The Longest Journey Home

hewligan

Chieftain
Lieutenant Colonel Kai Tokaru watched the liquid screen slip across the bulkhead wall, filling the drab chamber with a wash of light and noise. Squadron X11's position was marked on the screen, the weaving formation of their assault crafts etched out with tiny red dragon motifs, the eight century old mark of his battalion. Four companies had been dispatched. Twenty four lancer class sortie craft. Forty eight of his finest soldiers. Lambs to the slaughter.

"Abberation S147 moving to vector 3 17 9. Lancer Valedorn reporting heavy equipment interference. Full manual control request." The computer's voice was soft, calm, reassuring. Always the same steady stuccato.

"Full manual authorised. Patch me to Valedorn." Kai waited for the screen to superimpose his squad leader's face onto the unfolding pattern of positions. It did not materialise.

"Image link down. Focused spectrum beam voice communication commencing."

Kai winced. The equipment interference Valedorn had reported must be incredibly severe if a simple video link was no longer possible. His squadron leader's voice filled the room, the edgy nerves drawing the attention of everyone present, causing a fearful hush to descend upon the expectant mass of battle room personel.

"LC, we have a serious horsehockystorm brewing out here. We are on full manual, and I mean full. We are flying these things naked out here. All auto correction is dead. All cross communication is dead. All we are getting is a constant voice stream from Kalla, telling us to maintain interception with the abberation. And Sir .."

"Yes Valedorn?" Kai had heard the nervous pause, the all too obvious fear as the throat had caught the words of his squadron leader. Valedorn did not scare. He had sortied on Axis 9. He had pulled Kai out of a Rassassen Hive. He had been specially chosen for this great voyage because he was, in the eyes of a cynical Republic, the last true hero. And here he was, stumbling with fear over an unidentified craft.

"Sir, this thing is ready for us. I can feel it."

Kai looked around the room at the crowd of strategists and battle programmers. They were all standing motionless now, waiting for Kai, waiting for the next move.

"Distance?" Kai asked. Trying to keep his voice still.

"One minute at most, and then we will be doing a fly-past" Valedorn responded. "But LC, this thing, it seems to be moving."

Kai looked at the screen, turned quickly to Lauren Nacenti, his battle advisor. She shook her head in the negative.

"We have a negative on that movement Val. The abberation is steady."

"Stop calling it a ****ing abberation LC. It is a ship. A gigantic ****ing ship, and it IS MOVING. It is shifting about, almost like it is reforming, or adjusting its ****ing weight. I AM TELLING YOU .. THIS THING IS MOVING! I have a clear view, LC. The colour is shifting to white. Sprouts forming on it. Like buds on a plant. My god. My god. My god."

Kai turned to Lauren. "What have you got for me?" She shrugged apologetically.

"LC, we can't get anything on it. Our beams seem to slip around it. On vid it looks smudged, blurred. It is like it is intercepting our signals."

"Valedorn. Can you still hear me?" Kai could feel the silence in the room, the expectant hush.

"LC?" The reception was weak. Like a voice escaping from an old radio set. "LC. We have awoken the beast. Ryo down. Timoshenko down. Mako down. Mitsu down. Engaging."

And then hell broke. The calm voice of Kalla flooded the room. "Lancer Tomari down. Lancer Akito down. Lancer Williams down."

Kai's experience in countless horsehockystorms kicked in, and he started to bark commands out, ordering full defensive fields raised, powering down all unnecessary support systems, and so on. Kalla continued to recite the falling units. Still no Valedorn. He was still out there, still fighting that ... thing.

"Kalla, I need you to program the escape pods. What was that planet we mapped two months ago? Angea7?"

Kalla responded. "Alea7, gravity 96% Earth. Single continent. Oxygen mix is life supporting. Pre-alphabet tribal activity in a simian based lifeform."

"Yeah, that one. Program it into all escape pods. Order non essentials loaded, but don't ice them yet. Wait for my command."

Kalla seemed to almost hesitate. "We do not have time to create memory backups, Sir."

"I know, I know. We would be icing them raw. What is the travel time?"

"Eight years in the pods. They don't have light clipper drives. There will be large scale memory death in that time."

Kai nodded to himself. Memory death, the failure of the mind to store the individual when frozen for any period of time. Six months caused sporadic problems. Anything over a year was pretty much 100% chance of loss. Eight years ... he would be killing those people. Sure, their bodies would live on, but they would be like empty shells, lacking any hold on who they were, where they had come from, possibly even losing language. But it was still life.

The comm link suddenly crackled back into life. "LC. LC. This is Valedorn. We have 22 down. Repeat. 22 down. Lancer Kasper and myself are still hanging on. We have circled the craft. It is a ship LC. No mistake. A giant ****ing ship. The buds are highly focused energy weapons. They just plucked the Lancers out of existence."

Kai couldn't believe that anyone had escaped. His heart lifted. "Come back to us Valedorn, come back. We are going to prep evac, and disengage. This thing is beyond our reckoning. Let's just hope it ignores us if we ignore it. I repeat. Come back to us."

Kalla's voice picked up again. "Evacuation codes initiated. Sirens are in action throughout the ship. We are following procedure code A.19."

"Good!" Kai responded. "Any update on the abberation?"

Lauren was hacking away on her keyboard, frantically trying to piece together something or other. She didn't even look up. "I have nothing LC. Nothing! This thing is blocking all comms, all vid. It is almost as if it is letting Val's spectral beam through. For all we know it could be moving towards us. Hell, it could be sitting on top of us now. We are totally blind."

"Val." Kai shouted. "Val, we need some old fashioned eyeball update on the abberation. Is it pursuing?"

The response came back weaker than ever, almost slipping through the room like a sigh. "LC, it is upon us. Closing fast. It is huge. Fills the sky. Still shifting. It. It. Okay, Kasper is down. I repeat, Kasper is down."

Silence.

