The most annoying thing that happens in the game

traius

His own worst enemy
I think I've figured it out: A capped vassal asking you to stop trading with his master. Not realistic (should result in the master going to war against their vassal again, if you think about it. The vassal is trying to organize an embargo against him!), and there is no meaningful choice thanks to the blended stance/diplomacy aspect of master and vassals. It boils down to "piss us off or piss us off." What a choice.

Anyways, room for argument on the most annoying thing, but that's my pick.

That sort of thing is why I turned off vassals.

Lately, every time I try to employ binary research, some joker comes along and demands the 800 :gold: I've been saving up for when my first Academy gets online.

I don't play with vassals (unless I forget to turn the option off when I start the game as in my latest game).

But it's not because of the diplomatic problems. Actually I like them very much - the more the better.

My reason is, that the end-game becomes more "stabile" with a lesser number of nations.
Too many nations with too many cities making too many wars at the same time. That is often too much for the game-engine. Even with "Lasso" running in the back-ground.

Lately, every time I try to employ binary research, some joker comes along and demands the 800 :gold: I've been saving up for when my first Academy gets online.
This is why I stop doing binary research once I've discovered currency. And sometimes before if a couple of AIs have discovered currency before me.

Haha, that rings so true. Two workers on the same tile. I move one of them, with plans for what to do with the other.

"Hey, what do you wanna do with this random galleon on the other side of the planet?"

For me, the by far worst is unreasonably unfair combat outcomes, especially early in the game when it really matters. When that happens many times in a row, I want to throw the computer out a window. Seriously.

When I am in a situation with multiple units in an area to move and don't want the game jumping somewhere else on the map after each move, I go to the options and turn off the automatic unit selection, which leaves the unit with no more moves still selected. That way I can select the local units one after another. Once I am done there, I turn the automatic selection back on, since it seems to cause a game malfunction, if I try to play with it off for the whole turn. (I haven't left it on for years now, so I don't recall what problem develops.)

Yes, some of the unit pathing/grouping mechanics drive me crazy.

I have a stack of units. I want to move some into a city to heal, leave some others on the current tile, and move 4 others somewhere else. I CTRL-click one unit, then another, then another. CTRL-click the 4th unit, and I get eleventeen other units selected as well. Unclick and pick a different unit, and I get eleventeen different units.

And I end up moving 60 units individually. :mad:

I’ve actually thought about posting a thread recently about those little annoyances.

One thing that is silly but annoys me nonetheless is all the AI scouts. If I have a warrior and trying to scout around nearby, the AI scouts love to step in my path, such that you get the prompt about declaring war. All the time. I swear I know it is all random but it seems these little buggers are intent on stepping where I plan to move. Every turn! Just to pizz me off!

I think longer about unit movement, finally figure something hopefully good out..
they are all close to each other and i move one, boom the game jumps to some irrelevant unit 30 tiles away.
No joke this makes me mad every time :lol:
For me its maybe when I prebuild a road somewhere and then tell the worker to skip turn (so it doesn't keep roading next turn). I want to alt-s a note there but it instantly jumps to a different unit after you press spacebar.

Almost all the most annoying things in my games have to do with peacevassaling. The barbarian uprising event isn't so annoying because you mostly don't lose very much time when it happens. By contrast, an inopportune peacevassal in the mid or lategame can throw hours and hours of play down the toilet.

I really wish there was an option to remove peacevassaling but keep capitulations. Playing without vassals is a poor solution for me because it makes the game feel lifeless and unfun. I dunno why, but I really like the vassal state mechanic - the absence of any kind of tributary or puppet state relationship is a major reason I lost interest in Civ 5.

Last edited:
One thing that is silly but annoys me nonetheless is all the AI scouts. If I have a warrior and trying to scout around nearby, the AI scouts love to step in my path, such that you get the prompt about declaring war. All the time. I swear I know it is all random but it seems these little b%$$£"s are intent on stepping where I plan to move. Every turn! Just to pizz me off!
Just play always war and problem solved.

