameplay)

bumpyglint

Chieftain
I'd like to make a list of easy fixable problems, hoping that modders (or developers, if they read this) could fix these little things! :) It's NOT about gameplay, these are just HUD problems, little bugs, comfort etc... If you want add something to the list!

1) Nothing tells you how many turns you need to get a new tile with culture and which tile it will be.
2) You can't counterspionage in an automatic way, you need to chose your spy again every few turns.
3) You can't chose a production sequence in your city like in all others Civ.
4) No replay map in the end :( (only graphs)
5) Nothing tells you how many religion pressure there's in every city and how this exactly works...
6) There is a production overflow bug if you pick the +X % production with military units and then chop woods...
7) There should me more clarification about the diplomatic relations with other Civ in the HUD, telling you how many total points you actually have.
8) Something should tell you how many resources you are actually exchanging with the others Civ (I haven't found this option yet)
9) Why there's no more Hall of Fame?

I will probably find other things later, add your own and tell me if you agree/don't agree with these fix! Hoping that some of you modders could help! :)

-Vast amounts of info on game mechanics is missing from anywhere in the game (like the civilopedia)...culture victory is the worst, but most the game is undocumented
-there is no indicator if a unit has been trained at a barracks / armory / military academy
-no lens for unimproved/pillaged tiles/resources in your territory
-minimap lens needed to find strategic + archaeological resources
-hills hard to see
-villages/barb camps hard to see in FOW

-Vast amounts of info on game mechanics is missing from anywhere in the game (like the civilopedia)...culture victory is the worst, but most the game is undocumented
-there is no indicator if a unit has been trained at a barracks / armory / military academy
-no lens for unimproved/pillaged tiles/resources in your territory
-minimap lens needed to find strategic + archaeological resources
-hills hard to see
-villages/barb camps hard to see in FOW
I agree with everything! Sometimes it seems developers didn't even played the game...
I posted an easy fix XML solution in this thread (about the terrain) but for some reason it was moved here as its own independent post: http://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/terrains-xml-mod.602969/
Probably is good but I don't want to talk about gameplay modifiers here! There should be too much to say

-having the ability to rename your civ
-having the ability to rename your cities (at least 20 characters please!)

Yes, it would be cool and not hard, expecially cause old Civ had that option!

And I would add
-Having again the restart option

Maybe I will add all these things to the first post.

Yes to the Hall of Fame! That is a really sad omission. I loved looking back at my Civ IV games and seeing how much I'd improved over time.

The whole amenities/housing system needs a visual overhaul. I should be able to tell at a glance which of my cities are having problems and by how much.

The great person page and the civics page are visually bland (why no unique portraits for each great person? Why no unique icons?). What's worse, they both involve lots of unnecessary scrolling! Get rid of that.

Hitting Fortify should no longer end a unit's turn. I should be able to change my mind about that.

The whole amenities/housing system needs a visual overhaul. I should be able to tell at a glance which of my cities are having problems and by how much.
Just curious what you mean by this. The city status screen, under the reports menu, does exactly this. Plus the icons on the city bar shows which cities are having housing/amenities/siege issues if you prefer something on the actual map.

I'll just talk about hotkeys and input in general. They are pretty easy to fix after all.
It's absolutely horrible right now compare to previous titles, and yes, even to the state of their release day.

- reunite the hotkey of "Sleep" and "Fotify", and preferably the "Wake Up" function too
- H key for "Heal". This bothered me so freaking much because I had to click that tiny botton a lot of times in just one turn when I'm in conflict
- reunite the hotkeys for all ranged attack, regradless of the unit's actual strength type (ranged, bombard, etc)
- fix the damn UI click through! It's happened on so many UI elements and prompts already
If you don't know what I mean, just select a unit, and right click on their strength tab on the bottom right corner.
Instead of the UI block your input because that action is usually a misclick, the unit will go to the hex behind the tab.
A lot of prompts also had the same issue too.
- add more hotkeys in general, like city detail, cycle through cities when city tab is open, pillage, upgrade unit, repair improvements, etc
- and revamp the hotkey layout too. The fact that Great People and Great Work get a hotkey yet so many unit functions are missing is just saddening

I'm not gonna even talk too much about the ridiculous Civilopedia design.
Like why the gigantic icon to force you to scroll so you can view their gameplay stats?
Or the fact that the above issue can be greatly relieved if only the Civilopedia doesn't only has 60% of the height of your screen.
And the list goes on about all the mistakes in the UI, but I don't want to turn this into a rant so I'll just stop here.

Unlike previous titles when they first came out, where my arguement is mainly focused on "Not sure why they made this change", Civ6 also had the problem of constant interruption of smooth game flow because of UI failure.
It just feels like a chore to manage your empire and command your troops, which rarely happens before. I personally liked Civ5 at release state a lot because the UI and input felt more smooth then Civ4 BTS.

That being said, there is no doubt that Civ6 is a pretty good game, even the best in the series on innovation and feature-intergration wise at relase day.
True, I'm not very optimistic about how Civ6 will improve on those innovations. But I recognize and am grateful to Firaxis' effort put into these changes.
Guess we'll just have to wait and see right now.

Last edited:
- Unite the damn city screen, there's no reason to have 4 (?) different tabs you need click (city info, buy tiles, worked tiles and production / buy) and rearrange it a bit so it won't look like crap when everything is open
- There doesn't seem to be a way to unselect a tile. You can lock a tile or choose another one, but you can't just unselect certain tile (minor problem)
- The UI element on the right bottom (cities, units etc.) needs to be wider. Information is badly arranged. Example: you may rename your units, but only a few characters will be displayed, randomly generated names that the game provides won't even be properly displayed, instead something like "The Salty Ass..."
- There needs to be a proper units list / tab, where you can see all your units by categories

1. In Strategic View, shift the citizen management buttons upwards like how its done in normal view, so that they don't cover the yield icons.
  2. In both views, shift the Map Pins downwards towards the bottom of the hex, so that they also don't cover the yield icons.

#2 also has the benefit that now the map pins won't overlap completely with unit flags.

Other little things:
  • Tie the City Details screen to the city panel. When the city panel shows, the City Detail shows, and hide it when the City Panel isn't showing. Then a key binding to toggle between the three tabs of the City Details.
  • Move the (or add another) Close button of the build chooser closer to the City Panel, just above the Citizen Management / Buy with Gold / Buy with Faith buttons, kind of like a tab that sticks out on the left hand side of the build chooser. This way all the buttons that open/close screens related to a City will be closer to the City Panel.
  • At the city-state screen, show the second-leading envoy count as well. So say I'm the Suzerain with 7 Envoys, it will also show me that someone else has 6. So that the moment I enter the city-state Envoy assignment chooser window I know exactly which city-state I need to sent my Envoys to solidify my hold on the city state.

I hope they will fix these things, is there any possibility devs will see this thread in your opinion? Because a single patch could fix all of these problems!!

Please put back numpad movement and more hot keys like "h" for healing "i" for farm etc... :(

Firaxis:

In addition to strongly agreeing with most of the above - especially the lack of numpad movement and the totally inadequate key bindings menu, let me just add the gaping holes in the Civilopedia. 'Promotion Class,' for example, and a lot of other non-primary definitions cannot be searched because they don't exist. In the promotion class example, I had to accidentally discover that discovering a Tribal Village or Natural Wonder gives XP, because I couldn't find it in the Civilopedia.

... Just my thoughts.

Thank You.

Last edited:
Fix the following:

- When using technologies as prerequisites for tile improvements, please stop them from crashing the game

- When making mountains workable, please allow them to actually be worked, I mean if I can build a city on them or have a resource on them, I should be able to build a mine on them.

- Similarly, for modifiers that are supposed to modify the yield output of a mountain, they should actually function, instead fo doing nothing.

Top Bottom