The many questions-not-worth-their-own-thread question thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it me, or do Islamic crescents sometimes look like a crescent of a world with an atmosphere rather than a crescent of our own moon, when you really look at it?

In Rancid's song 'Ruby Soho,' I gotta ask... what the hell does 'ruby soho' mean?
A prostitute named Ruby from the Soho neighborhood maybe. It would sorta fit with the lyrics.
Is it me, or do Islamic crescents sometimes look like a crescent of a world with an atmosphere rather than a crescent of our own moon, when you really look at it?
You are looking at jpgs.

This is wedding season, and I'm looking to invest in some awesome wedding clothes, but nothing too pricey. What are some specific suggestions for looking good at a wedding?

- Nothing too pricey
- Gotta look good, but don't want to be a peacock
- Bow tie or standard neck tie?
- What type of shirt, what color shirt, what color tie?

A gradient is too complex to belong on a flag or other insignia.

Question: Does anybody here have any experience with sciatica? (Particularly in the hip) How long does it usually last?

Question: Does anybody here have any experience with sciatica? (Particularly in the hip) How long does it usually last?
I have pretty extensive experience with sciatic pain.

Depends on what the cause is. Sciatica's a set of symptoms that can be applied to several different causes. If you're getting sciatic pain from, say, a herniated disc, usually recovery is within a few months, if not weeks. If it's longer than that, you may want to see about cortisone shots. (In my case, I've had sciatic pain from a herniated disc for seven years, and am finally going to go get the spinal gunk excavated from my lower back because it's just too friggin annoying.) Sometimes it could be that your piriformis is tightening up on the nerve because you're growing all weird; you can do stretches to alleviate that. Or you might just be sitting on your wallet weird, in which case you should stop putting it in the same pocket all the time.

I have pretty extensive experience with sciatic pain.

Depends on what the cause is. Sciatica's a set of symptoms that can be applied to several different causes. If you're getting sciatic pain from, say, a herniated disc, usually recovery is within a few months, if not weeks. If it's longer than that, you may want to see about cortisone shots. (In my case, I've had sciatic pain from a herniated disc for seven years, and am finally going to go get the spinal gunk excavated from my lower back because it's just too friggin annoying.) Sometimes it could be that your piriformis is tightening up on the nerve because you're growing all weird; you can do stretches to alleviate that. Or you might just be sitting on your wallet weird, in which case you should stop putting it in the same pocket all the time.
I'm not sure what the cause was, since I wasn't at the doctor's office when the diagnosis was given. All I know is that the pain began after the person lifted a heavy object up some stairs, and that the doctor gave some steroids to help the nerve heal. Hopefully it will heal quickly, because I am currently not enjoying the experience of living with a troll. (I hope the said person doesn't see this. :shifty:)

As a high school sophomore, I'm looking for some sort of volunteer work or possible summer programs dedicated to the social sciences, preferably in the New York area.

Do any of you have recommendations as to what sort of organizations or programs I should look into, or any websites I should check out?

What kind of alcohol gets sold in a bottle that looks like a scientific beaker?
Spoiler :

I watched a couple of scenes from that BBC comedy show with Fry and Laurie, and both had what looked like a drink being poured from a beaker on a hot pad :crazyeye:

Look at the first video I linked to, you see it in the beginning fairly obviously.

I have a funeral to go to tomorrow. This is a new experience for me. Is there anything to say besides "my deepest sympathies" or "my deepest condolences"? I don't really want to be person #621 to walk up to the family tomorrow and say the exact same line. I hate saying predictable things, which is why I usually avoid "How are you" and the like. Any suggestions?

Why is it that when I reach the emotional part of a song or movie I've seen and heard many times, I yawn, quite literally, uncontrollably?

Every time I reach the parts that make me cry, my body forces a yawn instead of letting me shed tears of either sorrow or joy, and it's getting really frustrating. :mad:

As someone who drops a tear ridiculously easily, I wish I had your problem instead. :p

I still cry at the end of the Lion King, and I'm 26!!!

This is wedding season, and I'm looking to invest in some awesome wedding clothes, but nothing too pricey. What are some specific suggestions for looking good at a wedding?

- Nothing too pricey
- Gotta look good, but don't want to be a peacock
- Bow tie or standard neck tie?
- What type of shirt, what color shirt, what color tie?
Are you attending as a guest or as the groom? :p

If the latter, wear whatever your fiancee/her mom tells you to. :p

If the former... a medium-grey suit with a white or light-blue shirt would do. Tie depends on how formal/casual the wedding is; some guys even wear bolo ties to weddings. For the color, nothing too bright or dark. If the tie you choose is patterned, keep it simple and dignified.

I have a funeral to go to tomorrow. This is a new experience for me. Is there anything to say besides "my deepest sympathies" or "my deepest condolences"? I don't really want to be person #621 to walk up to the family tomorrow and say the exact same line. I hate saying predictable things, which is why I usually avoid "How are you" and the like. Any suggestions?
Whatever you say, make sure it's sincere. "My condolences" or "I'm sorry for your loss" is usually enough.

I'm not sure what the cause was, since I wasn't at the doctor's office when the diagnosis was given. All I know is that the pain began after the person lifted a heavy object up some stairs, and that the doctor gave some steroids to help the nerve heal. Hopefully it will heal quickly, because I am currently not enjoying the experience of living with a troll. (I hope the said person doesn't see this. :shifty:)
Yeah, probably a herniated disc, then. Were the steroids in pill form or did the troll in question have to go in for a cortisone shot?

Yeah, probably a herniated disc, then. Were the steroids in pill form or did the troll in question have to go in for a cortisone shot?
Pills. And so far, the troll isn't trolling as much now. Must have been one bad day.

I was thinking about the same question before my first funeral, and concluded it can't be done. Anything deviating from the usual lines only sounds as if you're avoiding to express your condolence, and this is really something I didn't want to be misunderstood about.

Being original shouldn't be the top priority on that occasion. As long as you're really sincere about it, it won't matter if you use the same line as the people before you.

What kind of alcohol gets sold in a bottle that looks like a scientific beaker?
Spoiler :

I watched a couple of scenes from that BBC comedy show with Fry and Laurie, and both had what looked like a drink being poured from a beaker on a hot pad :crazyeye:

Look at the first video I linked to, you see it in the beginning fairly obviously.

It looks like one of those whiskey jugs you keep in your drinks cabinet, not a brand sold in a bottle like that. Theres a better word than "jug" for it, but I'm at a loss right now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom