The Megathread for Football/Soccer

I actually rather hope Vladivostok gets games, if only so, as a SE Asian, I can go to a few.

All the venues will be in Europe 'cept Yekaterinburg, which is virtually in Europe:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia_2018_FIFA_World_Cup_bid#Venues
It is a shame that places like Novosibirsk, Vladivostok and Irkutsk aren't getting games, whereas Podolsk and Saransk are (though Saransk should be interesting because it is in Mordovia, an ethnic region most people have never heard of). World Cup 1994 required distances as vast, and it wasn't a big deal, though 85-90% of Russia's population is in Europe, representing a different demographic balance from US east coast/west coast.

All the venues will be in Europe 'cept Yekaterinburg, which is virtually in Europe:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia_2018_FIFA_World_Cup_bid#Venues
It is a shame that places like Novosibirsk, Vladivostok and Irkutsk aren't getting games, whereas Podolsk and Saransk are (though Saransk should be interesting because it is in Mordovia, an ethnic region most people have never heard of). World Cup 1994 required distances as vast, and it wasn't a big deal, though 85-90% of Russia's population is in Europe, representing a different demographic balance from US east coast/west coast.

Errr... not sure about that bit in bold. Vladivostok to Moscow/St Peterburg is a far longer distance than the cross country US trip.

Not saying it'd be a huge problem, but I do understand why they've clustered the games in the European region. Bit disappointed, but what can you do?

Come to think of it, a few games in Vladivostok would've been a good way to gauge Chinese interest in the World Cup, as it's near the Chinese border.

Errr... not sure about that bit in bold. Vladivostok to Moscow/St Peterburg is a far longer distance than the cross country US trip.

It's longer, but you can't say Boston to L.A. is fine because it's the USA, but because it's Russia so Vladivostok is too far away. This is just nonsense.Vladivostok fans have a right to go to world cup games too, and it is close to Korea and Japan, meaning shorter trips for them. The US bid was proposing longer distances that the Russian bid anyway, Seattle to Miami ...

The US bid was proposing longer distances that the Russian bid anyway, Seattle to Miami ...

Yeah, but you're that bit more sure that you'll actually get there on the American aircraft. ;)

Russia had a reasonable bid and claim, no doubt, but the English bid was completely derailed by the politics of it all. (Allegedly, two (?) supporters of the Russian bid voted Netherlands-Belgium in the first round to try to ensure England was eliminated. Allegedly.)

Qatar is a complete joke by almost any sensible criteria. They certainly win if the ability to make "investments" in other nations is concerned.

What does that mean?
A few hooligans who were employed as the retinue of the mafia kingpins FIFA Executive Committee died in clashes in South Africa, it hasn't been

Not saying it'd be a huge problem, but I do understand why they've clustered the games in the European region. Bit disappointed, but what can you do?

Come to think of it, a few games in Vladivostok would've been a good way to gauge Chinese interest in the World Cup, as it's near the Chinese border.
So the Chinese can use a WC of their own to showcase their military and economic power? Not on your nelly. We had enough with the Games in 2008.
Yeah, but you're that bit more sure that you'll actually get there on the American aircraft. ;)
Then take a United Airlines flight from Moscow to LA and thence to Vladivostok!!
Lambert Simnel said:
Russia had a reasonable bid and claim, no doubt, but the English bid was completely derailed by the politics of it all. (Allegedly, two (?) supporters of the Russian bid voted Netherlands-Belgium in the first round to try to ensure England was eliminated. Allegedly.)

Qatar is a complete joke by almost any sensible criteria. They certainly win if the ability to make "investments" in other nations is concerned.
Donating stadia… roflmao!

It's longer, but you can't say Boston to L.A. is fine because it's the USA, but because it's Russia so Vladivostok is too far away.

Their being in the same country doesn't actually matter to me. I was just saying that the distances in WC 94 don't come near what Moscow-Vladivostok would be.

This is just nonsense.Vladivostok fans have a right to go to world cup games too, and it is close to Korea and Japan, meaning shorter trips for them.

I agree, though as most of the population is IIRC concentrated in the west, I do see why they made their decision. I don't agree with it, but what can you do?

So the Chinese can use a WC of their own to showcase their military and economic power? Not on your nelly. We had enough with the Games in 2008.

Eh, someone else brought up China getting a cup. Not like Qatar's getting the cup is much better.

Eh, someone else brought up China getting a cup. Not like Qatar's getting the cup is much better.

