The Mongol Horde!!

BenchBreaker

Warlord
Mongolia is one of the easiest civs to do domination with, especially on Pangaea

Mongols dont have an unique combat unit(UU), but their unique ability(UA) gives the skimisher line (mounted ranged units) +2 movement and ignores zone of control(ZoC), this may not seem like much but it is actually amazing because it basically means your units can come and go as they please and nobody can stop you, not even ZoC trapping will work on you, basically, when you are on the offensive(and you should be often as mongols) your units shouldn't ever die, as you just shoot the fallback without ever taking damage, 6 moves allows much flexibility even in rough terrain. Also, your UA works all the way up to helicopters where as other civs UU's will eventually become obsolete.

your UA also allows you to annex city states if you can levy heavy tribute, whilst also gaining golden age points(GAP) and culture from it which comes really handy early game

The first tech you should research is animal husbandry which reveals HORSES!! they are KEY to your conquest, grab as many of them as you can. if there are horses outside your capital then you should research pottery and grab the horses asap, if the horses are within nearby city states then get trapping and bronze working cos it's time for some bullying, if there are no horses within sight then explore like a madman to find those horses. If there are really no horses, which would be very rare then you might want to restart and check strategic balance.

So if all went well and you got yourself some horses and got yourself the authority opener use all your horses on chariot archers and start hunting barbs, with 6 moves you will be the first to the camps. always work in teams of 2 chariots as you cannot kill the defender and take a camp in the same turn with 1 chariot.

Get your culture rolling by barb hunting and once you earn enough to get dominance start beating on nearby city states with the best resources folr science (the order is horses-> lux -> cows/sheep -> others) kill all their units for science/culture. If there are a few city states around you dont really need to build that many settlers since city states have at least 1 luxury and are usually in good locations. whilst you are kill cs units, you might want to grab the is statue of Zeus, which is the only wonder you really want. once a city state's units are dead, put your army next to it and declare peace->ask tribute->annex.

This gets easier with skimishers as you can grind down the city states hp and kill the garrison, which is hard to do with chariots and spearman. So beeline to trade and mathematics since you really need gold and skirmishers to actually take the cities

once you have skirmishers, their move after shoot ability allows you to grind down the city states hp without receiving any damage. you can grind down the hp for exp if you want, depending on circumstance. Use shoot and fallback tactic and stay out of range of the city, which is only 1 in the early game. when you had enough annex the city state.

Keep doing the same thing and aim to get for physics quickly for heavy skimishers, which rapes all classic era units. for your 2nd policy tree if you have a religion then pick piety, statecraft is not useful as you are killing city states rather than allying them, and aesthetics isnt that useful either since you wont be going for a culture victory, so if you dont have a religion progress is actually a good pick since the % bonus on buildings scales, with both progress and authority your new and conquered cities can get their buildings up in crazy speed.

Hopefully now you have killed a couple of city states and one of two major civs, dont forget to bring along a horseman/knight to take AI cities, which you didnt need to annex city states. your skimishers should be stacking tons of exp since they never die and once they get to lvl5 for the extra range then lvl6 for the double attack your conquest becomes much easier.

Next beeline to metallurgy for curassiers and if the AI is not in late industrial/early mordern it's pretty much gg. with 8-10 full upgraded curassiers cities will fall in 1 or 2 turns without anything they can do about it, even awkard cities surronded by mountains with only 1 hex to attack with is no problem because your units can take position-> shoot->clear position for the next guy to shoot, kinda reminds me of a certain genre of videos where a bunch of guys take their turns to shoot :lol: (some even twice :eek2:)

The 3rd tree dont really matter which you pick, personally the times I played the game is pretty much over by that time, so just do whatever you fancy and continue your conquest and kill everybody!

I haven't gotten a chance to play Mongolia in CBP- how difficult is it to do the "annex via tribute"? Do you have to move a large army near the CSs's borders to do it? Do you need to be near the top of the world wide military score? What if the CS has some pledges of protection?

I have never been able to annex a CS in the early game, but I play on Immortal most of the time. Occasionally I move down to Emperor or up to Deity. I think this is barely doable on Emperor.

I have never been able to annex a CS in the early game, but I play on Immortal most of the time. Occasionally I move down to Emperor or up to Deity. I think this is barely doable on Emperor.

