The Megathread for Football/Soccer

Qatar's win is the type of disgrace famously described by Didier Drogba. Qatar has nothing that a winning candidate should have. It is far too small. It has clearly won because most of the Fifa judges are third world kleptocrats who've taken big bribes and "hospitality". Obama and Cameron should both come out and make speeches denouncing the organization, pile the pressure onto these thieving parasites and make them earn their bribes.

+ they even have never qualified for the bloody thing......

Just watch, they are going to send out a bunch of scouts now to Africa to find as much good, young talent as they can in the next few years and "offer them citizenship" (i.e. buy them off)

Qatar? QATAR?!?!?!?!?

I mean, if the US had won, I'd be disappointed, but at least Australia would've been fairly beaten. But Qatar? I mean, come on! How much did those votes cost?

The bid accepted to Russia is okay, but not the one that I think should have been host, I think it should have gone to Belgium and Holland.

The biggest joke is the fact that it is going Qatar, but it seems that FIFA's legacy is not about football but the almighty dollar.

Sepp Blatter is the worst FIFA president ever.
Spoiler :
http://soccer-portal.org/cat/news/4788-qatar-2022-sepp-blatters-wallet-gets-fatter.html?utm_source=Lilywhites&utm_medium=FC
On Thursday, FIFA President Sepp Blatter announced the winning bids to host the 2018 and 2022 World Cups. I watched on as Russia were the first to celebrate their victory, having never previously hosted the prestigious tournament. Andrey Arshavin of Arsenal was the primary champion of the Russian bid, who made a deeply emotional speech to the committee on Wednesday. Though England was eliminated in the first round of voting, somewhat surprisingly, Russia is worthy of this honor in my eyes after looking over their football as a whole. The Russia Men’s National Team are almost always competitive in any tournament. Additionally, the Russian Premier League has made its impact known in some of the biggest European club tournaments like the Champion’s and Europa Leagues. The whole process of selection has been a bit bizarre, including the way the winning bids were announced simultaneously, as that has never happened previously. Russia will be a great home to international football’s greatest tournament, though many English football fans do not agree. English dissent is probably deserving, however FIFA saw it in football’s “best interest” to bring the tournament to Russia. So be it, now what about 2022? Moments later, after presenting awards to the Russian committee, Mr. Blatter moved along to what many Americans, including myself, had been waiting to hear.

The change in American soccer between the 2006 World Cup and now is stunning, and a potential announcement that the United States of America would be hosting the 2022 World Cup would serve to bolster that support of the program. There was something different about the World Cups in Germany and South Africa. There was a distinct feeling about the matches like had never been experienced in America before. Everywhere I went to watch the matches in those tournaments, the seats were packed and the crowds were frenzied. Walking into the Supermarket in a USA jersey even got me cheers, that was very much an abnormality. Partially driven by the increased availability of football on TV thanks to ESPN and Fox Soccer Channel, it was still something wholly different. This was an informed fan base, one that had been waiting anxiously since the elimination of the team at the hands of Ghana in 2006, and again in 2010.

Then, something inexplicable happened. Blatter opened the envelope and read the name of the winning bidders for 2022, Qatar. Excuse me? Did you say Qatar? How could this be? The United States hosting the 2022 World Cup was going to be the final step in the coming out party of American soccer, though it started years before. Qatar, the tiniest of nations with no real football history has been announced as the 2022 World Cup hosts today, and there could not be anything more unjust.

FIFA’s “primary” goal is the spread of football’s popularity world-wide, to reach as far across the globe as possible. Understood. But is taking the World Cup to a country whose Men’s National Team has NEVER qualified for the World Cup finals the best way to execute that plan? 2022 will be their first trip; how many points do you expect them to earn out of group play? Furthermore, decisions on the host country are based on various factors (outside of increasing the popularity of the game) including infrastructure, stadium availability, accessibility to those stadiums, security, climate, and many more. There is one airport in Qatar, Doha International Airport, which at the current moment would be unable to handle the increased volume of travel for the tournament. Sufficient roads are not constructed for the teams and their supporters. Of the 12 stadiums proposed for use in the bid, 9 of them still have yet to be built. In this desert country, temperature often reaches 110-120 degrees in the summer, when the World Cup will take place. The stadiums to built are apparently going to be air-conditioned, but that seems so far away when seeing the BIG picture of what needs to happen within the country before that time.

The United States hosted what turned out to be the most profitable and lucrative World Cup Finals in history, 1994. FIFA’s own team even concluded in a recent report that England and the United States would be the two most profitable locations for the tournament if they were to win their respective bids. So, this can’t be about money, right? After a long history of corruption and scandal, FIFA again proved to world football fans why they should not be trusted. This is not an indictment against the country of Qatar, but rather another example of how bizarre the FIFA proceedings have been from the beginning. When selecting a world cup venue, many things are taken into account. It seems that for 2022, cash may have been one of those factors. Since it is out of our hands now, American Soccer will just have to continue pushing along trying to improve its reputation is it has done successfully for the last several decades. But the blow it received today at the dirty hands of FIFA officials really hurts.

Just like Havelange, only old João didn't have an Internets to expose him.

As someone in a German forum said, let's hope Israel qualifies for a really 'explosive' tournament :lol:

That said, the general decline of the so called biggest tournament in the world will simply continue. On the other hand, maybe now Singapore will realize they have a chance to host the world cup too, just make sure you got enough moolah for Blatter.

well, for 2022, candidates were USA, Quatar, Japan, Korea and Australia...

It's quite well known that 2026 will go to China so Japan and Korea out

What? That doesnt' make sense. FIFA rotates the tournament between continents, and Qatar and China are both in Asia.

