The Manhattan Project and Espionage

Malchar

Prince
The Manhattan Project/The Internet should be "built" by using commerce or beakers rather than by using hammers. They could use a similar mechanic as with building settlers where food is turned into hammers, except that commerce is turned into hammers.

These projects and also the spaceship pieces should be able to be "stolen" by enemy spies. If a spy is in a city where the project was completed, information about the project can be stolen as an espionage activity. This would add benefits to the spy's civilization. In turn, The Manhattan Project and The Internet should not give bonuses to all civilizations. However, civilizations will have to steal the information in order to get bonuses from the projects having been completed.

For example, after The Manhattan Project is completed somewhere, rival civilizations must either build their own Manhattan Project in order to get nuclear weapons, or they must use spies to steal the "technology". Basically, projects should work more like technologies and less like buildings.

Camikaze

Administrator
Administrator
If the Manhattan Project was to be built by that other than hammers, then the whole production system would seemingly have to be overhauled. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, and would certainly be more realistic, but I can't think of anything at the moment that would be much better, or functional.

Stealing projects would really only work to a small degree, and would only really be applicable to the internet and the Manhattan Project, not the Space Parts. The space ship components, and the Apollo Program, for that matter, require physical things, and are not just intellectual property that can be stolen from rivals. But those that are purely intellectual could be ascertained through espionage.

morss_4

Warlord
I suggested earlier that things like the National Epic or Heroic Epic should be built by culture. It didn't really go over well (although my idea was a bit more complicated.)

Regardless, the Manhatten project certainly involved a huge financial investment on the part of the U.S. government in things I would normally associate with hammers. Everyone knows how to make a bomb these days, not everyone has the uranium enrichment facilities to actually do it. I would say that perhaps the Manhatten project should have a science component to it, but it should not be only science.

Malchar

Prince
At some level, it makes sense that all wonders would require a certain amount of commerce (or other resource further derived from commerce). Wonders and projects could cost more than they do now, but all commerce from the city would be automatically transferred into hammers (as food is transferred for making settlers).

As for spies stealing spaceship parts, it wouldn't really be literal. I was thinking that they could steal the blueprints or something, and then they would receive a certain bonus to when the try to make the parts themselves. This could cause some interesting interactions where the first person to start building could actually be at a disadvantage unless they in turn steal their opponent's blueprints as well.

Just for clarification, the specific spy activity could look something like this:

Steal "part X" blueprints: Provides +25% :hammers: for building "part X"

Top Bottom