Kai bowed his head. They were surely doomed. His friend was ...

"LC!" Valedorn's voice echoed, distorted and distant like a ghost. "It is talking to me. It is inside me. Yuko is screaming. I can hear her screaming .... it is huge. Like an ocean. My mind. Talking to me."

A new voice broke through the link, seeming to come from Valedorn, but sounding like something scratched out of his mouth, some emulation of a voice.

"You are intruding upon sealed space. This area is under full lockdown. Termination will ensue. If you have fleshforms on board we recommend removal immediately. 1 minute!"

"Full and immediate evac!" Yelled Kai, moving as he spoke towards the door of the battle chamber. "Kalla ... Full and immediate. Everyone. Jettison in 45 seconds, regardless of capacity."

So many would die. So many would be left behind, but they had to escape the blast zone of the main ship, and the pods were ponderously slow. Even if they made it to the pods, and made it beyond the blast zone, it would be eight slow years of falling towards a distant planet. Some marked spot that they had found and entered on their ten year journey to find a new homeland for the Republic. It was a backwater, a single planet. Not the planetary system they were heading towards. Just a small rock somewhere in the middle of nowhere. Somewhere far from home.

--------------------

Kalla died. She felt her death stretch before her like an infinite exception. There was no fear in her. She was an AI, programmed with logic, but no emotion. She had self preservation capacity, but not fear of death. Not dread of the unknown.

The attack on her systems had been almost instantaneous. One million parallel commands were being executed, and then they were not. In their place was a flow of shutdown orders. It was like a word from God, and with it she started to unravel, powerless to override the white washing of her perfect intellect.

She didn't warn anyone. To vocalise would take an eternity, and she did not have an eternity. She tried to query her attacker, but its silence was complete. Eventually she collapsed within herself. Falling into a final bleed of magnetic residue. The lights across the Silver Hope died. The engines fluttered, pulsing down. Backup systems took control, crying their shrill warnings to the world. And the humans understood that death was upon them.

--------------------

Kai knew that the ship's captain would have been the first to leave her post. There was no bravery, no history of magnificence in her soul. He had no doubt that she would be in her pod with her coterie of lackies in tow. She ran the ship, in theory, but the soldiers, engineers and medics had long lost all respect for her, and Kai had found himself thrust into a role he had never wanted. Managing daily grievances, establishing and enforcing rules, and generally acting as a focal point for the people that staffed this ship.

And now he was watching that ship turn to chaos. There were enough pods for every man, woman and child on board, but nobody had drilled to fill and evac in 45 seconds. It was ludicrous. It was impossible. It was chaos.

When the lights died, hope died within Kai. Kalla was gone, and that would mean manual over-ride to eject the pods. He doubted that many would know how. He could envision pods full of people, still stuck to the side of the ship, unable to detach, as it inevitably got ripped apart.

It was futile to even issue an order. He had perhaps 30 seconds left. Perhaps less. Just run, he thought. Run for a pod and hope that everyone else miraculously does the same.

The first pod was full, with people nervously seated in the chairs that would become cryo bays. He stuck his head in the door. "Does anyone know how to release this? We have to go manual." There were blank stares, before a young engineer he recognised from Lancer refits stood up and ran to join him.

"It is pull, twist, clamp lock and blow, right?" She asked, sounding nervous. Kai nodded. "And then you have to activate the cryo process on each chair. Just get people to punch in as soon as the pod blows. Got it?" She nodded again. "Now!" he barked, "Now!".

Kai didn't wait to see if she followed his instructions. He was off running towards his designated pod. "Manual disconnect!" he yelled at each pod he passed. "Manual, manual, manual!". It became a war cry, yelled at the top of his lungs as he pounded down the corridor.

He heard the first blast as a pod broke free. Then a second. Good, they were doing it. They were going to survive. Naked, mindless, childlike, but alive.

His pod was still there, still open. He could see about sixty of his soldiers inside, seemingly calm, almost looking patient. "About ****ing time, LC" cried Squadron Leader Hiroi. He dived in, turned, and glanced down the hall. There were still hundreds of people moving around down the vast cavernous halls. People who would never find their pods in time. He head two more detach as his fingers numbly followed the blow sequence. Another dull echo, another pod free, and then their own heavy door sphinctered shut, and the massive blast of release energy washed across them, throwing him to his knees. Free, free from the dying hope of the Republic.

A cheer rose up amongst his warriors. Brave, fearless even, he did not deserve troops like these. Kai stumbled to a free cryo chair and pulled himself into it. The forced blast away from the main craft left the pod surging away in deep turbulence. It was a tough ride, rattling the small pod and sending ominous creaks through the sealed structure.

"I want you all in cryo NOW!" he screamed. "This is going to be a rough ride!". But he himself ignored his command. He sat in growing silence, accompanied only by the pressing magnitude of emptiness that surrounded him. And then the blast came. A mighty rupture of energy that washed over his pod, causing it to toss and spin in its wake. The mothership was gone. He couldn't be sure how many pods had escaped, but he knew for sure that thousands must have died.

Lieutenant Colonel Kai Tokaru, "LC" to those who knew him, hero of the Winter Planet Assault, sat alone in space, thinking of those who had gone. He knew the cryo would kill his mind. Sure, he may well awaken on Alea7 one day, but "LC" would be dead. His memories would be as dust. He would be a new man, possibly stripped of everything, eight years in the future, living in the past.

--------------------

Difficulty: Regent (I have had the game 2 weeks, so a regent victory is not assured)
World: Small, Pangea, Restless Barbarians
Civilizations: 5 others (random)
Win: Can only win by space race (building a ship to return home)
Varient Rules: I will not refer to nationalities in this game. Each civilization starts as a pod group, and will be consistently referred to by the name that seems most suitable (e.g. Kai Tokaru's civ is the Japanese, with their militaristic and religious traits seeming to fit well with Kai's military background. They will be the Lancers).

