The mid to end game of Civ6 is so bland

So I started playing Pangaea maps with a hugely increased number of civs. On a Large map, for example, I've had 2 exciting games in a row with 16 Civs instead of just 10. My next game, I may raise that to 20, fully double. It becomes a mosh-pit almost immediately, and any civ that doesn't defend itself gets taken over without remorse. I mean, hey, at least that's kind of historically accurate. :lol:
An update: First, it turns out a Large map will only support 16 Civs, so no 20-Civs game.

Second, my wacky start settings only delayed the inevitable. [France, Emperor, Pangaea, Large, Epic, 16 Civs and 16 City-States]
It started off well. More than half of the city-states got clobbered quickly. There was a chain of islands with room for 6 cities that the AI didn't touch. Not one of them put a city there, I put 6 cities there myself. Then, roundabout Turn 400 of 750, I steamrolled my pathetic neighbor who practically begged me to kill him. So not even 2/3 of the way through the game, I've got 20 cities, I'm leading in everything except Religion, and I'll bet the $12 in my wallet that the AI won't lift a finger to stop me the rest of the game. I don't even think I'll bother getting to the end. Oh, well. It was fun for about 400 turns, at any rate. That ain't nothin', but my suggestions above evidently do nothing to address the mid-end-game problem that was the point of this thread.

Last edited:
An update: First, it turns out a Large map will only support 16 Civs, so no 20-Civs game.

Second, my wacky start settings only delayed the inevitable. [France, Emperor, Pangaea, Large, Epic, 16 Civs and 16 City-States]
It started off well. More than half of the city-states got clobbered quickly. There was a chain of islands with room for 6 cities that the AI didn't touch. Not one of them put a city there, I put 6 cities there myself. Then, roundabout Turn 400 of 750, I steamrolled my pathetic neighbor who practically begged me to kill him. So not even 2/3 of the way through the game, I've got 20 cities, I'm leading in everything except Religion, and I'll bet the $12 in my wallet that the AI won't lift a finger to stop me the rest of the game. I don't even think I'll bother getting to the end. Oh, well. It was fun for about 400 turns, at any rate. That ain't nothin', but my suggestions above evidently do nothing to address the mid-end-game problem that was the point of this thread.

I've been doing a similar thing, albeit on small maps with max civs and extra city states. Moved up one difficulty higher than before, and played as Germany thinking that would guarantee that I would be behind in the early game and would have an interesting mid/late game.

I quit once I had my first Hansa online because I already had vastly more science and culture than everyone else, and it was clear that my lead was only going to carry on growing. I'd barely even used any of my civs uniques at that point!

I really want to figure out how planes work and if they need balancing for my mod, but I literally cannot find a way to make myself play that late.

Top Bottom