1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Maya - BBC Report

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by blackbutterfly, Feb 2, 2018.

1. blackbutterfly

blackbutterfly Chieftain

2. kaspergm

kaspergm Warlord

That's grossly misleading. I'm not saying that the article isn't interesting, but topic should be changed.

Returning Lurker likes this.
  3. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

Misleading title. While interesting, this has nothing to do with Civ 6.

pokiehl likes this.
  4. pokiehl

pokiehl Chieftain

Why is this posted here?

5. slyone14

slyone14 Chieftain

This has zero to do with civ 6, thread should honestly be closed, misleading

Japper007 and pokiehl like this.
  6. Ondolindë

Ondolindë Chieftain

Thanks, but yes, please do change the topic.

Having said that, with this, it would be crazy not to include them in the near future. Hopefully we get to understand more about the research being done and that informs how the Civ is depicted.

7. Greywulf

Greywulf Chieftain

8. blackbutterfly

blackbutterfly Chieftain

Sorry folks about misleading thread title. I changed it.
    I didn't see that.

I just read the news about The Maya discovery and thought to share it.

Mapuche is great but South America is a huge continent and is in dire need of more representation for TSL maps. It's almost as large as N. America in reality (the common map of the world betrays the actual size of many countries and continents as it too is a projection).

The BBC provide some food for thought on a Civ VI iteration of The Maya.

conorbebe likes this.
  9. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

Maya and Inca should definitely be in the next expansion pack. If they are not, I will be outside Firaxis headquarters with a Mayan Lives matter sign.

Havendish, slyone14 and Thormodr like this.
  10. slyone14

slyone14 Chieftain

Sounds fun, I'll join you!

11. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

12. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Warlord

I've always felt the Maya ought to be the default representative for the indigenous New World in Civ games, as the longest-lasting advanced society in the region despite their relatively small territory compared with groups like the Inca. Civ precedent aside, both should always make it in before the short-lived and comparatively insignificant Aztecs.

13. True_Candyman

True_Candyman Chieftain

Well firaxis have dropped a MASSIVE PR ball by not including the Maya in this xpac. I feel like a project of this scale should've been on someone's horizons at Firaxis, precisely so they could tie in with things like this...

14. blackbutterfly

blackbutterfly Chieftain

Well, on the plus side, Firaxis can account for these recent revelations about The Maya. The BBC article says they may have had a population 3x greater than previously thought. (So a UI or trait/bonus for housing perhaps?).

Also in Civ V and VI (so far) a true pyramid UI has been a missed opportunity. Yes, there is the Nubian Pyramid but in practice you rarely ever build a ton of those...besides they're rendered as a cluster of small pyramids.

I want a "7-storey high" Mayan pyramid! :D

15. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Warlord

There's the Sumerian ziggurat, and Mayan pyramids are in a ziggurat style.

The Khmer have been given a population growth bonus probably largely based on the LIDAR results a few years ago indicating how densely-populated the Angkor region was, and it seems that Angkor may not have been as atypical as supposed. The Guatemala project seems to be only the second large-scale investigation of a medieval urban civilisation in the tropics, and both have revealed higher than expected population densities.

16. blackbutterfly

blackbutterfly Chieftain

Oh, I forgot about the Ziggurat.

Also I suppose Firaxis kept the grandest looking pyramids as wonders - The Great Pyramids and Chichen Itza. Apart form other things, they aren't eliminated on conquest (b'cos they're wonders). Still, with the move to districts and 1-tile wonders in Civ VI I thought they would stick to UIs that are in geographical terms big. E.g: golf course, chateaux, sphinx. But then there are the smaller UIs like the Mapuche's UI :undecide:

Still, it would've been awesome if Egypt (or whoever) could have built pyramids as a UI.

17. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Warlord

This is just another example of "Everything you learned in school is now proven Wrong!" From the brief summary of their findings so far, it looks like the Mayans not only had a far greater population density, but they supported it by making a special effort to exploit swamp, marsh, and what in Civ terms would be Flood Plain terrain: stone platforms on which to build homes while farming the wet lowlands.
    Thus, perhaps a UI that is a Farm on Jungle, Marsh, and Floodplains that provides big Food increase and Housing beyond what your typical Farm gives, combined with a 'Mayan Unique' Monument or other City-Center building in the city itself reflecting the scientific (astronomical), cultural and political (Loyalty?) benefits from the Mayan Pyramids. Imagine a Mayan City Center in the game with a steep-sided Pyramid rising out of it!

It's a shame that Nubia is already in the game, or the next DLC could be:
    Mayans and Nubians - Pyramid Power!

conorbebe and Guandao like this.
  18. Manifold

Manifold ModderProtectionAdvocate

I get really keen to start a new game as Maya Civ.

19. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Warlord

There's already a Civ VI Mayan Civ Mod, but I suspect they may have to go back and redo it in the light of the new findings!

Manifold likes this.
  20. Manifold

Manifold ModderProtectionAdvocate

The new findings are very exiting but also a little bit hyped because only from the sky no one could say that all found infrastructures are from the same time period. But the hype is good for a lot of reasons.

Not only now but now more than ever the Maya should come to civ6 for sure.