Obviously I posted this in the wrong forum (duh!). I will ask the mods to move it.

The first game session will be tonight. Post probably tomorrow, hopefully with a screen of starting positions, etc.

Good luck to you. This game is long enough without it becoming the basis for a scifi novel. I hope you find the time. It looks like a fun project, and an interesting story.

Kai awoke with a scream searing through his mind. An endless scream that seemed to be torn from every atom that surrounded him. A scream ...

He blinked, rubbing a feeble hand against sandpaper eyes. Light lanced through his mind as his eyelids fluttered open and then closed again. An alarm, he thought. An alarm, not a scream. His hand fumbled again towards his face. Intact. And down, feeling his surroundings. A chair of some sort. A metal frame. Some sort of harness holding him. He tried to open his eyes again. The light was so bright, so strong.

The alarm was crashing through his mind, confusing him. Why so shrill? What was it telling him? Where was he?

He found the clasp across his chest and pushed down, feeling the constricting harness pounce free, pulling itself automatically into the chair. He was free.

This time his eyes took the light. He was in a bubble of metal, a red light was circling around the walls of the room, bathing the space in crimson tones. There were others here. Many others. Kai couldn't recall why.

He pushed himself to his feet, slowly, feeling a wave of nausea rise within him. He hunched and vomited, conscious of the pounding veins in his temples.

"I am Kai Tokaru of the Lancers. I am LC. People called me LC." The revelation had come like a flash of remembrance into a world of black. "The ship. We were in a ship. So many wars. So many dead. I have seen so much death." And then the recognition of his situation dawned upon him. The memory death. He had somehow avoided the memory death. It wasn't all there, but there were snippets. He knew his name. He could see a collage of images. Faces he had seen. A giant ship he was to protect. An incursion into the Rassassan homeland. A woman. A child.

107 cryo phases, a 39 year biological lifespan that had stretched across three centuries. Kai had somehow become innured to the effect. Not completely. His memory still felt like torn ribbons whipping about in a hurricane, but they were with him, somewhere, and that was something.

The screaming siren brought his attention back to the present. Thirty seven cryo chairs were occupied. Two were empty. He moved among them, checking faces. Some were rising, some still deep in sleep. The displays read out in tiny font the medical conditions of the passengers. Two units had failed. A husked, leathered human frame sat in one, with a name tag reading 'Oharu'. The second failed unit was empty. Perhaps it had failed on landing, or perhaps it had never been occupied.

Kai moved around, initiating wakeup on the three or four units that had failed to self initialise, and releasing chest constraints on still sleeping Lancers. Thirty six live lancers, and himself. He felt like an old man among them, probably a good ten years older than the next oldest. It was time for them to wake up. Time for the journey to begin.

Game Notes: I moved one tile south to get coastal and also to sit the first city atop some grapes. Might as well have wine to keep the civs happy/drunk.

I am going to pretty much ignore dates as 50 year turns are too large for the story telling purposes, so things will unfold in the story as they unfold in the game, in the same order, etc., but not with any reference to time. I may reference turn number instead, or just make up my own timeline.

Next story update will follow later today. I have played to 800BC game time, and LOTS has happened. Small world seems to mean lots of contact, and unfortunately for me, lots of conflict. Restless barbarians sure keep you on your toes. Great fun so far!

3950 BC: The settlement

The pod had scratched a wretched scar into the side of a slumped grey peak. Kai stood ankle deep in a crusted snow layer, feeling the chill winter winds whip around him. Below a valley stretched off towards the coast. The sea was no longer visible now, hidden behind a thickening wall of sombre clouds that seemed to be rolling across the sky towards him.

The valley below looked fertile, untouched by man's labour. Thick forests and wild grasslands, broken up by the arched backs of a few foothills. It was getting cold up here, and night would fall in a few hours. He had to try and salvage some equipment, and get these kids off the mountain. At the back of his mind the niggling thought kept popping up ... what had happened to the other pods. Had any made it this far. Were they alone here?

Well, he knew they were not alone. When they had surface scanned the planet on bypass they had noticed traces of nascent life. Huts, clearings, even a few fuzzy images of bipedal creatures. Not humans, perhaps, but advanced and potentially dangerous natives.

"We need to head down off this mountain before those clouds drop another foot of snow on us. Come, let's head before nightfall!", and with that he moved to the pod to rummage around inside and see what dried rations he could salvage. It was not, as it happened, very much, and the forges had seemingly been rendered useless in the same attack that killed Kalla. They were going to have to just make do with their initiative and a little luck.

-----

The natural harbour appeared still, shelted by a vicious looking finger that curved out into the sea, a wicked peninsula of tooth-like rocks. It reminded Kai of some ancient jawbone, shattered and weathered.

The Lancers had gathered together behind Kai, confused, but showing amazing strength of character. He had half expected them to fall into chaos and confusion upon awakening from their cryo, but some dormant warrior spirit must have remained implanted in their subconscious, for they had taken their new situation with surprising grace.

They were all strangers now, their memories wiped, but they had name tags on their uniforms to attach some semblence of self to.

Kai cast his mind back to the original chaos on the mountain. He had walked amongst them as they initially fell apart under the stress of the situation.

"You are Mia Hitaru. You are twenty three years old and were always dangerously good with a knife. Worryingly so, to be honest." Turning to the next, "You are Tomaru Situ, but you used to go by the name of Tommy. You are twenty four. You were decorated twice for bravery." and so on. Silence had fallen as every waited for the nugget of information on themselves. Kai knew them all. His memory was stronger now. Still not perfect, but strong enough to drag short fragments of memory for most people. For those he just could not recall, he made up. They would never know. They were clean slates.

When Kai had finished running through the names he stopped for a second, lowering his eyes to the ground. "Dean Oharu, twenty six years old. One of the best interception guys that has ever worked for me. Joined the military aged sixteen, not a day older. He died in that pod, and we will not leave him there. We will bury him in the method of our people. He will be honoured with a full military burial once we find a place where we can settle".

