The Megathread for Football/Soccer

Sky Sports and some other sites are reporting Benitez's sacking as fact now. Personally, I feel bad for him, just didn't work out at Inter. Considering the state of Hodgson I honestly wouldn't mind if Rafa was reappointed Liverpool boss. Desperate times.

Rafa has been finally thrown out, once and for all. Poor man…

Folks, have you followed how it played out? Benitez more or less forced Moratti's hand.

Who wouldn't in his place? If Moratti wanted absolute allegiance then he might as well have taken the reins himself.

Benitez probably thinks he is valued as a manager for his two league titles at Valencia, and taking a (frankly) second-rate Liverpool squad to the Champions League title. But the owners of the very top clubs are going to look at the way Liverpool fell apart (and that was once they were genuinely Benitez' team), and how poor Inter look this season after winning everything a year before.

He may end up sitting at home, waiting for Liverpool, Bayern or Juventus to call, when he's only going to attract interest from the likes of Blackburn Rovers.

If he is prepared to wait then a bigger club than Blackburn will still hire him because of the past achievements and Inter didn't really give him a chance. Its always going to be difficult to follow someone who has just won the treble and then he was only given half a season. I do agree though that he comes across as a pretty bad manager given his signings at Liverpool and the facts rant.

And who replaced him: Leonardo!?

another backstab between the tow milanese archrivals.

Germany-Italy 1-1

Phew. I actually got a bit afraid there.

Messi 1 - 1 Ronaldo.

Best game today was clearly Croatia 4 - 2 Czech Republic, including Cech's blunder :rotfl:

Also, Dubliiinnn!!!! :banana:

Germany-Italy 1-1

Phew. I actually got a bit afraid there.
I only watched the second half. From my point of view, the whole crisis talk concerning the Italian national side is waaaay overblown. Fewer big names but still some quite talented player. If they can build a strong team spirit over time, Italy will be a dangerous side, much like they always were.

Thanks for the encouraging words, but while our team just underwent major renewal and isn't yet very cohesive it was painfully evident that our midfield was unable to support the attack adequately. And what about the defensive fiascos? Without Saint Buffon we'd have been submerged.
Now Germany is surely shaping up very well: they find each other like a club, play with quality and maneuvre shrewdly. A whiff of ambition would perhaps have won this game: Oezil and Müller are deadly weapons, insisting to keep us "in the ropes" could have landed the KO blow.

well, there was a game in 1992 where france lost to Brazil...

I don't know how it is presented in Brazil, but, in France, everyone's going: "well, Brazil got reduced to 10 players, but France did a good game anyway..." and "Benzema is fantastic, Gourcuff is a poor player at the moment" when i'm thinking totally the opposite: Gourcuff had a great impact on the field and would had a bigger one if Benzema hadn't spoiled at least 3 goals occasions that gourcuff offered to him...

In France, sports journalists are [insert whatever word that is legal on the forum]!!!

Another bump!

Portuguese teams are doing great on Europa League. Braga even defeated Liverpool.

The Portuguese league is settled. Porto will win. Benfica, the 2nd placed, tied against the last placed, Portimonense, and the difference between. Nuno Gomes, despite being 34 and having a value smaller than 1 million, could do what the other International stars like Saviola and Aimar didn't: score.

Top Bottom