The Lost Battle (Deity AW)

NTT does not make a diference for us, but it does to the AI ;) As the AI will get mutual struggle diplo +, the trade teching between them will be even worse than usual if we don't check NTT ...

Oro oro?
I guess this is what happens when one uses circumvolution as his main rhetorical tool... Not advised!

So I've seen the thread. Hello all.
I've tested the format once, yesterday, with Mao, and lost city2 to Rome before turn 40...

Short game in prospect; I'm in :)
I hope this is where I learn how to choke neighbours and make a diligent use of stolen workers.

@BUFFY: I can't handle it at the moment but I guess it can be fixed. Troubleshooting sessions are always annoying but I can manage.
@Civ & Leader: as you wish.
@Pangaea options: the map varies a lot between Solid (or is it Pressed?) and Natural coast. Maybe the in between option is the most appropriate?

I would suggest being more creative with these, like..you must only declare on the first 3 AIs you meet (no need for AW setting then ofc) and stay in war, but can be peaceful (and trade) with others.
I played some like these, much more interesting..like @AZ said in one of his videos, deity AW is only good for self torture but not very interesting cos diplo and so never changes ;)

Well, "win the map" and "survival" are different types of games.
I believe this thread is more for a survival game than for a getting a win.

The kind of rules you describe, Mylene, are interesting and would apply very well for a (very) hard "win the map" game :)

Snaaty has offered to do that for us. So I'll take it that you're in :)
Oh cool, I hadn't seen that.
I guess I should take the occasion to mention I'm glad to play a team game and expect a lot of fun!

Just tested Wang of Mali and he is a sound pick indeed. Did survive till 2120 BC this time and 1000 BC is conceivable. 3rd city seems hard to get, though :lol:
Playing in team probably gives the chance to reach the ADs. Wang is probably the best pick but I don't mind another leader.
Ah! The ADs... I should warn you I haven't played in the ADs for a while - months - as I've suffered from severe reloadite recently.

What do you all think of a hand-picked start? May I request an Agriculture (1 resource at least, no low-food unless floodplains), no forest-spam start, adjoining riverside being a welcome plus?

:D have fun to all of you

some quick points:

- from my point of view, wang of mali is the best leader (you need some backland cottages and fin simply helps early, before the real stacks show up)
- pangea with natural shoreline (usually some peninsulas that can be defended via 2-3 cities) the ideal map
- and i would reroll untill you have a really great start:)
- it helps to see the coastline when picking a start, starting inland, surrounded by ais will be a very short game

maybe roll 5 starts, play 5 turns into each of it, then decide which one to pick (you will invest quite a lot of time into this, so best is to have a really, really good start

I think a hand picked start is the idea here. We are playing to win BiC :)

I was thinking, start on hill (plains preferably), stone in BFC with horses/copper and at least one agri resource (wet corn). Rivers also welcome :)

That's why I was thinking of BUFFY so I could run map maker, but if not, I could just try several regenerations until we get something that matches.

Obviously, I would also love if someone (a lurker) played out a map roughly to give a good idea if we have a chance. Ie no good of playing if barbs over run us from one side or we get packed to two cities only :lol:

@My, I think it's worth giving this a shot though :)

:D have fun to all of you

some quick points:

- from my point of view, wang of mali is the best leader (you need some backland cottages and fin simply helps early, before the real stacks show up)
- pangea with natural shoreline (usually some peninsulas that can be defended via 2-3 cities) the ideal map
- and i would reroll untill you have a really great start:)
- it helps to see the coastline when picking a start, starting inland, surrounded by ais will be a very short game

maybe roll 5 starts, play 5 turns into each of it, then decide which one to pick (you will invest quite a lot of time into this, so best is to have a really, really good start

Thanks for the input Snaaty! I think that is actually a solid idea with the different number of starts actually. :)

Will bear the coastline in mind, that's a very clever idea actually. Plus, having one side to defend on naturally makes things twice as easy (but still very hard :lol: )

If you want, I can manually generate starts until I find one to be our tastes.
I can be very patient at it.

Unless some wants an ultra HoF starts with mapfinder.

That'd be great Tachy if you could do that. I'll be doing the same myself. :)

I think stone, hill, wet agri with river access would be ideal with coast near by preferably.

That's asking for a lot I know :lol:

What about our AI? I think they should also be handpicked though?

I'm thinking Ragnar and Napoleon right now because they're stupid :lol: Not sure about the rest. Do we want 5 AIs or the standard 6? :)

Or perhaps, another map instead of pangaea-like ones.
You see, we are pretty marginal compared to those who plays ultraviolent deity AW.

Just like the hemisphere mapscript, a map that allows us to breathe because some AI's are far away. But the rest is at war with us.

Recently, we had to see a hemi IMM AW and going straight to deity pangea AW seems to me downright source of frustration.

I guess that IS possible, but a problem with that may be that we could get other continent runaways. Imagine Mansa, Gandhi and Pacal on one continent :lol:
If we also want to go for certain wonders, all being at war just makes it more likely for us to get them as well. TGW/Oracle really.

However, I'm open to pretty much anything :)

Oh right. I completely forgot about that. :lol:

Okay, yeah, hemispheres can work then :)

Obviously though, the next step will then be Pangea :p

I wonder about global island mapscript. That one is really defensive and can generate some chokepoints with the right mountain configurations.

Also, it's not a definite single landmass.

Global highlands is an interesting script. But will it be fun? The maps look huge even on standard and the AI are really far away from you. Plus, I imagine they would struggle a lot as well no?

Top Bottom