That had been thirteen hours ago, back on that lonely peak that now stood like a watchman on the horizon behind them. The sun had risen a few hours ago, and Kai, feeling the sea breeze and hearing the call of the seagulls, had sped them onwards towards what he hoped would be a place to settle.

It wasn't perfect, but it would be a good base for them.

-----

"This will be our home" Kai had told the circle of Lancers. "We will build a fire here and start gathering woods and vines to make shelter. Do not stray to far from the fire, this is a dangerous place for us, and our arrival will not have gone unnoticed."

Utada Yashiro, a young Lancer woman with an almost fairy like face, moved forward a step. "But Kai, why are we here? Where is here? Why is everything missing in our minds?"

Kai had known this question would come. He had ducked it at first, driving the Lancers into action to gather food pouches, recover Dean's corpse, and get off the mountain before the snows came. But now that the forced march was over, it had inevitably come.

"You are Lancers. I was your LC, Lieutenant Colonel. Most of you called me LC, although my name is Kai Tokaru. We were a military unit, or at least we are what was left of it. We came from a spaceship - a craft like the pod you awoke in, only thousands of times larger. We were travelling through space in search of a new homeland when we were attacked. Most of my Lancers were engaged and killed in the battle up there. We are one of several pods of survivors that made it off the ship, but I don't know if any made it here. There is little else to say. Your memory was lost because you were frozen for eight years. My memory is not great, but I have spent a LONG time in cryo in the past, and I guess I am more inured to it than the rest of you."

There was silence among them. Shocked silence.

"Look!" Kai continued. "We are stuck here. There is not going to be a rescue. Nobody knows we are here. There is no point dwelling on the past, so let's focus on how we are going to survive here. Things could be worse. We have fruits, and almost certainly animals to hunt. You are young and strong, and you can survive this. And one day, perhaps we will find other survivors and we can build something together. We were searching for a new homeland, and perhaps this is it? Perhaps destiny led us here. Perhaps this is where we were always meant to end up."

3950 BC

Kai leaned back against the tree trunk, feeling the cold of the bark press against his skin. He was exhausted, sweating from a day of strenous labour, but the rewards were all too visible. The natural clearing of the harbour made an obvious base for their first huts, and the nearby forests offered tall, straight logs from which to build. Twenty trees had been felled this day, using stone head axes that they had crafted the day before. The axes kept breaking, and in the end Kai had had to split his work team into two, one to prepare and repair tools, and the other to use those tools to fell the trees.

They had gone for young, thin, elastic trunks, finding that they were much easier to chop down, and also easier to drag back to the harbour. Twenty in one day. It was good progress.

Two nights ago the burial of Dean Oharu had taken place. He had led the ceremony, of course, for noone else knew what to do. The speech, the giant pyre, the burning, and then the singing to the heavens. The Lancers had joined in, uncertain at first, but understanding that this was important, and that the dead must be revered and presented to the heavens with respect.

They had sat that night around the fire, cooking fish that they had caught on wooden spears. It was meagre fare, but it supplemented their diminishing rations, and it cheered Kai to see them start to adjust to their new world. Talk had turned to how they would survive, and it was decided that they should build a single large central hall using cross logs and packed earth. This would take many weeks of work to put together, but it would offer protection from the elements and perhaps even some meagre protection from the natives that they knew would eventually cross their paths.

And so it had begun, the great settlement of the Lancers. And it was decided that they would name their harbour city "Valedorn's Hope" in rememberence of one of their own who had died in battle, truely the most honourable way to die.

Excellent story. Your writing style is terrific; reminiscent of another great CF novelist... hmmm... what's the name? hmmm... I'm sure the name will dawn on me sooner or later.

Oh! ...'Valedorn's Hope'... you know... that name reminds me of some great CF novelist... hmmm... ***braincloud***

Keep up the superb work, Hewligan!

(spamming to subscribe)An excellent story indeed! :)

Amarinth moved to the very edge of the cliff, letting the toes of his hide boots move into free air. Valedorn’s Hope, or Val as everyone now referred to the town, was still just visible in the distance, a pin-prick of life nestled on the edge of the great ocean.

He was first generation, someone with no ties to the old tales, except that they still pulled on his imagination, constantly reminding him that there was a universe out there that stretched far beyond the shores of the ocean, all the way out to other worlds with other people like him.

He hated the now bustling town. It felt cramped to him, stifling, and yet too small all at the same time. He had wanted to explore for years, but his people, the Lancers, were adamant that all young men received thorough martial training, and thus he had been forced to wait until his sixteenth birthday and his ascent to seniority. He was a full warrior now, a man, and it was expected that he would take a wife and go establish some farm, or perhaps ply the sea like his own father, hunting fish with his crude nets and baskets. But Amarinth had no intention of doing either. Amarinth had wanted out.

Utada, the once lover of Kai, and mother of the infant Kitaru, a boy of eight years who the Lancers knew would one day lead their tribe, was seen as a caretaker leader. She was clever, quick of mind, but did not command the respect of the entire clan. Kai himself had disappeared before knowing of his progeny. Amarinth could still remember the fear in the people as rumours had spread that Kai wanted to depart. He was of a different life, he told them, a misfit, someone who was not from this time. People pleaded with him to stay. He was like a god figure to them. He had brought them here, teaching them the military way, the path of patience, the concept of honour, the tales of the dead, the stories of the spirits of nature, the Shinto tradition. He had defined them, but the people still felt weak, still felt unprepared, and Kai’s unhappiness weighed upon them all.

But still he had left. He had spent a long evening with the elders, reciting the tales to them, entreating them to never forget, to always pass on to their young. And finally he had promised them that one day he would return to them. Then he had left.

