The Manhattan Project must pertain to the builder/s only

gunter

King
If I am reccaling right The Manhattan Project allows every player to build nuclear weapons despiting they have achieved this wonder or not.

I find that simply outrageous. :mad: :mad:

How comes that I spend lot of resources and time to reasearch such a long and expensive project and then ALL the other players can use my efforts for free ? It is like building Pyramids and then having their capabilities shared among every players and in addiiton for free. :mad:

Am I missing anything or should I stop this tremendous nightmare by an XML action ?

Thanks

It does seem that it would make more sense (that is, be more like real life) that the Atom Bomb be a technology and not a Manhattan Project wonder. Then the secret of the bomb could be traded or stolen by spies. The No Proliferation UN resolution could block trading of the technology.

IMHO :

- A bomb + Nuclear fission reactor: enabled by Fission
- H bomb: enabled by Fusion I ( or other name.... just a tech that represents a uncontroled fusion reaction )
- Fusion reactor: enabled by Fusion II ( the current fusion: controled fusion reaction, still a future tech , and necessary for the SS engines... maybe gives a non metdown nuclear reactor as well )

I have to agree. The fact that once anyone makes it, everyone has the ability to build nukes makes it one of those wonders that I won't build, unless I really need the advantage/protection of having nukes due to AI aggression.

I guess it's the "nuclear genie is out of the bottle, we know it can be done, so everyone can do it" kind of thinking, maybe?

what should be cool is that the one that build manathan project get 3 free bombs (thats what the american had in 1945 :o), so that would be fair.

Actually a better way would be to require that everyone build the project, but for every instance where the project is built, te next project is lowered in cost by a 1/3 or more depending on map size.

I think it's fine the way it is. You can't plan letting the IA research it, trade it and then get direct benefice of nukes.

Might be a bit overpowered but how about the Manhattan project giving the builder a few 'nuclear technology' resources that enable the building of nukes. these could be traded to other civilizations.

Any civ with an espionage ratio of over 100% could automatically gain the ability to build bombs.

If I am reccaling right The Manhattan Project allows every player to build nuclear weapons despiting they have achieved this wonder or not.

I find that simply outrageous. :mad: :mad:

How comes that I spend lot of resources and time to reasearch such a long and expensive project and then ALL the other players can use my efforts for free ? It is like building Pyramids and then having their capabilities shared among every players and in addiiton for free. :mad:
Not true. They still need Rocketry and Fission in order to build nukes.

On one hand, making it a national wonder that everyone is required makes sense. But on the other hand there is a big difference between building "the bomb" for the first time and just building bombs after someone else has proven it works and went and done it already.

So I think the Project should be as is in regards to giving everyone access to nuclear weapons, but maybe a benefit to the person that built the project. Maybe +25% bonus to building nuclear weapons. Maybe a free Tactical nuke every x turns. Few freee tactical nukes when built.

That is why I never build it.

How about after you build the Manhattan Project, all the other civs would have to wait x amount of turns before they could build nukes.

What if building the Manhattan Project gifted you 5 free nukes in the city that built it? Or a certain number of free nukes.

EDIT: Much like Kadasbrass's post. I also like the +25% production on nukes for the builder.

what should be cool is that the one that build manathan project get 3 free bombs (thats what the american had in 1945 :o), so that would be fair.

I like that idea. Some free nukes would help offset the cost in "wasted" hammers (as in, the AI benefits from your work "as much" as you do).

not sure if everyone is missing the point...if your after nukes first- and have a tactical plan based on using them-then "wasted hammers" or whining that every civ gets to use them is not relevant. (i would think) I mean how can a human's tactical plan not give one an edge over the AI.
(Unless your talking MP in which case ..i am not sure...)

The comparison of the Pyramids to the Manhatten Project is a false analogy-

Someone also mentioned that it should perhaps be a technology. But even here - why? Does all invention in Civ have to be based on the tech tree and not even one "odd" project deliver a new unit? Even when the resulting weapon changed the idea of total war forever?

Having said all that i do agree with a bonus nuke for the builder but i don't mind it being an odd project amongst the wonders.

i agree with the poster thats it slightly unfair. Perhaps once its built only the builder can make nukes for x amount of turns, after wich time everyone else can?

No it is not unfair, nukes are unfair. You want to use them? deal with the fact others will use them against you.

I'm thinking that it would be a national project, each time someone builds it it makes the other national projects cheaper.

Or better yet, once it is built you get one free tactical nuke and a ten turn grace period before others can start building nuclear weapons

what if, after teh project was built, all other civs had to build a national project that was cheaper to get nukes?

Top Bottom