1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The most impossible game setting:

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by axehaxe, Jun 11, 2008.

1. axehaxe

axehaxe Prince

What is the most impossible game setting you can think of?

ie: pangea, portugal, SID, 80%, raging barbs

2. Othniel

Othniel fighting for Achsah

Combine AW and One-City-Conquest in with those settings and you are probably pretty close. :D

3. A Revolutionary

A Revolutionary Beating the Drums

AW and no military:cringe:

4. axehaxe

axehaxe Prince

Ouch. I meant possible but impossible. Not impossible impossible! :lol:

5. Optional

Optional Deity

You're very kind to the respondants in this thread, Axehaxe. You could also have fumed: 'You Bimbo's, I wasn't talking about self imposed suicide rules, I was talking about game settings!' ;)

6. Othniel

Othniel fighting for Achsah

You mean he was looking for real settings? :cooool:

Hmmph. In that case, with no variants:

60% Pangea, 3 billion years, cool, arid
    Raging Barbs
    Sid (or Chieftain :dunno:)
    Max AI aggression
    Tier-1 AI civs
    Your civ: Portugal or maybe Spain

More land means the Sid civs get even bigger and nastier than with 80% water. Even if they don't find you as quick.

Spain might be worse for these settings than Portugal. Religious is of minimal value on Sid--you won't be building culture--so I think I'd rather have Scouts for early contacts. Both UUs are terrible.

7. eldar

eldar ChiefTank

Yes but seafaring will give you a coastal start and you'll have fast curraghs to explore the coast and meet people. And yes Conq's are unlikely to come into play (put it like this if and when they do you ought to be in a position to at least survive the game!)

Religious+Mil is probably the most useless combination, which is Japan... All you get is cheap barracks and harbors, and with the amount of fighting most units are likely to get promoted to Elite quickly anyway.

And of course you need both Iron & Horses anyway unless you plan to build a bunch of Samurai from scratch (and they'll be fighting Rifles most likely...).

8. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

I don't know if this qualifies or not, but it seems pretty tough:

Level: Chieftain (wait, read on . . . . )
    Map: Archipelago, highest water setting, dry
    Barbs: None
    Civ: Arabia or Japan
    Variant: All-War, no initial trading
    VC: Space

It's not like the Chieftain AI will be any sort of competition; then again, it won't be any help in getting those techs researched before 2050 . . .

9. eldar

eldar ChiefTank

Could probably manage it as an OCC without too much difficulty. Move to coast, research BW, build Colossus, then go. Trick might be avoiding a 20K win :lol:

10. Aabraxan

I guess I've gotten used to having moderately-useful trading partners to increase the tech pace in my games. You're right, though. The trick my be avoiding 20K.

Edited: X-posted with Bartleby. And on the half-price tech issue: Doh!

11. Bartleby

Bartleby Remembers laughter

On chieftain the techs are half-price.

12. Rodent

Rodent Carnage

Mostly the same as Othniel-

60% Pangea, 3 billion years, cool, arid
    Raging Barbs
    Beyond Sid I hope you have read the game .If you havent it is the one in which AIs can produce a Sword for 3 shields
    Max AI aggression
    Tier-1 AI civs
    Your civ: Portugal or maybe Spain

13. Bartleby

Recently, I've been trying Sid small pangaea games as the Sumerians, playing against three no-BW-no-WC opponents. It's quite difficult enough already.

14. eldar

eldar ChiefTank

Emperor/OCC/AW/Pangaea/SS, with anyone. That should prove a bit of a challenge that isn't necessarily utterly impossible!

15. Spoonwood

Spoonwood Grand Philosopher

Yeah... I know the techs come as cheaper on Cheiftian. I don't see any problem climbing the entire tech tree yourself there. You build the Colossus, Newton's, Copernicus's, and SETI in your captial... with a library and perhaps a temple or cathedral even, I don't think this will net you enough culture before 1900. I think you can launch before then. Better yet... I'll try it.

16. eldar

eldar ChiefTank

I was planning on just that when I got home - an OCC chieftan game will be very quick, especially AW! I won't even bother exploring just set up on the coast and see what happens. Actually the biggest problem will be getting the resources for the SS - if it's Archi and there's no Aluminium or Uranium on your landmass, you're stuffed at AW 'cos there'll be no way to get the resources over to you.

17. Spoonwood

Oh drat... I forget about the Aluminum and Uranium problem. Looking further into this Aabraxan might actually be right, at least for some maps. I scouted the map and saw the island here. Try and win this map OCC AW, SS launch on chieftian (I don't know about the uranium or aluminum problem here)... I'd like to see it.

Attached Files:

18. Bartleby

Aabraxan didn't specify OCC, though.

19. Aabraxan

You could send boatloads of workers around the world to road the AI resources for them.

Bartleby's right. I didn't specify OCC, but from the looks of responses, maybe I should have.

I thought mine might not qualify and it looks like it probably doesn't. It might on certain maps, but not generally.

20. Spoonwood

"You could send boatloads of workers around the world to road the AI resources for them."

Sure... but they won't lie within your cultural borders. Can a colony work between islands and just one city??? I ask seriously, I don't know.