The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King

Would you have succumbed to the Ring?

• Oh yeah. I don't know if I could have kept it up.

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Hah! I would have carried it to Orodruin and back!

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • I would have used it!

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • My precious....

Votes: 20 54.1%

• Total voters
Originally posted by YNCS
**** SPOILER ALERT IN THIS POST ****

They're reportedly not doing the Cleansing of the Shire and death of Saruman. Actually, those would be hard to do, because the Sackville-Bagginses weren't introduced in FOTR.
They most certainly were in the first movie. Bilbo hid from them when they came to his house, and then again when they came to his birthday party. For me, the Cleansing of the Shire was the whole metaphoric point of the books. Not including it in the movie makes the films have a completely different message/point of view. Jackson has done such a good job with them that I think it's valid, but it's certainly not Tolkein.

I don't mind him leaving out the scouring, but I do hope that he thinks up some clever way to get Sarumon out of the story.

The Scouring of the Shire is one of my favourite bits. I was disappointed, to say the least, when I heard it didn't make it into the movie.

I'll see ROTK in the theater just to wrap up the entire series. The first movie was very good but I felt the second strayed too far from the books. If they exluded the scouring of the Shire I will be rather unimpressed.

I'm going to go see it. I'm a huge fan of the books, and the first two were good (a hell of a lot better than the cartoon versions). Though I was disapointed that they left out the whole Tom Bombadil part in FOTR.

As far as Ring bearing goes I would have used it for my own devices, I am CFC's resident dictator for life. With the ring that life would have been infinately prolonged.

One December some years ago I went to the flicks and saw a trailer announcing that in December the following year "The Fellowship of the Ring" would be on.

Well I was excited, but also a little wary. After the first two I now expect very little from ROTK, but I'll see it anyway- who knows, maybe it'll be OK. Well there's allways hope!

***SPOILER***apparently, the director didnt like the shire scouring or something so i didnt film it at all. Extended edition will include more things but i know of 2 of them: The Eowyn-Faramir thing, and when Grima kills Saruman.

I'm seeing the film at midnight opening night (erm, 12:01 AM to be exact)!

I can't wait. Imagine: by this time next week, I'll have seen it...and probably failed a physics test next wednesday to to the lack of sleep ;)

I remember a movie critic said an interesting thing that the more powerful people are more tempted by the ring. So the more power you have the more power you want and the more tempted you can be, very much like life.

@mrogreturns: WHAT?! You thought the first two LOTR movies were kinda bad?! Maybe it's just because you didn't have an attention spand beyond five minutes and didn't appreciate the masterpiece.

Third post: The scouring of the Shire isn't involved?! At first when there was no Tom Bombadil I was shocked. If Tolkien was alive and had his way the movies would be nine hours long each!

Originally posted by Packer-Backer
Third post: The scouring of the Shire isn't involved?! At first when there was no Tom Bombadil I was shocked. If Tolkien was alive and had his way the movies would be nine hours long each!
I very much doubt that. In fact, I would hope that Tolkien would be wise enough to know that what makes a good book and what makes a good movie are two very different things. They are completely different mediums, with different strengths and different needs. More is most certainly not always better.

PJ has done a masterful job so far. I completely trust his judgement on what he'll end up cutting.

Originally posted by Sarevok
***SPOILER***apparently, the director didnt like the shire scouring or something so i didnt film it at all.
It's not that he didn't like it, it's that there is no way to make it work given the pacing that a movie has to follow. The climax of the story is Frodo destroying the ring; everything has to wind down from there. You can get away with some wrap-up after the climax, but there's no way an audience is going to sit still while you start another little story after they've been there for 3+ hours and seen the climax. Heck, lots of people don't like the pacing in the book, and you can always put a book down and resume it later.

Peter filmed Frodo's vision in the mirror as his tribute to the scouring, but he knew that pacing would never allow him to put the real thing in the movie.

Originally posted by Packer-Backer
@mrogreturns: WHAT?! You thought the first two LOTR movies were kinda bad?! Maybe it's just because you didn't have an attention spand beyond five minutes and didn't appreciate the masterpiece.

Yeah- I guess there must be something not quite right about me if I my view differs from yours.

I have wathed it it came out in newzealand first

Don't go overboard, mrogreturns. I say these movies are great, lots of people agree, and I think everybody who knows good movies would enjoy this masterpiece. I also trust PJ to do a great job, I guess he had a reason to leave out TB because it would be too long of a movie and I guess an interuption in the fluent movie. I just hope it at least mentions that the Shire is under attack. Merry and Pippin kept talking about the Shire but then about how the Shire could be gone if they don't do something in LOTR-TT movie.

Originally posted by jpowers
For me, the Cleansing of the Shire was the whole metaphoric point of the books. Not including it in the movie makes the films have a completely different message/point of view. Jackson has done such a good job with them that I think it's valid, but it's certainly not Tolkein.
exactly what i think!
that's why i'm so shattered about it being left out.

Originally posted by Sarevok
***SPOILER***
and when Grima kills Saruman.
ok, consider me confused.

RE: Cleansing of the Shire

It's not in there for various reasons already posted. If you really want to know why, then watch the extended cut with the director/writer commentary on and PJ and PB and FW will explain it all.

In film 1, you see the Shire having troubles when Frodo looks into the pool with Galadriel. It isn't taken out of the films, it's just not mentioned in the third film is all. Besides, adding that would add another 20 minutes to a movie that is already long enough.

Top Bottom