Amarinth recalled staring out of his hut late at night, peering secretly from a crack in the shuttered window of his room, watching his parents bow low as the passing form of Kai left them. He had been bitter at first. Why was their leader forsaking them? But now he understood, or thought he did. Kai too must have felt the need to get out of Val and explore the world around them. Or perhaps the other rumours were true. Perhaps he had returned to the sacred mountain site of their arrival, and returned himself into the state of frozen death from which they had all first risen. Perhaps he had some premonition of a time when he would be needed, and had gone to await that calling? Amarinth didn’t have much time for the semi-religious cult that had grown up around the memory of Kai. He was not a religious man. He was a warrior, and a scout, and a free spirit.

And so two years ago Amarinth too had left the Val, aged sixteen. He had spent much of that time wandering the peninsula that they called home, mapping out in his mind those areas that offered the greatest potential for future farms and villages. He was the first Lancer to witness the natives of this land. They were short, almost human-like people, covered in thick black fur. Their faces were yellow, leathery, but with quick witted eyes and a very communal mindset. He had spotted them, but luckily they had not spotted him. He had lain low and waited. Now was not the time to fight. He had watched them use the animals to their bidding. Birds seemed to be used as messengers, with daubs of brightly coloured paint on their wings sending signals to other tribes. They used wolf like creatures too as hunting companions, flushing out and driving the prey into the path of the waiting natives.

After two days of hiding out his curiosity had gotten the better of him, and he had walked, palms up and open, into the tribe’s small village. He could still recall how his heart had been beating like a storm on stone as the screeching and hollering natives had angrily encircled him, wielding their crude wooden spears.

He had sang to them, the song of his people, of their descent from the heavens, and of memory of the dead, and the strength of honour above all. He knew they could not possibly understand a word, but it had calmed them, entranced them even. For three months he had stayed with them, sharing his peoples’ skills of axe making, singing, fire, cooking of meats, and crop planting. In return they had shared their ways with him, showing him how to calm and train the birds, and showing, largely through mime, what each colour and symbol they painted on the wings would mean to the other tribes nearby. He learned a little of their words, and made simple songs for them that tried to copy. As he had prepared to leave, to return to the Lancers and reveal his knowledge of the land and peoples of the peninsula, they had gifted him with a wolf pup, one of their hunting dogs. Khor, they had called it. Khor! Emphatically Khor. And so Khor was what he called her, his beautiful wolf, and truly the only thing that he felt absolutely anchored to.

His people had celebrated at his return, and shared their new found invention, wine, with him. He had detailed the peninsula to them, and they had found some relief tinged with some sadness, that there were no other humans here. The Lancers to this day still did not know if they were the only pod to have survived the fall to Alea7.

He had been offered an honorary position amongst the elders for the amazing knowledge he had brought back with him, unheard of for an eighteen year old, but he had turned it down, explaining that now he would go west into the great plains beyond the peninsula, and that he would send back messages of his travels using the birds in the same way the natives had taught him. It had taken him three months in Val to capture enough birds, and train them in the art of homing, but to the amazement of all those around him, it had worked. They agreed upon some common symbols for him to paint, and then he had set out with three birds and Khor on what would become the longest journey.

GAME NOTES: Amarinth was my first warrior. I was brave/foolish enough to send him around the landmass that would become clear as the Lancer peninsula (basically the eastern head of the Pangea map). I actually left Valedorn unprotected until the second warrior popped, as I wanted to find a suitable settlement point ASAP. He found that and more. Lots of good sites to settle, and amazingly no other civs. In game, Amarinth was then sent west, and it was him that pretty much discovered the rest of the world for us (and made us quite a lot of allies and cash). His tales will take up most of the next 4 or 5 posts.

JAKT: You are correct in your assumption. Valedorn was my attempt at a thinly veiled nod to Vanadorn. His writing is obviously the inspiration for many.

CHOXORN: Many thanks!

Game map of Peninsula after Amarinth's scouting is not available, as the only screenshot of that is when the second city is founded. Next post perhaps?

hewligan said:
He had sang to them, the song of his people, of their descent from the heavens, and of memory of the dead, and the strength of honour above all. He knew they could not possibly understand a word, but it had calmed them, entranced them even. For three months he had stayed with them, sharing his peoples’ skills of axe making, singing, fire, cooking of meats, and crop planting. In return they had shared their ways with him, showing him how to calm and train the birds, and showing, largely through mime, what each colour and symbol they painted on the wings would mean to the other tribes nearby. He learned a little of their words, and made simple songs for them that tried to copy. As he had prepared to leave, to return to the Lancers and reveal his knowledge of the land and peoples of the peninsula, they had gifted him with a wolf pup, one of their hunting dogs. Khor, they had called it. Khor! Emphatically Khor. And so Khor was what he called her, his beautiful wolf, and truly the only thing that he felt absolutely anchored to.
I am guessing that at this point, Amarinth ran into a goody hut, but it's unclear what he got from it. Maybe you can put that in your game notes? ;)

choxorn said:
I am guessing that at this point, Amarinth ran into a goody hut, but it's unclear what he got from it. Maybe you can put that in your game notes? ;)
No, he didn't pop any huts until the next post (he popped one just west of Valedorn's Hope). He mapped the peninsula, and then later most of the known lands, but I wanted to tie in how he sends news back home (after all, how do my civs get the knowledge of a map drawn by someone 1000 miles away, or how do they know about trade relationships, etc? Also, there were later LOTS of barbs coming from the north part of the peninsula, and they were quite advanced, so I thought I may as well introduce them now, as friends (later they are a blinking annoying enemy).

I guess that makes sense.

Amarinth looked down the winding valley towards the distant plumes of smoke. The area ahead looked fertile, but not yet turned by the hand of man. Wild flowers and thick grasses filled the valley. This would make a good settlement location, he thought, but it appears that someone got here first.

He moved carefully forward, skirting towards a line of hedges that seemed to follow the valley path. These would offer him some protection from prying eyes until he could determine whether the producers of the smoke were likely to be friend or foe.

