The Maya Rises

fredrikslicer

Tailor
Many find the classical Maya to be very facinating and while I dont disagree the post-classical shows a rise from the ashes dynamic that I think is very exciting thus the following is the post-classical Maya with each leader representing a different state

Maya
(Post-classical)

UA: Mayan Collapse (Following the mayan collapse the mayan region began to spawn a myriad of warbands many who would help to reestablish the Maya but with heavy nauhtal influence)
During dark ages military units are built 25% Faster, Upon exiting dark ages:
Normal: Gain 1 inspirations and 1 eurecas
Heroic age: Gain 2 inspirations and 2 eurecas

UU: Macuahitlist (Adopted from the Aztecs this war club was the primary weapon of the maya in melee to distinguish them from the aztec eagle warrior I think they should have the two-handed variety)
Replaces swordsman, does not require Iron, Is cheaper to produce, Moves quicker in Jungles, Has a chance on hit to cut the targets movement in half

UB: Pyramid complex
Replaces holy site produces additional great engineer ponit per district building in temple complex

Ah Mekat Tutul Xiu (Founded the league of Mayapan)
ULA: Leauge war
- Gains a permenant casus belli against city states, any city state that follows your religion you gain an envoy for as long as it does.

The Great Unifier: hostile to city states with his religion outside of his suzerain

Tabascob (Last known king of Tabasco)
ULA: Gateway of Civilizations
- Cities adjecant to rivers and coasts build traders faster
- Commercial districts generates additional food when next to harbors or sea tiles

Chontal: Likes civs with foreign faith, dislikes mercantile city states

Qukumatz (A legendary ruler of Kiche some dispute over his existance exists but all the same)
ULA: The Three families
- Ahaw the Nima Kiche replaces Victor the Castellan

Governor abilities:
- Fortification gains aditional strength if connected to the capital by trade route

- Fund the Il'okab
Strategic resources boosts strength of your units within city limits per resource

- Patronize the Tamub
Trade routes from this city cannot be plundered

- Blood to Tohil
Any units killed within city limits generate faith relative to its strength

- Glorious death
Units in the city gain +15 strength when under siege

- Sacred combatants
Units in this city can be bought for faith, for every surrounding unit you get a discount

Naugal: Becomes a random personality of another ruler upon each game start

I'd like to Siyaj K'ak (Fire is Born) as a leader.

He was a warlord that conquered Tikal.

Would be a suitably aggressive leader for the Maya.

I'd like to Siyaj K'ak (Fire is Born) as a leader.

He was a warlord that conquered Tikal.

Would be a suitably aggressive leader for the Maya.

He does seem to be an intresting figure and the starting point to the mexicanization of the maya that would dominate the post-classic period

He does seem to be an intresting figure and the starting point to the mexicanization of the maya that would dominate the post-classic period

Yep, definitely very colorful. Where what we know about lots of Maya leaders really amounts to just a few glyphs on a stele, Siyaj K'ak stands out to me.

Would definitely be different from catch-all Pacal.

What about that female leader other were mentioning in forums what was her name ? smth with numbers lady 23rd ?!?!

Bonuses during Dark and Golden Ages are a great Idea for Maya. I hope the devs read this.

I also had the idea of a Pyramid Complex for the Maya, except it replaces both the Holy Site and the Campus (and provides the same adjecency bonuses as both). The player would have to choose between the religious or scientific buildings (which appear as Pyramids regardless of choice), but can't construct three of the same type in the same Pyramid Complex.

I would definitely support a Mayan Queen (Lady Six Sky is the best option I'm aware of), especially if they style her like this:

What about that female leader other were mentioning in forums what was her name ? smth with numbers lady 23rd ?!?!
K‘abel and Six Sky are nice options to lead the Maya. Hopefully, the Maya will get the Greece treatment and come with two leaders representing different cities/areas. If one is a late Maya ruler, all the better.