I think I've figured it out: A capped vassal asking you to stop trading with his master. Not realistic (should result in the master going to war against their vassal again, if you think about it. The vassal is trying to organize an embargo against him!), and there is no meaningful choice thanks to the blended stance/diplomacy aspect of master and vassals. It boils down to "piss us off or piss us off." What a choice.

Anyways, room for argument on the most annoying thing, but that's my pick.
Unless you wish to keep the vassal's attitude up high so they will trade with you, you can just ignore everything they want from you. Vassals have no war status of their own and nothing you do to them diplomatically reflects on the master (unless, of course, you declare war/bribe war on both of them). You can make all the demands or refuse as many of theirs as you want, if you don't care about trading techs with a (likely) weaker and backwards AI that got conquered. There are exceptions, especially when the peace vassal mechanic is in play, where the little vassal is quite advanced like Gandhi/Huayna/Pacal etc but I usually focus on the bigger fish and taking it down first.

My personal gripes:
-general unit selection issues, most of them pertaining to groups and mixed stacks

-Peace vassaling in general is very advantageous for the AI due to trading rules, and the war-status rules. It is an endless headache on maps with lots of AI size disparity, where the little turds will sell themselves to a master in response to rising military powers, or my favorite, when a master accepts the vassal as war bribe just as the little horsehocky is getting his ass kicked by me, starting another war immediately and denying me the capitulation (which is why I have moved to just killing off AIs ASAP instead of fishing for caps lately, out of spite). Many reloads have been had from forgetting to check that small detail before DoWs, though it is usually able to be countered. It's poorly balanced as well because even though you can accept Peace Vassals, you benefit very little from it compared to just having the AI be Friendly/Pleased anyway. And 9/10 times I'd rather have their land or their cities than directing their research, as by the point they start doing this (It's triggered by power ratios) I'm already teched and am powering for an attack already.

-the UI buttons shifting their locations based on the availability of an action for that unit. Several times I have been just clicking through units later in the game like workers that pop up on the "needs orders" rotation only to have the spot where the "Automate" button change to something like "Fort" or have been trying to group units for a "Heal" or "Move to" order only to accidentally hit "Explore" and send the whole stack away!

-Units executing their orders before I can stop/reorder them because the game forced me to give an order to a different unit first, and doing ANYTHING other than scrolling to the unit I want to stop and ordering it to can set off the entire queued action stack (and sometimes still does after ordering the first unit on a tile, the forced shift-back will pull the trigger on the queue stack). I've had to go back 2 turns to prevent mistimed chops before. I looked into BULL but I honestly didn't want the extra info and overflow gold changes, it feels like too much.

-The AI's cheating vision through fog of war to snag unprotected workers/cities or kill a weak unit from so far away you could never expect it because, well, YOU CAN"T SEE THEIR UNITS IN THEIR TERRITORY. Extremely frustrating. A very common scenario is for them to zip down the road network from some spot 6 tiles away the turn after you take a city in a culture contested area before your culture expands to slow their movement and the lack of a city to defend frees up their nearby units somewhat. It makes me so glad that the AI cannot capture Settlers/Workers unless they are at war already. In Civ Rev they would just take your Settler/Spy no questions asked.

-A similar gripe about the fog of war, trying to give units a distance move order only to find out the AI (clarification: at war with this AI) decided to plant a unit RIGHT THERE in the projected path, under the cover of Fog of War at the spot and from wherever it moved, ruining or wasting the movement. I learned from Civ Rev to never trust waypoint pathing and move units one tile at a time, but in Civ4 mid/late game the volumes of units in play makes it unfeasible to always move one unit form each group ahead on the path to kill off a roadblock EVERY TIME I want to move a stack across the map. I regularly produce and send upwards of 400-600 war units around the map over the course of some Earth18 games, it's seriously annoying.