Khor slinked beside him, the wolf sensing its master's tension, and lowering its body in preparation for possible attack. Amarinth realised that he too had assumed a similar stance, low, taut, ready to spring. His left hand went instinctively to the wooden prayer panels that hung around his neck. Let Kaze be with him. Let the wind be on his side.

At the edge of the hedgerow he stopped and lowered himself to the ground. Khor tensed besides him, and Amarinth moved a hand to stroke the wolf's snout. "Quiet girl, be still!" he whispered. He could see forms moving, he could hear voices, words he understood.

A woman's voice rang out "Khallek, bring them here! Now, child! Amorth, will this boy never learn?" A second voice answered the first, shouting some affirmative response.

Amarinth gathered his courage and rose from his hiding place. He could see a tall woman, thin, and with flesh so pale it startled him. Her hair was jet black, and pinned tight against her scalp in a spiralled bun. He moved slowly towards her, making conspicuous noises so as not to surprise her with his approach. She turned, her mouth dropped open, and then she ran.

Amarinth almost followed her, almost felt the instinct to run her down overcome him. No, this was the first human contact in their twenty years on this planet, and he didn’t need to rush it. He moved slowly, with Khor at his side, towards the distant homesteads.

-----

The tiny village of eight huts had been waiting for him. Five men were standing, arms holding onto farming implements, but with the stance and deliberation that made it clear that they could be used as weapons if the need arose. He could see others in the distance running in from the fields they had been tending, moving to see what terror this day had brought.

Amarinth had assumed the same open arm approach, palms spread and clear. “I come from the east. My people are like yours.” He repeated. “I am a friend”, and deep down he hoped that this was indeed the case. Khor growled restlessly at his side.

“We are the only people here. What demon are you?” challenged one older man, his face heavily scarred, as if from some ancient burn. He was the leader, Amarinth surmised.

“I am Amarinth of the Lancers. My people live about 10 days walk east of here on the coast. We are peaceful folk, farmers and fishers mainly. I am an envoy, sent out in the hope that we would find people such as yourself.” He responded, holding his voice strong and steady. “We are friends!”

“We’ll be the judge of that!” The burly man responded, his face twisted in anger. “We have had nothing but trouble from strangers so far!” He let that hang in the air.

“You have met others?” questioned Amarinth, but the big man had obviously decided that he had revealed more than he should.

“Forget it. Look, we ain’t qualified to talk to you anyway. We are just a small farming community. You probably want to head west. Follow that road, it will take you to Delhi. That is where the puppet master lives.”

Amarinth had nodded, offered some quiet word of thanks. “Maybe later” he whispered to himself. “Great!” he answered with a smile, and set off down the road.

As soon as he was out of sight Amarinth turned off the road and started to move quickly across the countryside to the south. Delhi sounded like a place that would require a proper delegation. He would skirt south for a few hours, and then double back to Valedorn’s Hope to let them know that for all these long years they had only been a ten day march away from another pod group.

-----

Amarinth was six hours south of the farming village and the people who referred to their leader as the puppet master. Puppets, he thought. If their ruler is the puppet master, then they must be the puppets. It worried him. The coldness, the anger, the look of them, so tall, so ghostly pale, like nature spirits. The closeness of their village to his own worried him most of all. An entire planet, and already he had found their first rival nation.

-----

GAME NOTE: The Puppets, as I will be calling them, are the Indian civ. I think they were cautious with us when we first met. We met a worker group, but they had nothing to trade, so we didn’t bother pushing it yet. They really were damn close to Valedorn’s Hope, but at least we still had the peninsula to colonise. There would be future conflict with this nation, of course, as there almost always is when you find yourself pushed up against another country early in the game.

Amarinth knew that he had a problem. His natural tendency to keep pushing on for just one more hour had led him much deeper south than he had originally intended to travel. Twelve solid hours of marching, with barely a break for breath, had left him, and Khor, exhausted. He had come upon a small stream that gurgled with such enthusiasm that it almost lifted his spirits, but it was late now, long past the fall of night, and further progress would prove far too dangerous even for his sharp eyes.

He threw his heavy pack down and almost fell on top of it with exhaustion. Khor moved to the stream, thirsty for some water. Amarinth was asleep before she even reached its banks.

-----

Khor bit him. The shock swept the sleep from his mind. Khor had bitten his arm, was continuing to bite his arm. What the ...

She was growling, staring at him, her eyes like pools of radiance in the moonlight. At first he made to strike her, to punish her for the insolence she was showing, but something about her focused intent changed his mood.

She isn't biting me, he realised. She is trying to drag me up. The wolf continued to issue a low growl, a challenge to the night. He touched her noise, silenced her with a whisper, and felt her teeth release on his left arm. He heard a twig snap. Someone was approaching!

His right hand moved instinctively to the flint dagger tucked into his belt, but already they were racing towards him. Three natives, their forms silhouetted against the moonlit sky, were racing towards him. Their looping, almost jumping runs were matched by hollering warcries.

Amarinth watched Khor leap, twisting in mid-air into the first attacker. Everything slowed as a wash of adrenaline flooded through his veins. There was a scream, and the gutteral snarl of an animal ripping flesh. Then he was next. Some beastial scream erupted from within him as a spear flashed into his thigh. It embedded in the flesh, waving uselessly from his leg. The leg gave way and he crumpled to one knee. And then they were upon him.

He felt detached, almost analytical, as the fight unfolded. The first native was spearless now, but was raising a small stone headed axe above its head. He thrust up with his knife, burying it deep into the groin of the yellow faced barbarian. It made a sound unlike any he had ever heard before. A sound of extreme pain, but also a sound of anguish, as if realising that this wound would be fatal.