Does anybody know the criterion for successfully demanding heavy tribute? I don't know enough to dig through the code and find out :blush:

Does anybody know the criterion for successfully demanding heavy tribute? I don't know enough to dig through the code and find out :blush:

Been a while since I looked at it, but last I remember it was

Base CS Tribute: 150
Heavy Tribute Bonus: +50

So 200 base resistance
Some other stuff like, if they have a Pledge of Protection, if they're militaristic/hostile, if you have a high relationship with them. can add about 10-25 points each. You can see by hovering over it in the menu after you select to demand tribute.

You get 2 modifiers going for you
Your overall military ranking in the demographics (how many soldiers you have compared to everyone else), can add up to +100 points. And how many military units you have near the CS (this has always been a bit buggy for me), but I believe it's supposed to be something like +10 per military unit, I don't know exactly where you have to have the units.

That's the gist of it.
But regardless, yes I have also found it quite hard on Emperor, and even on King to demand heavy tribute early on. It sounds like a cool idea on paper, but not very practical in my experience.

If you kill the CS units they will give in to heavy demands after you make peace if you have a reasonable army next to it. Even the AI generally does that before tribute-annexes the CS.

If you kill the CS units they will give in to heavy demands after you make peace if you have a reasonable army next to it. Even the AI generally does that before tribute-annexes the CS.

Yep. This is the intended method – think of it as part of your peace deal.

G

Would it be possible to create more "tiers" of tributes? Like light, medium, heavy, etc.?

Ah, ok. That makes sense.

Next question- what are the consequences for declaring wars on CSs? It's been a while since I've DoW'd CSs apart from the automatic DoW when warring with a CS's civ ally. At some point in my history of playing civ I believe after a few DoWs of CSs you would lose influence or be at permanent war with ALL CSs. Is that how it works in the latest iteration of CP/CBP?

You will get city states grow wary effects with that approach assuming you declare on multiple city states. I think that's just part of playing Mongolia effectively. The other option-to try to out military score AIs, especially on higher difficultly levels, is MUCH more costly. The result is that you'll have slightly lower resting point and increased decay on most of the city states in the game you don't eat if you declare war on them twice.

City-State Diplomacy, included with the default CBP distribution, makes it hard to hold city-state allies not in your local proximity anyway. Since you annex those as Mongolia, it's no big deal until late game, at which point you have enough hammers/gold to use diplomatic units to go over the top of the decay and resting point penalties.

tl;dr- don't worry about city states grow wary with Mongolia. It mostly works out as it should.

iirc city states grow wary penalty does not apply to all city states, only a random selection of known city states

if even it applies too all cs don't worry about it since you'll be annexing them anyway so their opinions of you hardly matters ;)

IIRC annexing via the Mongol UA doesn't actually trigger the on war 'CSs grow wary' affect, as war is never declared.

G

yes but you usually need to declare war to destroyer their units first before they will submit to annexation :p

Thanks for the info guys. I'm often not interested in warmonger type civs as much but this UA seems interesting enough now to warrant a play through sometime in the future. I like civs that lend themselves to a niche way to play and the idea of gobbling up every CS in the world seems kinda fun.

One last question- if you are able to Annex a CS using the Mongol UA without destroying their units, do you get their units as well (like the old Austria UA or the current Venice UA)? That might be the main appeal to trying to annex them without the DoW and slaughter first.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm often not interested in warmonger type civs as much but this UA seems interesting enough now to warrant a play through sometime in the future. I like civs that lend themselves to a niche way to play and the idea of gobbling up every CS in the world seems kinda fun.

One last question- if you are able to Annex a CS using the Mongol UA without destroying their units, do you get their units as well (like the old Austria UA or the current Venice UA)? That might be the main appeal to trying to annex them without the DoW and slaughter first.

No, they all die.

G

In true Mongol fashion :lol:

Ironically, the enemies of the Mongols that outright surrendered were the ones who were spared the worst punishments (still weren't treated great) while the ones who resisted were eliminated entirely. I.E. Beijing.

Ironically, the enemies of the Mongols that outright surrendered were the ones who were spared the worst punishments (still weren't treated great) while the ones who resisted were eliminated entirely. I.E. Beijing.

Usually, but in some cases a city would surrender from the onset, and the Mongols would still kill everyone. Genghis liked his blood :sad:

Top Bottom