1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The most fun game ...

Discussion in 'Rise from Erebus Modmod' started by Milaga, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Milaga

Milaga Prince

I'm currently in the third day of the most fun game I've ever played. I'm playing as Thessalonica and despite the Elohim's peaceful nature I've been at war for almost the entire game. My starting cross was bare except for deer, but was almost completely covered with trees and all but three plots were riverside. After building three towns the long work to spamming lumbermills began.

The Calabim rushed bronze working and DoW'd me early. While they had Moroi they did not have bronze weapons. Archery is incredibly strong for a Defender civ, and I figured on Emperor and with the starting plot I had I wasn't going to be getting any early religions or wonders. I rushed it and it saved my bacon.

While I'm fighting off the Calabim, a highly promoted Orthus strolls into my territory. It's a while before I can build up a military, and while I do Orthus razes two of my villages to dust. Eventually he throws himself at my city, and while he kills my archer, a mob of warriors finishes him off.

I've just finished rebuilding cottages when Zargaz (?) the Long Sighted leads an army into my lands. He is ridiculously well promoted after rampaging through Calabim lands. Combat V, Heroic Defense II, Drill IV. The only way to protect my improvements is to upgrade Woodsman I warriors into archers. This lets them shoot well on the tree covered hillsides and protect those lumbermills it's taken me so long to build. I fall very behind in tech at this point, since mustering 75 gold to upgrade a warrior drains the coffers quickly. He is finally driven off after I've stationed enough archers around, but not before he razes my newly built cottages. He eventually dies in Calabim lands. I make a mental note to somehow find and get that amazing bow he has. Still, the Calabim, Orthus and Zargaz invasions have left me with only a single improvement in my entire empire by turn 100. That hurts.

I found the Order and become head of the Overcouncil. Soon after I found Empyrean. Unfortunately, neither of these religions were founded in my capital. The Elohim are excellent at churning out Great Prophets, so it's not long before I have both holy city wonders.

A Devout who had a lucky kill versus a goblin archer receives Aeron's bounty. With Orthus's Axe, a Wanderer's Cloak and a Heart Pendant (or whatever the item is that gives a March promotion) she becomes ridiculously formidable. This is good because a turn prior Grigori, who was my closest friend and neighbor, declares war. And he's got Dragonslayers with Bronze weapons. This Devout, stationed in a forested hill, kills the entire Grigori stack of doom while defending, save for the archers. When it's her turn, she is unscathed. She kills three fleeing adventurers. She is, quite literally, a monster.

At this time I've met eight of my nine opponents. Cassiel was to my west. I had been gradually spreading order to his cities (to keep the Veil from spreading to them, and to grant me some gold) and we were on excellent terms. I didn't even get a popup message that he had declared war, so it might have been an event.

Auric was north of Cassiel. He was boxed in by the ocean, mountains, Cassiel and Acheron. He really doesn't play any role in the game at all and I don't even think he's gone beyond his first city. Poor guy, Acheron built his Dragon's Hoard RIGHT ON TOP of the Letum Frigus.

The Calabim were to my south and were led by Elijah. The vast equitorial desert seperated us and was enough of a deterrent to keep the Calabim out of my hair after their first failed invasion.

Reorx led the Khazad to my southeast. For some reason they went with Fellowship. It was founded by Auric early and like it's founder played no real role in the game. Reorx always seemed to love me, which is a refreshing change from other Khazad leaders who always seemed to take offense at everything I said.

To my northeast was Herne, the Kuriotates Centaur. He was the whipping boy from the start. He rushed horseback riding, which allowed him to meet almost everyone early. And everyone hated him, he was the worst enemy of almost everyone. Early on I never traded with him and he rapidly fell behind in development to everyone else.

To the far southeast was Xivan leading the Amurites. Xivan felt like being a good guy, and apart from an early war with Herne, stayed true to the role. This guy liked me, and was great for trading techs with and agreeing to my Overcouncil decisions (as well as keeping me in power.)

The the far northeast was Tsunke. The AI behind this guy hates all humans, I think, so it's no surprise that we ended up on opposite sides of a battlefield eventually. Especially after he founded the Ashen Veil. He battled with the Amurites off and on, then declared war on Reorx.

The war between Tsunke and Reorx was the first sign that things weren't going well. Reorx was at this point on the top of the scoreboard, so I figured he could handle himself. Even though he was sandwiched between Tsunke and the Calabim and was at war with both.

