The Lost Battle (Deity AW)

Lurking.

I'm impressed. 5 pages and you still haven't started? Must be practicing for next SGOTM! :lol:

102 posts and no start - is that record?

As for our locations, what have we agreed on then? My vote is for a pangea with a coastal (hammer heavy) start with islands nearby. Stone in BFC and good food obviously.

Suits me fine. Playable strong start - which you describe - is ok with me. Remember, you advertised a Pangaea map in the OP.

You misread ben-jammin post:
I'd take a crack at this, but only with input from the better deity players ;)
I don't believe he intends to play.

2 posts above are right. Something is done wrong; the game simply won't happen if we go on like that. No offence intended, Revent, you need to step up and make decisions. Hear the arguments/opinions and decide what's fair. It's no use diverting the discussions forever.

Chances are we die by T100 anyways. If we survive longer, we can say gg. Again, no use in delaying. Game is turn per turn, not real-time.
Come on, go, go! :goodjob:

Well, really, you're expecting for Tachywaxon's comments. (Don't be shy about it, Tachywaxon!) Can't speak for lurkers.

Cough cough. Mister, don't underwhelm the quality of your inputs.
To quote some genius in SGOTM:
It's :rolleyes: to see the comments of "2 master minds", that was how we were beat miserably in SGOTM12. We had the most well known deity players in SGOTM14 and that's the worst team in our history. Players like BIC, Bebe and soundjata are much better than some so called deity players.

;)

I'll see the updates tomorrow.

Aren't you the one who got flustered once discovered one of your map was tampered? Haha. Me wants pure hardcore random starts or two. After, we'll bow and accept defeat. And then the cuztomized map.

Stupid end of semester...so boriiiiiiiiiiiing. Me wants true fun.

What I meant: basically, just peeking into WB, regenerate and perhaps make slightly easier-to-manage-chokes.

It'd still be hellishly hard :p

~~~

The tampered maps I had when running the Daily Rounds were not just customized... one of them gave free extra stuff to the AI as I recall, while another added a bunch of Fallout on turn 0... not what I had in mind ;)

If you'd like, I could customize a "fair" map.

;)

I wouldn't mind that. Actually, I'd be grateful; so thank you for proposing anyway. If only for simplicity sake, I think it's a good idea to "externalize" the map generation.

However, Revent has launched Mapfinder already (I think). Not sure what step he's at exactly...
Can you receive PMs, Tachywaxon? I believe you were sent a couple of them...

Have generated 10 maps. Not all are suitable (or may be suitable if some tampering is done) though.

Just finished work though so will post some screenshots of the saves for us to pick five before we start. :)

OR, if you wouldn't mind kossin, if you could pick one of those saves and make some slightly easier to manage choke points, we could all play our own versions of that save up to turn X and then choose one to stick with at the turn. :)

I do apologise for all the delay, but the fun shall begin shortly!

we could all play our own versions of that save up to turn X and then choose one to stick with at the turn.
Arf! I must confess I'm not fond of that option :blush: When I test a map I always feel like I waste a map. It's not the same game.

EDIT: to be clearer. 2 ways to go that are acceptable to me:
- We (you) generate maps until we spot some good starting locations. However, good starting locations do not ensure good surroundings and we need both of these. So, if the start we pick does reveal awful surroundings after we start playing it (not testing - I won't go for testing, sorry), we have others in store to provide for easy restarts. This is Snaaty's suggestion. Note we don't really need many starts beforehand. If we reach a point where we feel the need to restart, we can still hunt for another start.
- An outsider (Kossin) is kind enough to open worldbuilder after spotting a fine start, which lets him ensure the surroundings are fit to play. Then we can take his word for granted that the map is "playable" and go for it.

2 ways to go that are acceptable to me:
- We (you) generate maps until we spot some good starting locations. However, good starting locations do not ensure good surroundings and we need both of these. So, if the start we pick does reveal awful surroundings after we start playing it (not testing - I won't go for testing, sorry), we have others in store to provide for easy restarts. This is Snaaty's suggestion. Note we don't really need many starts beforehand. If we reach a point where we feel the need to restart, we can still hunt for another start.
- An outsider (Kossin) is kind enough to open worldbuilder after spotting a fine start, which lets him ensure the surroundings are fit to play. Then we can take his word for granted that the map is "playable" and go for it.
TBH, I'm more for option 2 ;) But I also think that both the suggestions above are acceptable IMHO

lurker opinion:

imo you should ask some nice person to help create the map (aka kossin) and start... lurkers start to be a bit inpatient...

Can you receive PMs, Tachywaxon? I believe you were sent a couple of them...

I did. Just my focus is hard to leash. Especially in the RL AW environment right now.

---------------------------------

Let feed the ruckus meanwhile with petty things...they're starting groaning.

If you do decide to get a pre-checked map, let me know all the settings you'd like.

i.e. enemy AI leaders&civs?

Also, have you settled on Churchill? :)

Still (not) lurking.

Play as Hannibal! Mylene made a great point. Protective with the Mali is a waste of a trait. Protective lets your Archers survive right out of the gate, but Skirmishers can do that on their own.

By the Medieval period, especially if you're defending a narrow pass, it seems more important to have multiple super-duper GG defenders than a bunch of CG/Drill I Longbows. If your top defender(s) die, its like removing the keystone from a bridge. Everything falls apart. So you want to have several with Drill IV, CG III, Combat VI to watch each others' backs.

I'm impressed. 5 pages and you still haven't started?
5 pages... you'll see, I'm sure we can do better than that!

Please, be.

No worries, then.

Also, have you settled on Churchill? :)
Nominated for the Indecent question of the Thread.
How... titillating! Congratulations!

Play as Hannibal!
See? Thank you, Doshin... That's a great help.

I'll come back; need some tomato juice. En las venas, en las venas deberás tener.

Post 118

This lurker jogging around the block and hoping to see something. ;)

Leader:
Wang Churchill of Hannibalium, Mali and other Dominions.

Map settings:
Pangaea
Tropical Climate
Normal Sea Level
Natural Shoreline

Game settings:
No Tech Trades
Always War
No Vassal States
No Huts
No Events

Opponents:
Frederick of Byzantium
Lincoln of the Zulu
Napoleon of Germany
Brennus of America
Peter of Greece
Victoria of the Dutch
@Teammates: feel free to quote and edit the list at your convenience. Don't think I'll mind.
Thank you, Kossin :)

Well, if we go for Hannibal over Wang Kon, I don't actually have any maps for that. (Not sure if it's possible to change a leader via wb??). But for the saves I've generated, the images are below. If we want and you don't mind kossin, I can pass over the saves for ones that look okay and you can peek into wb and make small changes if necessary. :)

As for the starts I had generated:
Spoiler :

Top Bottom