I‘d prefer it, if you couldn‘t tell the sex of a Maya ruler in the leader screen, actually. My kind of humor.

I‘d prefer it, if you couldn‘t tell the sex of a Maya ruler in the leader screen, actually. My kind of humor.

Yeah, Mayan ladies probably wont look like a "female" in our esthetic standard. You can always stare at the mammary organ to judge the gender I guess :p.

I guess, its a cultural thing to think someone as feminine or not. There were men who powdered and painted their faces, weares elaborate wigs, wore high heels in history anyway.

Many find the classical Maya to be very facinating and while I dont disagree the post-classical shows a rise from the ashes dynamic that I think is very exciting thus the following is the post-classical Maya with each leader representing a different state

Maya
(Post-classical)

UA: Mayan Collapse (Following the mayan collapse the mayan region began to spawn a myriad of warbands many who would help to reestablish the Maya but with heavy nauhtal influence)
During dark ages military units are built 25% Faster, Upon exiting dark ages:
Normal: Gain 1 inspirations and 1 eurecas
Heroic age: Gain 2 inspirations and 2 eurecas

Thats a great idea to harness the different eras. I really like the design.

Can we also have a religious bonus for Mayan? As they view the era cycle religiously. Maybe not added in the CUA part if it alreadt offers alot. Can we have it in a leader ability or something to get religious bonus upon the eureka + inspiration combo?

Bonuses during Dark and Golden Ages are a great Idea for Maya. I hope the devs read this.

I also had the idea of a Pyramid Complex for the Maya, except it replaces both the Holy Site and the Campus (and provides the same adjecency bonuses as both). The player would have to choose between the religious or scientific buildings (which appear as Pyramids regardless of choice), but can't construct three of the same type in the same Pyramid Complex.

I would definitely support a Mayan Queen (Lady Six Sky is the best option I'm aware of), especially if they style her like this:

Definitely Lady Six Sky.

Really cool idea for having some kind of bonus during Dark Ages as well.

Isn't our information about Six Sky limited though?

From what I can gather, her full name hasn't even been fully translated yet.

Isn't our information about Six Sky limited though?

From what I can gather, her full name hasn't even been fully translated yet.
She was one of the more impressive female leaders of the Maya. It would be nice to have a female leader for the Maya, especially since perhaps all of the other Native American civs will/have male leaders, and the Maya have some pretty cool options for female leaders (unlike, say the Inca).

Thats a great idea to harness the different eras. I really like the design.

Can we also have a religious bonus for Mayan? As they view the era cycle religiously. Maybe not added in the CUA part if it alreadt offers alot. Can we have it in a leader ability or something to get religious bonus upon the eureka + inspiration combo?

Sure I just picked ones appropriate for post-classical maya could look for someone more religously inclined

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Wac Kan Ahaw lead the Maya in CVI.
Either as DLC or 2nd expansion, the Mayans are more than assured to be included, right?

Either as DLC or 2nd expansion, the Mayans are more than assured to be included, right?

It's a toss-up. The Taino are a popular new civ in roughly the same region. On the one hand, the Maya are the least popular of the main three ancient American civs, so if Firaxis needed to make space for "new," the Maya would be the first to be cut. On the other hand, R&F has made it very clear, with 7 of 8 civs, that smaller civs with a strong history of remaining independent in the face of imperialism are great candidates for map fillers. The Yucatan revolt brings the Maya back into relevance as far as R&F is concerned.

So, it's a crapshoot. I wouldn't be disappointed with the Maya, although between Mexico, Navajo, Taino, and Colombia I'm kind of thirsting for new IP in that part of the world. Maybe if R&F sells well they will focus a few DLC packs in those regions. Cherokee/Navajo, Navajo/Mexico, Mexico/Maya, Maya/Taino, Taino/Colombia. Civ V Steam mods clearly show players would buy them, so I don't know why they wouldn't aside from production time.

Top Bottom