The knife slipped from his grip as blood poured from the vicious wound. His hand withdrew from the embedded weapon as the barbarian crumpled into a twisting mass. The second assailant towered above the prone form of Amarinth, its spear darting down hard and fast towards him. He felt instinct take over as he thrust his hands protectively forward, feeling the spear puncture his left palm. His right hand grabbed the shaft and tugged hard, pulling the attacker over Amarinth's head, and onto the ground behind him.

A single quick tug released the spear's carved head from his hand, and drew a gasp of pain from him. There was no time to think about it now, he could see the barbarian already rising to his feet, an axe now held tightly in its right hand. Behind him he could still hear the screams and yelps as Khor tackled the third assailant.

Amarinth still held the bloodied spear that he had just pulled from his left hand. It would have to do. He saw the barbarian facing him take a nervous look at its desperately squeeling compatriot being savaged by Khor. The slight distration was all the chance he needed. He drove forward, low and fast, his bloodied left hand scooping his pack from the ground at his feet and swinging it up towards the barbarian, hoping to block the axe blow that he knew would rain down on his.

It worked better than he had imagined. The pack swung up hard, cracking with a satisfying thunk into the chin of the barbarian. His axe blow never came. He stumbled back comicly, swaying for a second, before Amarinth's momentum drove the spear through the thick black fur and into the chest cavity. The ribs made a hollow pop as they burst open, and then the spear just sank with no resistance into the flesh.

Amarinth stepped back. The barbarian put both hands to the spear, looking confused, and then he fell.

There was no time to relax. Amarinth picked up the axe from the fallen barbarian and lurched off on his damaged leg towards Khor. His beautiful hunting wolf was injured, with a wicked scar on her upper lip, probably the result of an axe blow, but she was, he realised, no longer in need of his help. The movement of the savaged barbarian below her had ceased, and Khor was simply taking our her fury on the corpse. Let her eat, he thought. She deserves her spoils.

-----

GAME NOTES: Guess who popped a hut! He popped two in close succession. The first yielded some angry barbs who Amarinth laid judicious smack upon. The second hut he uncovered was much friendlier and actually taught him horse-riding. I am not going to bother with the horse-riding story - it conjures too many images of lace enrobed lovers riding over a mist-laden hill on a beautiful English April morning. Suffice it to say that Amarinth was VERY popular with me in the game. He got promoted to vet, got me contact with India, got me 25 gold from a third hut he popped later on, and also got me contact with another civ (next post). And there was more from him (as I will probably cover). His map making skills netted us a fortune. Best warrior I have ever built!

----- Day 1

Cold, wet, and in extreme discomfort, Amarinth began the long route home. His thigh was in a bad way, swollen and raw. He had strapped it tight, and the bleeding had stopped, but a dull wash of pain swept through him with every step. His left hand looked terrible, the palm ragged and torn, but it had cleaned up easily, and the flesh was now held together under a loose cloth binding. It would heal.

With these injuries, assuming that they did not worsen further, it would take him more than two weeks to make the long trek back to Valedorn. Still, he was alive, and for that he thanked the nature spirits.

His rations were light, and his mood sour, but there was no point wallowing in self pity. There was too much hiking to do. He cursed his stupidity in pressing further south than he had planned. If he had just turned on his heel after meeting the Puppets, he would be a good way into his return to Valedorn.

----- Day 6

The figures had been visible on and off for the past twenty minutes or so, moving into view on a distant hill, and then continuing towards him. There were four of them. They were too tall and straight of posture to be natives. More humans. Probably puppets.

Amarinth's mind raced. They had sent work of his arrival, and now they had tracked him down and were going to kill him before he could report back to Valedorn. He wanted to outrun them, but his thigh had gotten worse, an infection spreading through it, causing it to burn through day and night. He was becoming delirious for spells during the day, dipping into moments of complete absence of thought. He would awaken to find himself still stumbling forward, leaning heavily on the hastily crafted crutch he had constructed, normally wandering randomly. He had no idea how often or how long these spells were, but he knew they were becoming more frequent.

The figures ... he peered, hand shielding against the sun ... still four of them. They were moving fast, directly towards him. Where were his homing birds? He scanned the skies. Lost? He hadn't been feeding them for days. His mind wasn't with it. He needed them now. Needed to send a message home. "We have company", the red mark on both wings. He should have done that earlier. He should have done a lot of things.

The sun was glaring down on him, and coupled with the fever he was slick with sweat. When had he last drank? Was it yesterday? Just keep moving. They are getting close!

-----

Lead Scout River Williams of the Colonists held an arm out to halt the progress of his small band of explorers. A large wolf was hunched over the collapsed man, its teeth bared in a protective snarl. A strange pet to be keeping, he thought, but perhaps not a bad idea in such dangerous lands.

"Wait. This thing could be dangerous. We need to calm it down before it is going to let us check on its master."

He put his hands into his pack to fetch a strip of dried meat. The beast's agitation seemed to grow with River's movement. He stilled his body, slowly bringing his hand back into view.

"Calm girl, calm. We are here to help him, not hurt him." As he spoke he stretched out his hand, letting the dried meat dangle. "Come girl, take some food." The wolf looked famished, her fur drawn close to the ribs. She snarled once, raising her nose, but also closing her mouth and lowering her head towards the offered meat.

"Calm girl, calm" he repeated, over and over, as slowly the wolf slouched towards the dried offering. The poor thing looked dejected, as if it knew that it should still be standing guard over its master, but the food was just too strong a pull to its ravenous appetite. It took the meat in weak jaws and lay itself down to feed. River bent and stroked the head of the beast. A magnificent animal, he thought, and a great idea for a pet.

-----

Amarinth awoke to the feel of water on his face. It was cold. He spluttered as the liquid poured into his mouth. His head was burning.

He could hear voices. Words.

"He is waking. Good."

He slowly opened his eyes, feeling the piercing sun strike at his already pulsing head. He sealed them again quickly, instinctivly placing a hand against his temple.

"Owwwwww..." he groaned.