The Calabim had build the Prophecy of Ragnorok and were ratcheting up the Armageddon Counter. For a while Reorx had kept him in check, but when Tsunke stepped in all those Prophecy Mark Moroi were surviving. I had a lot of trees but very few food resources. Still, I cruised through the Blight without losing a single population thanks to some careful resource trading. Unfortunately, it made me pop a Great Healer instead of a Great Priest in the capital.

Before long Reorx lost a massive city to Tsunke, plummeting down the score list and making me realize how fragile his empire really was. He still worshiped the Felloship despite the fact that some of his cities didn't even have any trees! What a strange dwarf.

Meanwhile I had tech'd Engineering and managed to trade for Sorcery and Arcane Lore. I spent a good 15 turns building the Guild of Hammers and the Crown of Akharen, shoring up my economy and upgrading my archers to Longbowmen. I had lost Bambur in the fall of Hallowell so I figured it was time to switch to Order.

It was during this time I had a Devout make it through the Tsunke/Xivan battlefield and meet up with Falamar, who had a nice peninsula all to himself just east of Xivan. A good guy at heart, he soon joined the Overcouncil and the war versus Evil.

During my building period Reorx capitulated to Tsunke. A few turns later, one of Herme's giant cities fell to Tsunke. A few turns after that one of Xivans cities fell and he capitulated to the Calabim. In the span of a few turns I have gained two new enemies and I'm down to only two allies, the Kuriotates (who are probably close to capitulation themselves) and the Lanun. The Grigori, unfortunately, seem quite annoyed with me. It's only a matter of time before they declare war again. They are the most advanced civ by far and are number three on the scoreboard but that one little war we had seemed to have soured our relations forever.

It is here that I end day 3. Things look bleak. My Devout is good, but she won't be for long. I've got to rush to get Paladins so I can upgrade her (and hopefully her Aeron's Bounty promotion sticks) before she's killed. Unfortunately Reorx had Armorer Cavalry before he capitulated, so I should be seeing Tsunke's Knights any day now. I am going to try to take the Kuriotates city back first, which should keep Herne as an ally. Then strike into the heart of Tsunke's capital through Kuriotates territory. Unfortunately, I don't have much of an army now, and my siege weapons were all destroyed by those damn raiding Hippus. And Tsunke has the Nox Noctis. Most likely my invading force will be wiped out the first turn by every single horse archer Tsunke has.

I've made a few mistakes.

I was a fool for not taking the Philosophical trait. Nothing short of slashing all my forests in the capital and replacing them with farms and going Theocracy is going to get me enough Great Prophets for an Altar Victory.

I built the altar in my capital, not in the same city as the Deis Dei. I should have turned the Empyrean holy city into a Disciple factory.

I spent 15 turns researching Arete. This was pretty useless since I couldn't trade the tech, I have no use for the wonder and I would never adopt the civic.

I used the Overcouncil to aggressively. I made sure that Good was always at war with Evil. Unfortunately, Good got their butts kicked while I was building wonders.

2. Aoleleb

Aoleleb Warlord

Wish I had games like that. For some odd reason my games turn out to this formula

1. Build for a while
    2. Get a few lucky kills with a good unit/Hero OR Build some death-super-uber-godly unit (i.e. Mother)
    3. Roflstomp everyone
    4. Profit

It's depressing how bad the AI is in this game :p

3. Taimat

Taimat Chieftain

My games all turn out crap :/

Playing on price(might be monarch), due my being terribad, and nothing happens. Ever. I get slightly ahead, that lets me get further ahead, everyone just builds all the time. Not even the animals or barbs are attacking in any force. I have a treant capable of razing every city content to sit five turns outside my border for the last 150 turns, and riwell sending a stygian guard at me every so often, though they keep suiciding against my single ...Amurite swordman UU. Mutated to about 9 strength.

It isn't the settings, either, I've been playing with aggressive AI, animal invasion, orcish swarms and the other good stuff. Nobody wants to kill me, even though I have maybe ten military units in all by turn 200 :(

Latest game I have a furious thanatos right next to me with a big army. Not even he'll attack.

4. Grimz101

Grimz101 King

Deity game.. I started on a tiny continent, they all started on a single one, my expansion got severely limited by all the animals outside my borders instantly killing settlers & whatever troops.
    I'm about to get beastmasters though, and after taking the rest of my small continent i'll take archeron the dragon hopefully, kill all the griffons & take over the world, I'm 2nd in score though bannor about at 1400 to my 1000 calabim just behind with 950.. should be an interesting game but it does take about 5 minutes between each turn for the AI.