-hating on the combat odds is very common around here, I'm no exception. What really pisses me off about the way they roll is how ridiculous the disparity in outcomes can be. Game I'm playing right now, Izzy settles in my face, I had BFC copper, so I Axe her. Her last city is 3 archers, one fresh (no fortify), hill, no promos, 20% culture vs. 7 axes (4 of them CR1/2, one medic, one no promo, and one Cover) +2 Warriors. First try: wiped out to a man, only one archer killed. Reload: take the city losing one Axe. What. the. Hell. THAT is why I do reload early game fights because crap like this is so extreme one way or another. I had fully planned to just eat a loss that shaved an archer or two while queuing up more axes and waiting (hence the medic) as I expected 4 archers instead of 3, I had 2 more axes inbound for a total of 9 axes coming and was ready to produce 2 more since she was over 10 tiles away. Instead I turned them around and emptied the queues. I have a fair amount of experience in choking and generally wearing down AIs over time (I tore her down from 4 cities) but if it's going to be so coin flip I'd be better off creating one attacker per defender and just scum each fight, jeez. Or never even bothering to try to attack her, to the other extreme.

-the UI buttons shifting their locations based on the availability of an action for that unit. Several times I have been just clicking through units later in the game like workers that pop up on the "needs orders" rotation only to have the spot where the "Automate" button change to something like "Fort" or have been trying to group units for a "Heal" or "Move to" order only to accidentally hit "Explore" and send the whole stack away!
And when going through units to select promotions the turn after a battle.

Unless you wish to keep the vassal's attitude up high so they will trade with you, you can just ignore everything they want from you. Vassals have no war status of their own and nothing you do to them diplomatically reflects on the master (unless, of course, you declare war/bribe war on both of them). You can make all the demands or refuse as many of theirs as you want, if you don't care about trading techs with a (likely) weaker and backwards AI that got conquered. There are exceptions, especially when the peace vassal mechanic is in play, where the little vassal is quite advanced like Gandhi/Huayna/Pacal etc but I usually focus on the bigger fish and taking it down first.

-Peace vassaling in general is very advantageous for the AI due to trading rules, and the war-status rules. It is an endless headache on maps with lots of AI size disparity, where the little turds will sell themselves to a master in response to rising military powers, or my favorite, when a master accepts the vassal as war bribe just as the little **** is getting his ass kicked by me, starting another war immediately and denying me the capitulation (which is why I have moved to just killing off AIs ASAP instead of fishing for caps lately, out of spite). Many reloads have been had from forgetting to check that small detail before DoWs, though it is usually able to be countered. It's poorly balanced as well because even though you can accept Peace Vassals, you benefit very little from it compared to just having the AI be Friendly/Pleased anyway. And 9/10 times I'd rather have their land or their cities than directing their research, as by the point they start doing this (It's triggered by power ratios) I'm already teched and am powering for an attack already.

Afaik, a cautious vassal and a pleased master is a cautious master when considering you for war. Which is why it suks whe the vassal gies you the meaningless choice of "make us mad or make us mad," because there is a strong "us" component.

The other two I quoted are both top contenders for me too. So silly to watch someone peace vassal up 8 techs, get dragged into a war (which at that point, is just fair compensation for all the techs they received) and then just leave the vassalage and sue for peace with the techs they received for free. The master gets less than nothing for their caretaker status, and you watch as two ai's receive techs for nothing.

And yeah, trying to click "farm," and your cursor was clearly over "farm" and yet a fort is made is silly too.

Stuff like this:

Worker sabotage.jpg

No AI city can work that tile, or anyone else nearby, but sure, why not, let's just sabotage them by tearing down fully grown towns. Also note that there are other perfectly fine naked tiles to farm for these gormless idiots. Including towns that THEY can work for that matter.

And while we're on this topic, the usual stuff of AI workers changing tiles like: town > workshop > farm > cottage.

I bet that rifleman wants to point his gun in a different direction.

Top Bottom