The Luso-Dutch Clash, The Mighty Clássico: Porto vs Benfica - Adriaanse vs Koeman

MCdread

Couldn't she get drowned?
Tonight, 21:00 GMT. Estádio do Dragão, Porto.

Here it is, the great derby of Portugal, and this season, also a derby of Holland.

At the start of the season Benfica was a disgrace, but in later games they have improved. Porto was a joy, but now already started loosing points. There 4 separating both, with advantage to Porto. If Porto wins, here we go, if Benfica wins, it's as if the league starts again. Who will win? The clubs hate each other, the press likes to say that the two dutch coaches don't like each other. So, it's a derby like they're meant to be. :D

As for me, and to nobody's surprise I believe:

FORÇA PORTO!!!!

:cry:

Yesterday aliens turned up in Astérix village, today Porto lost at home to Benfica for the first time in 14 years. My childhood innocence is lost.
Guess what, our defense screwed majorly, 0-2. Either Adriaanse reflects seriously on his tactics and players selection, or I predict that he will soon have to find another country to work... As for Koeman, he stopped inventing a few weeks ago, started playing with the only system his team is built to play with, and the results are coming.

Let us not talk about this game no more. Maybe if a moderator would be so kind to delete this thread. :mischief:

So is this going to be the end for Adriaanse? It'd be a real shame, if his portuguese improves I think he can get a lot out of those players. He turned AZ into a real team (even Van Gaal can't screw it up), with Porto he can win the CL.

Some weeks ago I heard (or read, whatever) him say that the Porto board knew what kind of coach he was when they got him (i.e. offensive, positioning) so that they must have the idea to keep him there for years to come. However, imo southern clubs are pretty impatient...

Koeman sucks big time. He's incapable of assessing players and he can't deal with the stars of the team.

I think most of all Porto chose Adriaanse because of his discipline. Last season Porto had problems in that department. This season, until last game when a player was sent off for an utter moronoc behaviour, the team had the less cards and disciplinary problems.
People will have different opinions on what might be the problem: if it is the quality of the defenders that is weak, or if it is the collective defensive cooperation, in which case Adriaanse would be the ultimate responsible. All I know is that if Adriaanse doesn't swallow a bit of his pride and stubborness and reviews some of the team processes, we will not win anything this season.

As for Koeman, there 2 factors that drastically raised his credit among press and fans: he stopped inventing and adopted his pre-season tactics, ie, he sends Trapattoni's team to the pitch; and suddenly and without previous announcement, Nuno Gomes, that a flop of a striker, is in the form of his life, and even looks a world class striker, scoring with class from any type of game play.

MCdread said:
All I know is that if Adriaanse doesn't swallow a bit of his pride and stubborness and reviews some of the team processes, we will not win anything this season.

The position game he wants takes time. However, it is the right way to go without world class players. Although PSV owned AZ badly yesterday, AZ had some really good combinations.
Adriaanse had similar problems when he was with ajax. He's simply not that aimable when things aren't running smoothly. He should speed up learning the language as well.
The defensive game he plays requires a lot of commitment, especially from the offensive players. That's probably the hardest part, because to me portuguese forwards (or those playing for a portuguese club) seem extremily lazy.

BTW, did I mention that AZ has named the press room in their new stadium after Co? :lol:

Shabbaman said:
The defensive game he plays requires a lot of commitment, especially from the offensive players. That's probably the hardest part, because to me portuguese forwards (or those playing for a portuguese club) seem extremily lazy.

Well, in one of the goals we conceded to Artmedia, Quaresma, the very incarnation of individualism and lazyness in a forward, was the only player that was challenging the goal scorer in our box. Even the defenders were nowhere to be seen. The defenders are weak, that's obvious, but nos as weak as they'r looking. Everyone has also noted that the full backs are adptation, don't know how to defend ans spend more time attacking, so they explore those fragilities with piety.
Also, I would dare to say that the tactical ingenuity of second rate portuguese coaches working with small teams is higher than that of dutch. These small teams are all very smart and tricky, they all drank from the fountains of knowledge of the 2 most legendary Porto (and portuguese) coaches ever, Pedroto in the 70s and 80s, and Mourinho in the 2000s, and you can be sure that forward lazyness or lazyness at all was not a part of their systems. ;) So it is quite ironic that Porto is now suffering where the club always was the strongest and always lead the way for every other club in Portugal...

MCdread said:
The defenders are weak, that's obvious, but nos as weak as they'r looking.

I've just seen those two goals, and especially with the first goal the defending was beyond pathetic. He was standing there alone with two defenders. A good goal on his part, but omg awful defending...
Porto was running too much with the ball, low ball circulation speed. Strangely enough Adriaanse said he was content.

The guy that was marking the striker in that goal was Bosingwa, one of the full backs I described above as an adaptation to the position, and like the other full back, he can't defend...

Adriaanse has never beaten Koeman in a direct confrontation. Not with AZ vs Ajax, not with Ajax vs Vitesse....

Still I too think Koeman is totally unfit to manage young players and thus sucks as a coach. Adriaanse has turnt two Dutch crap team into gold, out of the blue.

Stapel said:
Adriaanse has never beaten Koeman in a direct confrontation. Not with AZ vs Ajax, not with Ajax vs Vitesse....

Still I too think Koeman is totally unfit to manage young players and thus sucks as a coach. Adriaanse has turnt two Dutch crap team into gold, out of the blue.

I hope he doesn't turn a golden team into a crappy one now. ;)

Anyway, is this just an invention of the portuguese press, or did they not like each other already from the Netherlands days?

MCdread said:
I hope he doesn't turn a golden team into a crappy one now. ;)

Anyway, is this just an invention of the portuguese press, or did they not like each other already from the Netherlands days?
They were just common rivals. Adriaanse got sacked by Ajax and was bittered by it. Koeman took the championship with Adriaanse's preperations.

Over here the press make us believe that they cannot stand each other since kindergarden (forget the age difference). Then again, that's the press' duty. ;)

:lol: it isn't like that.. just Adriaanse made some (stupid) remark once about Koeman.. eventhough it was a bit true. Something about his skills it was..

Now for that adaptring part.. that's how we always do it hehe.. Holland has like 3 natural defenders, so we always have midfielders that had to learn to become a defender. Van Bronckhorst for example, Opdam, Kromkamp.. even Frank de Boer was a left winger for some time.. and Van der Sar used to be striker!

One week later, I have only one thing to say:
BENFICAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Benfica sure is doing well, but what's all this about Braga?

Last season Braga was the revelation team, until the last weeks, it had great chances of winning, but it lost with Sporting and it stayed at 4th place. This season, Braga is the first with 20 pts. Followed by Porto 17 pts and Benfica 16. However last season Braga never managed to win benfica xD

That's kind of interesting to know, especially since I know that Portuguese football has traditionally been dominated by Benfica, Sporting, and Porto, with only Boavista breaking their dominance in recent times. Do you (and all Portuguese posters here) think that Braga could become the next Boavista?

Possibly IMO

Top Bottom