5. Milaga

Milaga Prince

Ack, five minute would drive me nuts.

Here I am all proud about my stepping up to Emperor and you are running as a Diety. Still, it is becomeing clear to me that running on the higher difficulty levels do make things more fun. I started writing this yesterday so might as well post it:

---

My games used to be like that until I finally ramped up the difficulty to Emperor. Yes, there are plenty of games one of the computers is just a runaway lead and I find myself facing down stacks of 40 iron champions with a handful of archers. There are even more games where I'm wiped out by barbarians in the first 60 or even 20 turns, but those games are short and it's easy to start a new one.

The lower the difficulty of the game, I've found, the harder a time the AI has with difficult options. At lower difficulties ranging Barbarians will demolish the AI.

On Emperor the AI is ruthless. Xivan and Herne were at war very early, despite the fact that they both were the same religion, were both Lawful Good and didn't even have borders close to each other.

---

I don't think I will have time to play tonight, but tomorrow we'll see if the Elohim can pull it off.

6. Milaga

Milaga Prince

I think I need to put in a request for a new Great Commander. She has killed a ridiculous number of horsemen.

---

Dana strode across the battlefield while combat swirled around her. A quick glance could tell her she was at the wrong part of the fight. She walked, sword limp at her side, towards the thick of the fighting. It was then she saw one, in the distance. Her pace quickened slightly but her calm demeanor never changed.

An errant spear thrust narrowly missed her head. The wind as it was withdrawn rustled her bright blonde hair but did not break her stride. She knew she had nothing to fear from that spear. It was not her fight.

She walked up to the Hippus soldier who had been chosen and paused. He was young and had been separated from his horse. Dead soldiers, both Elohim and Hippus, lay sprawled around him as he locked weapons with an opposing warrior. Beyond the doomed Hippus she could see more of her destiny, so she began.

She plunged her sword into the chest of the young Hippus horseman. His eyes clenched tightly for a moment as he fell but before his body returned to the plains his soul had already departed. More determined now she began marching towards the center of the battle. It was almost as though the armies amassed here do not even see her. Sharp weapons and struggling bodies would miss striking her by inches. Occasionally she would have to pause and parry killing strikes before her attacker is caught up in another combat and leaves her to her task.

Another sweep of her blade, another dead Hippus. Armor, weapons, bodies, they seemed to offer no resistance to her humble short sword. With each kill she feels the conflict in her heart. The pleasure she knows she must repress. The evil she is spreading. The ultimate good that her work must produce.

Soon there is only one marked one remaining. Dana stares at the Hippus Captain steering a magnificent stallion, bucking and attacking a shaky line of Elohim soldiers. The Captain is leading a squad of horsemen and, despite his mounts wild movements, is calmly barking orders as he swings his sword. He feels Dana's gaze and returns it with a stare of his own. The Captain can see her, and perhaps see her for what she is. For an instant she is frozen with fear before her training and resolve take over and she walks towards the fight.

The Elohim line breaks. While the Hippus horse squad gives pursuit, the Captain's horse rears back and then charges towards Dana. Dana stops and steadies her feet, her sword positioned defensively in front of her. All her fear is gone, she can see the outcome. The Captain is overconfident and already thinking ahead to his next battle. Instead of running her down with his horse he runs up along side her, long sword raised to deliver a killing blow.

Dana raises her own sword. The Hippus sword strikes it with a deafening crash and shatters like glass. Perhaps it is the sound, or fragments of metal, or perhaps the horse truly sees Dana as the monster she is. The proud, trained, fighting horse is spooked and throws it's rider. The Captain has been thrown before and recovers before he meets the dirt, in his hand another sword. This time Dana strikes, the Captain's instincts parry the blade and dodge it at the same time. But his sword does not stop Dana's. It breaks cleanly as Dana's sword passes through it, as do the rings on his chainmail.

The Captain falls. The pain is overwhelming. It is a testament to the strength of the man that he is even able to open his eyes to look at his killer. Dana stands over him, a look of sorrow in her ice blue eyes.

"Your suffering on Erebus will soon be over. I am sorry for what awaits you."

She sticks her sword into the Captains heart and the glaring green eyes turn glassy as his pain wracked body softens. She stares into the eyes for a moment as her emotions fight over each other before she finally withdraws her weapon.