That would be me, and i assume that in France (and mostly in Europe), China 2026 is a given...
I remember seing interviews of english FA representatives being desperate because they couldn't see the WC in england before 2030...

The WC in china is far less a joke than Qatar: more than 1 billion people, they already qualified for several WC, they have some players in Europe...

isreal has already been mentioned, but what would actually happen if they qualify, isnt just having an isreal stamp in your passport enough to be refused entry to qatar, but surely they cant turn a team and its fans away

Never mind the cultural and ethnic genocide by the Chinese government then.

That would be me, and i assume that in France (and mostly in Europe), China 2026 is a given...
I remember seing interviews of english FA representatives being desperate because they couldn't see the WC in england before 2030...

The WC in china is far less a joke than Qatar: more than 1 billion people, they already qualified for several WC, they have some players in Europe...

According to the current rules the last two host confederations are ineligible to bid for the World Cup. That means that China cannot host it in 2026 or 2030.

…which is another country with 100% transparent elections, no desire to showcase glory and no corruption allegations.

h'eung yau isn't real corruption, they'll probably say

Yes but China is an openly genocidical population relocational state as well as an expansionist world power.

Oh, I agree. China have as good a case as anyone.

Never mind the cultural and ethnic genocide by the Chinese government then.

Effectively, yes.

meaning that 2026 will go to south or north america, africa or Oceania?
I bet it will be China...

I'm hoping for Australia, but would rather like to see a Chinese WC.

isreal has already been mentioned, but what would actually happen if they qualify, isnt just having an isreal stamp in your passport enough to be refused entry to qatar, but surely they cant turn a team and its fans away

They've claimed they'll let them in if Israel qualify. I'm also interested in what happens if Israel doesn't qualify: will Israeli fans still be able to watch games anyway?

Also, rumour has it that the Qataris are pushing to have the tournament held in January, when the heat isn't as bad. Never mind that it'd disrupt the global football calendar and that one of the conditions of the bidding was that the tournament be held in the summer.

And another suggestion being mooted is playing nothing but night games.

The games will be a joke.

I assume that the award of 2018 to Russia means that FIFA's "Say no to racism" is more a matter of political necessity as a slogan, rather than any sort of driving principle ?

Qatar is not a country of 1.5 million people as I read everywhere. It is a country of 250,000 Qatari citizens and 1.250 million slaves.

And in talking about "slavery", I don't exagerate:
- Qataris go in South Asia and lie to people in promising them big wages for their families.
- Pakistanese and Indian workers severely endebt themselves to pay $2,000 in the plane ticket and visa rights.
- Once in Qatar, their owner steals their passport, and finally pay them only $100 a month (remember they have $2,000 to pay back).
- They cannot flee, they have no legal rights at all and no passport, female slaves from the Philippines can be sexually abused with no restriction.
- They have to work 6 days a week, at a temperature of 50°C. The working sites death rate is huge, and the suicide rate is too.
- They have no freedom of movement. They can only go from the working site to the sleeping camp. Of course, they cannot shower, eat only soup and bread, drink badly desalinated water and sleep in rooms of 50 people.

Generally, people accept that in thinking "they are always better than in their shantytowns" but this isn't even true. Qataris lie in order to import them.

Is this really what FIFA sponsor ? I remember a long time ago FIFA banned South Africa because of the apartheid, and now, they give the world cup to a country being a charicature of the worst aspects of globalisation.

And by the way, Qatar isn't even a real country, it only host a single mid-size town: Doha, with a population of.... 250,000 citizens!

According to Blatter's recent statement, the world cup could be set up in february, and Bahrain, Kuwait and the UAE could even host world cup games. That means FIFA doesn't even respect the other bidders in changing everything after the decision is taken!

I wouldn't even be surprised that, in the end, the national teams of all those Gulf neighbours are "invited" to participate to the event. I mean this isn't sport business... there's no sport at all remaining.

Well, Mr. Grondona of the AFA was asked point-blank by a journalist whether he had taken any bribes for his vote and he only answered 'oh but I'm too old, I don't need the money anymore…' No denial!

The Qatari WC will be much more controversial (even in 12 years) than the Olympics in Pekin...

The only problem with Pekin 2008 was the human rights issue that some people find important compared to the olympic spirit. There was no contestation about the size, the economic (economical? never knew which one to use) aspect of the biding.
and noone remember Berlin 36, Moscow 80 and some others "human righted" biding in history.
Even for the world cup, there has been controversial biding: Italy 34, Argentina 78 so Russia 2018 doesn't bother me that much...
But Qatar?

Top Bottom