The Monstrosity - Earth map 500x262 & The Monstrosity - Marathon edition

timerover51

Deity
@Quintillus I benchmarked the map and when the city limit reached, it took 20 seconds each turn to play.

I own a 9900K @ 5 GHz.

Since the limit reached after about 150 turns, I presume after 300 turns where civs will have a lot more units the time for each turn will be 40 sec max.

Anyhow, you need a very fast cpu with top of the line single thread performance.
That pretty much rules me out for playing the map except for a small number of civilizations, with maybe restricting the number of settlers by having the Palace auto-produce every few turns. Given my enhanced Barbarians, that should serve to keep the number of cities down. i have had some of the scenarios take over 5 minutes for a turn, at which point I stop playing them and delete the save.

When you make a monster map, have some consideration for those of us who do not have the latest and greatest computers to play on. I will try to see how it works with a few civilizations. like maybe 6 or so. I have already been changing the starting locations into something more reasonable and accurate.

Volman.me

Chieftain
That pretty much rules me out for playing the map except for a small number of civilizations, with maybe restricting the number of settlers by having the Palace auto-produce every few turns. Given my enhanced Barbarians, that should serve to keep the number of cities down. i have had some of the scenarios take over 5 minutes for a turn, at which point I stop playing them and delete the save.

When you make a monster map, have some consideration for those of us who do not have the latest and greatest computers to play on. I will try to see how it works with a few civilizations. like maybe 6 or so. I have already been changing the starting locations into something more reasonable and accurate.
Well friend, I have more bad news for you.
When epic battles start, and I am talking about 150 units stacked all over the place, that time can easily reach 2-3 minutes on my cpu.
It's not happening all the time, but it happens.
Try less civs.
Sooner or later the city limit will be reached and some of the civs will have a hundreds of units that will make war with somebody and then, for some turns you will have to wait for a few minutes.
Playing this map needs a good single threaded cpu and a lot of time and I cannot do anything about it. :sad:

Last edited:

timerover51

Deity
I will go with restricting settlers and a very small number of civilizations then, and give thought to having a fair amount of terrain unbuildable for cities.

Razuka

Chieftain
Almost 20 years ago I had a weak PC, like Celeron-433 / 128 Mb.
I was making the largest possible map with the maximum number of civilizations in the editor.
And yes... While waiting for my turn, I read books, did household chores and walked the dog :)
But I still seem to remember the epic battles on Pangaea. A long wait (sometimes for 20 minutes or more) did not spoil my game - it was something like playing chess by correspondence.

Volman.me

Chieftain
Almost 20 years ago I had a weak PC, like Celeron-433 / 128 Mb.
I was making the largest possible map with the maximum number of civilizations in the editor.
And yes... While waiting for my turn, I read books, did household chores and walked the dog :)
But I still seem to remember the epic battles on Pangaea. A long wait (sometimes for 20 minutes or more) did not spoil my game - it was something like playing chess by correspondence.
Using this logic, but no 20 minutes wait (but less), I have a small treat for you in a few weeks.
I don't want to publish it now because I beta test it for a full month (more than 100 hours) and I want to see if things work properly.

timerover51

Deity
After spending more time looking your map over, it would appear that aside from a two tile grassland island, which is presumably supposed to represent the Hawaiian Island chain, you have ignored all of the other islands in the Central and South Pacific. I am certain that the New Zealanders are excited to know that their two islands are completely grass tiles, with no trace of any mountains or even hills. Alaska and the Pacific Northwest no one gets right, so you are excused there.

In the Atlantic, aside from an odd-looking Iceland with no volcanoes, and what might be a few tiles representing the Falklands, you have no other island. This leaves out the Azores, Madeira, the Canary Island, the Cape Verde Islands, Ascension Island, and St. Helena.

There are serious problems with vegetation on the map. There was a very good reason that the area between the Mississippi River and the Rocky Mountains was called the Great Plains and the Great American Desert. I am certain that the inhabitants of Arabia and the North Africa Mediterranean coast are quite pleased that the areas have quite a lot of forests. The Sinai Peninsula also is nice and flat, with many tiles of forests, while Israel is a nice flat plain, making it great tank county.

Overall, I am trying to decide whether it is worth the effort to clean up the map to my satisfaction, knowing that it is designed to only be used by the newest and fastest computers, which I do not have and definitely will not be getting. I have enough problems playing on maps of 256 X 256 size, with no more than 6 or 7 civilizations.

Volman.me

Chieftain
After spending more time looking your map over, it would appear that aside from a two tile grassland island, which is presumably supposed to represent the Hawaiian Island chain, you have ignored all of the other islands in the Central and South Pacific. I am certain that the New Zealanders are excited to know that their two islands are completely grass tiles, with no trace of any mountains or even hills. Alaska and the Pacific Northwest no one gets right, so you are excused there.

In the Atlantic, aside from an odd-looking Iceland with no volcanoes, and what might be a few tiles representing the Falklands, you have no other island. This leaves out the Azores, Madeira, the Canary Island, the Cape Verde Islands, Ascension Island, and St. Helena.

There are serious problems with vegetation on the map. There was a very good reason that the area between the Mississippi River and the Rocky Mountains was called the Great Plains and the Great American Desert. I am certain that the inhabitants of Arabia and the North Africa Mediterranean coast are quite pleased that the areas have quite a lot of forests. The Sinai Peninsula also is nice and flat, with many tiles of forests, while Israel is a nice flat plain, making it great tank county.

Overall, I am trying to decide whether it is worth the effort to clean up the map to my satisfaction, knowing that it is designed to only be used by the newest and fastest computers, which I do not have and definitely will not be getting. I have enough problems playing on maps of 256 X 256 size, with no more than 6 or 7 civilizations.
There will be an update in a few weeks.
You are correct for the issues you said, and there will be even more small corrections I have to make.
You can wait for the update in a few weeks.
Since I have zero modding experience in creating a map, I had to playtest first before make any corrections.

timerover51

Deity
There will be an update in a few weeks.
You are correct for the issues you said, and there will be even more small corrections I have to make.
You can wait for the update in a few weeks.
Since I have zero modding experience in creating a map, I had to playtest first before make any corrections.
i will not trouble you again.

Beechnut

Chieftain
Fantastic map! Can you tell me how you got the editor to make the with greater than 362? I think your Earth is something like 500 across. I'd like to be able to make larger maps too.

Top Bottom