The Mongol Horde: An Early Conquest Succession Game

Looks like it's working.

Preturn - Utica elvis to prevent riot. Cease fire and demand tribute from Carths, denied. Barracks sold in Bokhara, Karakorum, Tsingtao. Nearly complete distant crusaders changed to caravans.
Interturn - Barbs near Neapolis.
Turn 1 - 220AD - Barracks built and sold in Milan, Basra, Trondheim. Disorder in Madrid. Ele at Neapolis nearly kills barb legion, but dies trying. 76g rush dip in Carthage.
Interturn - Disorder in Bergen, Hamburg. I need to play more carefully, even when it's a sure thing.
Turn 2 - 240AD - Barracks built and sold in Shangtu, Canton. Malaca bought for 207g, 98g instant rebate and a bonus phalanx. Pisa founded near Ghent. Barb legion destroyed.
Interturn - Disorder in Salamis from growth.
Turn 3 - 260AD - Barracks built and sold in Khorasan, Nanking. Polite request for tribute again denied, elephant destroys a phalanx in Panormus. Caralis revolts for 192g, 99g refund with an archer and legion thrown in. Hut>25g. Diplomat, elephant, 2 crusaders in striking range of undefended Panormus, which is the last Carth city.
Interturn - Attack animation at Panormus, couldn't tell what was happening but our troops are still in place. Disorder in Caralis, Malaca - growth.
Turn 4 - 280AD - Barracks built and sold in Shanghai, sold in Turin. Panormus revolts for 88g, ending Carthage. 100g rebate and a 60g granary looted. Barb leader captured for 150g.

1259g left in the treasury. 25 crusaders, 10 dips left over.

"Upload of file failed" says the forum.

Only 3 Carth cities left. There are two dips to the north of those cities (1 on trireme and one which can enter trireme next turn). Units are also heading to the last cities.
I guess it should be possible to win within 5 turns.

Looks good. I haven't had time to analyze this turnset much, but can't imagine it could've been played much better than this. I agree that we should win in 5 more turns. I guess Magic is planning to send a dip from Malaca to Panormus by land ? There is some risk it will be blocked, but with only one city left, the Carths shouldn't have many units left, and the odds seem good.

I may be busy for a week, so here are my congratulations and a few concluding remarks, hopefully not premature;

A 300 AD finish is excellent at Diety. I think our map was fairly average in difficulty; the terrain was OK; the sea routes were a bit twisted, but not unusual. We faced early city walls, but had good luck against them. We lost track of a couple of AI cities, but found both of them quickly.

Could we have done better - eg, faster ? Probably, if we could've predicted that the Carths would be last, and RB'd a bit more / earlier there. I'll take some blame; I was too worried about the Vikings after we lost our settler, and I viewed the Carths as fairly routine. On the other hand, Magic finished off three other civs after 100AD, so it's very unlikely we could've found a way to finish before 200AD.

On the whole, a very well-played game! :goodjob:

Just noticed mackerel's effiicient finish. Again, nice work ! :goodjob:

Now for the next succession game...

I have 4 suggestions.
1. Play a D+1 game. I'm still not sure if early Republic or robust Monarchy+HG is the best option. I've tried the second one and the main difficulty is getting HG (as first wonder) and getting cities to stay at size 1-2.
2. Play a Deity early landing game. I could use some practice with that (as a matter of fact, I have never tried an EL game)
3. Play on Deity on the Europe map, default locations, as the Americans. Problem: No room for many cities.
4. (by far the craziest) Play a Deity OCC until we discover all possible techs and Future Tech 1. Then we need to conquer the world before someone else's spaceship lands... I say we dump the ''one city restriction'' after we discover FT1 if it's too hard to win by conquest pure OCC style.

Of your suggestions, I would prefer either the D+1 game or the Europe game. An EL game would also be interesting, but I'd prefer to play something else first. I don't think OCC lends itself very well to succession game format.

We could also play a perfectionist game (limit ourselves to, say, 15 cities) or we could play a game where we never leave our home continent (or build MPE) until we build a spaceship.

For some reason I have a desire to play a more perfectionist game this time around (hence my suggestions). My next preference would be the D+1 game, in order to increase the difficulty level a bit.

Regarding D+1, I've only played it a couple times, but I think the best strategy is to play it like a harder deity level, as opposed to working out a different strategy type.

When I click, it asks me to log on to my Google account... was not needed for the other save.

EDIT: Magic's 2nd link works. I get the dl prompt.

2nd edit: To answer Professor's Question: I honestly don't care which game will be played. I don't have any preferences whatsoever.

The new link works for me as well.

Does anyone else have any preferences for what we play next, or at least something they would rather not play? This also includes anyone out there who would like to join our group.

Top Bottom