The choice of Russia I'm fine with. Picking Qatar is a complete joke of a decision. FIFA aren't even trying to look clean anymore.

Here's hoping the price of oil drops significantly before 2022.

What? That doesnt' make sense. FIFA rotates the tournament between continents, and Qatar and China are both in Asia.

The choice of Russia I'm fine with. Picking Qatar is a complete joke of a decision. FIFA aren't even trying to look clean anymore.

Here's hoping the price of oil drops significantly before 2022.

Almost everyone is fine with Russia...they regulary qualified to WC and Euro (even got to semi and finals)

about the continent thing, FIFA itself said it would stop (because europe has to get it more than 1 time every 20 years)
Qatar (why is there no "u" after the "Q"? that's just so wrong!) is in the "arabic world" whereas china is in the "east asia world"...Asia surely is a big continent

Except Qatar and FIFA, almost everyone feel the same: that's just so wrong!
The good choice would have been to give it directly to china in 2022 and 2026 would have been in europe (england surely will have it in 2030)

Where will Russia be hosting matches? Entirely in the west of the country or will they be spread out across the entire country. Vladivostok surely qualifies as an Asian city.

All in the West. The most Eastern city should be Yekaterinburg.

http://www.npr.org/2010/12/02/131761839/FIFA-Faces-Growing-Corruption-Allegations?sc=fb&cc=me

Spoiler :
Copyright © 2010 National Public Radio®. For personal, noncommercial use only. See Terms of Use. For other uses, prior permission required.

ROBERT SIEGEL, host:

For more now on FIFA's announcement today, we're joined a day early by Stefan Fatsis, our regular sports contributor. Hi, Stefan.

STEFAN FATSIS: Hey, Robert.

SIEGEL: And to say that FIFA is operating under a cloud of scandal would be a great understatement here. I want you to give us some background on the controversy surrounding the international soccer body.

FATSIS: There have been persistent allegations and corruption involving FIFA, not just in this bidding process, but historically. And for starters, in this campaign, you had two members of the 24-member FIFA executive committee wound up not voting on these bids today. Two of them from Nigeria and Tahiti were suspended after they were caught on tape by reporters from the Times of London who were posing as lobbyists for United States business interests. These guys were offering to sell their World Cup votes.

The Times also got on tape a former FIFA official telling them which voters could be bribed. There were reports of collusion among countries involved in the voting and there was spending that was clearly designed to influence votes. So one example, Qatar sponsored the meeting of the African Soccer Confederation this year, at which Qatar was the only bidder allowed to make a presentation to the African delegates. A Swiss anti-corruption group called for the World Cup voting to be postponed, which obviously and not surprisingly, didn't happen.

SIEGEL: Let's hear more about Qatar defeating the U.S. with the right to host the 2022 World Cup. This is a country, Qatar, where in the summer it's going to be 130 degrees. And the country is promising to build a number of air-conditioned, open-air stadiums. That sounds like a pretty tough sell.

FATSIS: Yeah. These are - they're actually beautiful architecture. I've looked at some of the renderings of these potential stadiums. I mean, great, if you're inside the stadium, but what about when you're outside the stadium?

And let's look at Qatar more broadly. I mean this is a country that is smaller than Connecticut. It's got 800-and-something thousand people, total population. The State Department, in one of those WikiLeaks cables from last December, called Qatar the worst in the region in counterterrorism efforts.

And this is not exactly a soccer country. Qatar is ranked 113th in the world in the global soccer rankings. And while FIFA talks a lot about, you know, spreading the game to parts of the globe where it isn't popular, you do have to wonder when it comes to this kind of a decision why you would go someplace so small where soccer isn't that important.

SIEGEL: And, yet, their bid, which I gather had not been rated that high, technically by FIFA...

FATSIS: No, it was not.

SIEGEL: It prevailed over the U.S. bid, which was rated rather high by FIFA.

FATSIS: It was. And in practical terms, that's why this is so shocking. The United States bid was what these global sports organizations say they want. Stadiums are already built, infrastructure is in place, you have political support, giant TV rights. The United States promised to sell five million tickets to this World Cup in 2022, which would be a record by far.

And there's the global soccer culture, which FIFA for many years has talked about expanding to a point where the United States is a power worldwide. But ultimately it's not about practicality, it's about politics.

SIEGEL: Thank you, Stefan.

FATSIS: Thank you, Robert.

SIEGEL: Stefan Fatsis, who talks with us about sports, usually on Friday, talking this Thursday about the World Cup selections for 2018 and 2022.

This is insanity. It's more than a little sprinkling of corruption, it is massive incredible corruption that could lead to people's deaths.

It already has, lad. Just not in the USA.

Not so illogical that Quatar get it when you analyse it (especially the Zidane part)

What the heck does Zidane have that would carry more than half of the votes of the delegates?

Money, as Platini's contact, perhaps? Just a wild guess.

I think the flow of cash would have taken place more in the opposite direction. ;)

about the continent thing, FIFA itself said it would stop (because europe has to get it more than 1 time every 20 years)
Qatar (why is there no "u" after the "Q"? that's just so wrong!) is in the "arabic world" whereas china is in the "east asia world"...Asia surely is a big continent

Fair enough, though I don't agree that Europe should get more WCs than everybody else.

Except Qatar and FIFA, almost everyone feel the same: that's just so wrong!
The good choice would have been to give it directly to china in 2022 and 2026 would have been in europe (england surely will have it in 2030)

Better choice would've been to just not give it to freaking Qatar.

Where will Russia be hosting matches? Entirely in the west of the country or will they be spread out across the entire country. Vladivostok surely qualifies as an Asian city.

I actually rather hope Vladivostok gets games, if only so, as a SE Asian, I can go to a few.

Top Bottom