She looks over the battlefield. The Hippus can all see her now, and she can see fear in their eyes. Those that can ride away. Those that cannot surrender to the Elohim they outnumber. Dana turns her back to the dead Hippus Captain, kneels in the dirt, and started to pray, eyes clenched shut.

She did not know why Aeron chose her. She was not raised to be a killer. A defender, a protector, yes, like all Elohim. She was trained in the arts of combat but the monks had tempered that killing skill with wisdom. She did not want to take another life, so she dedicated herself towards preserving the souls of those who died in combat. Thus it was cruel irony when Aeron met her in a dream. It was an awful bargain. Aeron would grant her the ability to murder whoever she wanted, for whatever ends she wanted, if she could provide the will. The only stipulation was that she could do nothing for the souls that she killed. And this included her own.

The ends were so noble. She killed for the greater good. But those Hippus souls belonged to men who worshiped in the Ashen Veil. She knew what awaited them.

Dana began to cry, her ice blue eyes melting onto the plains.

7. Milaga

Milaga Prince

I forgot to mention, this game ended in a rather anticlimactic way. Dana the Devout did not die. Nor did she attain Paladinhood. She crashed to desktop.

It seems since I started playing RiFE I haven't completed a game. I either quit because I was getting smashed by animals or the Apocalypse, or I couldn't play anymore because of CTDs. My first try of the Grigori ended that way around turn 200, and my most recent attempt with the Amurites ended the same.

Frustrating, to say the least.

Attached Files:

8. Grimz101

Grimz101 King

Indeed, I'm in the same situation, haven't finished a game on Rife for months, game just gets to a point where 6 turns take an hour to do.

9. admtanaka

admtanaka Warlord

I'm waiting for the next patch myself. The mid/late game CTDs make RIFE unplayable for me. I just can't motivate myself to start a new game when I know I won't be able to finish it. Let's hope the next patch takes care of it.

10. Sarisin

Sarisin Deity

Agreed. I've stopped playing RiFE for now (Defense Grid: The Awakening is a different kind of fun:)). When my folder of crashed/dead games hit 20 I decided I would stop playing, keep reading this forum and hoping the update solves these problems.

I am looking forward to all the changes, new features, etc. that have been hinted, however, unless the CTD rate is reduced, it will just be more of the same.

Although finishing a game isn't the key to whether or not a game is great, it certainly is a factor. ;)

11. Meldon

Meldon Warlord

Jeeze, I play on freaking Noble and I always get at least one powerful enemy, usually plus barbs and giant spiders. I always have problems with giant spiders.

12. Milaga

Milaga Prince

I can't even play with animals. With some bad luck you've got a strength 20 or so animal outside your borders, an animal you know will be killing your units for the next few hundred turns.

Agreed.

I had a lot of problems with fall further crashing, so I assume RiFE inherited a lot of the instability from there.

Come to think of it, has anyone even gotten to turn, say, 400 in RiFE? Is this more serious of a problem than I thought?

13. mythmonster2

mythmonster2 BEC NOIR! RUN!

I'm on turn 456, currently. (Doing a variant where I have to research ALL techs before declaring war on anyone.) No crashes here.

14. Sarisin

Sarisin Deity

It really depends on your game speed, I think. I was playing Epic speed and never finished a RiFE game.

After I switched to Normal speed, I would finish 1 in 3. However, those were all games that ended with an early Conquest, Cultural or Altar Victory. I have never finished a RiFE Time Victory game. Also, the dead-end for me in these Normal speed games is about Turn 500 where the CTDs, MAFs and time between turns makes the game unplayable.

As I've said, when I hit the wall like this, I put the saved game in a folder and come back to it, trying to play on. Sometimes I can get further into the game, but mostly it is just a dead game.

I think if you were to take a poll with the current version of RiFE you would find players finish less than 50% of the games they start. For me, the % would be lower. The whole thing I just don't get is what the guys have that allow them to (a) play games maxed out with huge maps/many civs/slow game speeds and (b) play well into those games and finish them.

I have a very good computer setup that allows me to play all the other top games out there on high settings, but no-go on RiFE.

Anyway, again, I have my fingers crossed that the testers of the new version are not getting the CTDs, etc. and when it is finally released we can go back to enjoying this modmod. :)

15. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

None that have been reported so far (at least with the newest revision; Fixed some in a prior version). ;)

We're working hard on stability... Will be absolutely vital with a certain feature for the next version (2.0, not the one we're working on now), same feature that will require me to work with Multiplayer. ;)

16. Willgar

Willgar Prince

Nice write up, thank you for sharing :)