1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Modiquette

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by The_J, Feb 27, 2012.

1. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Introduction

This modiquette is the compilation of all the unwritten rules, which the modders here have essentially followed already. They show the essential spirit of this community, to help one another develop and enjoy the Civilization game. If you want to be a good member of this community, then please follow them too.

The Modiquette
    1. When you upload content, you automatically grant permission for it to be used by all members of this community.
    2. Therefore no permission is required to use content that is uploaded.
    3. However, the modder should give credit for any content used in their mod.
    4. If you identify another modder's content being used in a mod, notify the mod's modder.
    5. If someone notifies you about another modder's non-credited content, you should then add the credit.
    6. If you modify the game's source code or another modder's source code, you should release the new source code as part of your mod.
    Background on permissions, credits and source code

And since I have to be a good role model here:
    Credits for formatting and suggestions go to kiwitt, as well as to everyone else who contributed to the discussion here.

2. Voyhkah

Voyhkah Political Activist

I'm really glad someone thought of this. It sould really help new people. :goodjob:

And more importantly,

FIRST POST! :D:)

3. stolenrays

stolenrays Chieftain

4. The_J

I guess everyone who releases something with code does also comment it...or not?

5. Asaf

Asaf Sleep Deprived

You can use diff viewers (such as winmerge).
    It would be polite, but I don't see it as a requirement, as it can take too much extra work.
    It's along the lines of 'writing clear code' or 'post screenshots of your mod', so I don't think it should be added.

6. stolenrays

stolenrays Chieftain

7. The_J

While I don't disagree with Asaf, I still added a short comment to the modified code section. Not a big deal in either way imho.

Really :ack:?
    I mean...okay, in my mod there's also uncommented code, but that was really never meant to be reused, especially since most of it doesn't make sense in another context, but the wortwhile stuff was released as mod components with comments.
    Because...why release something for merging, but don't comment the code? Doesn't really make any sense.

8. stolenrays

stolenrays Chieftain

9. Linkman226

Linkman226 #anarchy

Thank you for making this. I was actually thinking of writing one myself towards late 2011 after seeing some very rude behavior from certain individuals, but abandoned the idea.

10. thadian

thadian Kami of Awakened Dreamers

Welcome to my sig - and yes, place it in the civ5 mod forum as well. Different age, same message.

11. The_J

Nobody in the thread where I mentioned it picked it up, so I'm not really sure if it's really needed :dunno:.
    Because I don't want to force a netiquette on a community which does not want it.
    (I'm not really in the community there, so I can't really say that :dunno:)

12. thadian

but your not forcing it - rather giving a mention to consider it as a guideline. Not a "rule" but a "suggestion". To be honest, Civ 5 modders have a sense of integrity as-is. Look at the skyrim mods, you will see all kinds of controversy over copy-cat mods and code being replicated without consent.

Civ5 is nicely refreshing without that migraine so i understand not wanting to introduce it by mention. It is nice to at least have it around to spread Ethos in regards to the subject of cloning code. Ethos is not a rule, just a means of conduct to promote a good environment.

And in the unique way modders do clone code and build on each others work, there is a peer review involved by default in the community. All of these are of course, positive.

Cheers.

13. The_J

That might be the community as a whole, because I've heard that it's like that since Morrowind, and here it has been like that...er...I think forever.

Like said, I think if someone was interested, they'd have picked it up.

...okay...I think I can open a thread asking if someone's interested in it in the next days :).

14. Androrc the Orc

Androrc the Orc Chieftain

These are great guidelines. Could they be posted as a sticky in the Civ4Col forums as well?

15. The_J

mmhh...I'll post tomorrow threads in both Civ5 and Civ4:Col to ask for opinions.

16. constantinople

constantinople not Istanbul

I am glad this thread was posted; some of this stuff seems obvious but that's just my perspective.

17. thadian

a long-standing classic thread indeed.

18. Writing Bull

Writing Bull Chieftain

There are several threads for this topic. I hope this here is the right one. ;)

I'm the coordinator of the TAC project-team. We have created and presented two large mods for Colonization named TAC and Werewolves.

Sorry, but we cannot agree to these two declarations. I understand the intended purpose, and I like it. But we cannot give the people, who download our mods, the right to use the content completely free. Why not? Because we are not allowed to do that.

We have created a lot of artwork kindly supported by artists who are not members of the modding-community of Civilization or Colonization. Especially we have using graphic art from cgtextures.com and music from jamendo.com. These internet platforms have their own rules for using their content. Our ingame-credits advise our users and other modders of that. We are not allowed to change these rules. We cannot permit to use our stuff in a way which harms the copyright-rules of other creators.

19. The_J

The correct thread for the current discussion is this one here.
    Please note the changed proposal here.