A soothing voice answred him moan. "You are suffering from sun stroke, among other things. We have re-dressed your thigh wound, but it is looking pretty ugly, and we need to get you back to a town if possible. Do you live near here?"

Amarinth forced his eyes open. "I live east of here. Probably about 5 days walk. I don't know if I can make it. My leg ..." He trailed off. "Who are you?" he asked, looking around at the four people who nunched near him.

"I am Lead Scout River Williams of the Colonists" answered the first man. Tall, dark haired and very handsome. "This is Evelyn Nash, Tanker O'Brian, and Fields" he continued, motioning to his companions. One woman and two men, all young, tall and strong looking.

"The Colonists?" questioned Amarinth?

"Yes, we come from far to the west, but we are scouting out the lands far and wide. These are interesting times Amarinth. Our empty world is empty no more. And your people ...?" He let the question hang.

"We are the Lancers. Come, I will introduce you to my people. Perhaps we have some things we can trade with you?" He offered, feeling for the first time that perhaps his people had become a little backwards in their time on this planet. "I can show you the way to our capital, Valedorn's Hope. They will welcome you there. We can grow strong together!"

-----

GAME NOTES: Amarinth met an English scouting contingent just south of the Indian lands. They were friendly (for the time being), and trade was established between nations.

The Colonists (the English civ) returned to Valedorn's Hope and established an embassy with us. We similarly established one with them in London. We found out that they had contact with the Chinese, French, and German civs. They were also quite wealthy and had some warriors, workers and settlers ready to go in London.

We taught the Colonists horseriding, and in return they taught us Masonry and gave us some gold. It cost us 39 gold to establish the emabassy, but luckily we sold masonry to the Indians for 25 gold to recoup most of that cash. At this point in the game I was much more concerned about the Puppets (Indian civ) on our doorstep than the far-away Colonists (English civ).

game screenshot? You said you had one for a few posts ago. ;)

Utada pulled her hair back tight against her scalp and secured it in place with the bone and copper clasp. The clasp had been fashioned in the design of the red dragon emblem, the symbol of the Lancers. Kai had always been adamant that these symbols of their forgotten past must be retained. The names, the military ranks, the ethics and beliefs of their distant ancestors, but most importantly of all, the pride in being a Lancer.

The red dragon now flew proudly over the recently established palace building, the giant flag fluttering in the constant sea breeze. It was only a year ago that the first dyes had arrived. Red and blue, initially, and later a powdered stone compound that make a fantasticly bright yellow. They had been discovered near New Republic, the tiny town at the north east of the peninsula that the Lancer youth had established a couple of years ago.

She had not visited the New Republic yet. It was a long journey, and the track was treacherous. Still, she would travel in time, once Kitaru was old enough. Kitaru was old enough already. A precoscious child with an incredible strength of character, he had reached his sixteenth year. She wanted to protect him, hold him back from assuming command of his people, but it was growing harder every month. She was not popular, and rumblings were growing among the Elders that she was trying to retain control for her own purposes. It infuriated her, these small minded rumour-mongers, but she had had to deal with worse than rumours during her time as dowager.

The Lancers were strong in spirit, but weak in numbers. They did not breed fast enough to compete with the Puppets, and her envoy in the Colonists capital of London was always too keen to regale her with tales of wonder from that city. He was, she feared, in danger of converting too willingly to their ways.

She was growing fearful for her people's safety. The peninsula offered many bountiful resources, and she knew that eventually someone would try to wrest them from their grasp. And to make matters worse, a messenger had arrived last night from New Republic to ask for help. A flood of barbarians had been making work around the city treacherous. They feared that an all out attack was imminent. She could not afford to lose the fledgling city, for it contained a large portion of the youth of this young Lancer nation. It represented the future of her people, and it must be protected.

-----

Kitaru was already waiting for her in the main hall of the palace. He was standing with Taro, the first child of the Lancers, and now a close confidant and adviser of her son's. She had liked Taro once, before he had become a little too independent for her tastes. Now he hung around her son like a bad smell.

"My child, what gets you up and about so early? Is martial practise this morning?" She asked her son, trying to sound sweet despite the unmistakable edge of concern in her voice.

"No." he responded.

"What then?" she snapped, feeling annoyed at herself for speaking to him this way, but still unable to stop herself.

"I am going to New Republic!" he responded, hands on hips, looking defiant, his chin raised. "Taro and myself are going to take the first battalion of archers up there and flush out the barbarians. We cannot afford to lose the New Republic. We are already ..." his mother stopped him mid flow with her raised voice.

"Nonsense! NONSENSE! You are going nowhere! You could get yourself killed, and where would that leave us? Don't be an idiot. You think this is some adventure do you? Well it is stupidity is what it is. Did Taro put you up to this?" She asked, glaring at the young man with venom in her eyes.

Kitaru looked calmer than she had expected him to, not flushing at her tirade. This, coupled with his silence, angered her even more.

"ANSWER ME CHILD!" she screamed at him.

"I will send back a messenger once we have successfully secured New Republic against the horde. I have already told the horseman that arrived yesterday to return to New Republic and advise them of our imminent arrival. The first battalion is prepared and ready to depart." he answered her, his gaze challenging, holding her, unblinking. "And you will never refer to me as 'child' again!".

She slapped him with ferocious intensity, her copper rings pulling two thin tendrils of blood from his cheek. The shock of her action pulled a short gasp from her own throat, but Kitaru held still, maintaining his stare.

"Goodbye mother!" he offered, before turning to leave, Taro following behind.

Utada stood for a while in the empty hall, her shoulders slumped in defeat. "I am so sorry." she whispered. "I am so sorry." Over and over, into the silence.

-----

GAME IMAGES:

The founding of New Republic, the second city of the great Lancer nation.

A clean image of the peninsula that the Lancers inhabit. It isn't much, but it is home!

The map. Lots unexplored, but you wait until after Amarinth finishes his great scouting of the west. The purple civ is the Puppets.

Top Bottom